Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OOP best practices

Fernando olivero-2
Hi Hernan, just wanted to get your opinion on the following method, that attempts to adhere to your "complete objects" pattern. ( ESUG 2010 TALK).

PerformedExperiment>>experiment: anExperiment start: aTime stop: aStopTime participant: aParticipant tasks: aCollectionOfTasks
        | experiment |
        experiment := self new.
        experiment experiment: anExperiment start: aTime stop: aStopTime participant: aParticipant tasks: aCollectionOfTasks.
        ^ experiment

In your experience, how does the pattern cope with large keyword selectors.

Maybe this case is not that evident, although we should try to avoid having more than 4 instance variables anyway, i would like to get your opinion on this problem (?).

Thanks,
Fernando
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OOP best practices

Hernan Wilkinson-3
Hi Fernando,
 I think that you are saying that having too many parameter could be a problem for understanding the message, is that right?
 I mean, having too many inst var as you say, it is a smell of bad design, and having too many parameters also, so I guess we agree on that.
 About reading the code, from the sender point of view, if you don't have an instance creation message that creates a "complete" object, then you would do something like this:

performedExperiment := PerformedExperiment new
   experimient: anExperiment;
   start: aStartTime ;
   stop: aStopTime ;
   participant: aParticipant;
   tasks: aCollectionOfTasks;
   yourself.

With an inst. creation message that returns a complete object, you would use it like this:

performedExperiment := PerformedExperiment 
   experimient: anExperiment
   start: aStartTime 
   stop: aStopTime 
   participant: aParticipant
   tasks: aCollectionOfTasks.

So, it is basically the same but with less messages and less error prone (in the former you can forget to send a message, ie. stop: and nobody will complain immediately, but in the last one you wont make that mistake, or if you doit you will get a dnu immediately).

About the implementation of the inst. creation message, it is true that it could bother a little the reading, but when there are so many parameters I format the code this way:

PerformedExperiment class>>experimient: anExperiment
   tasks: aCollectionOfTasks

^self new initializeExperimient: anExperiment

that makes it more readable.
Also look that there is an initializeXxx message to distinguish it from the inst. creation message. This helps when analyzing code automatically (ie. initialize messages should only be sent from the class side) or generating code automatically on the debugger with the create button (as the enhancement 3099 that I sent the other day, the debugger could be smart enough to realize it is an initialization message so it could provide a better template than just a "self shouldBeImplemented").
I the meantime, I would suggest another name for the message you are using as example, something easier to read like:

for: anExperiment
   startedAt: aStartTime 
   stopedAt: aStopTime 
   madeBy: aParticipant   "Not sure what participant is, so maybe madeBy is not a good name"
   with: aCollectionOfTasks.

I think it reads better. With the former you have duplicated "names" like "experimient: anExperiment", "start: anStartTime", etc., with the last one you don't have that problem.

Hope it helps, let me know what you think!

Hernan.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Fernando olivero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hernan, just wanted to get your opinion on the following method, that attempts to adhere to your "complete objects" pattern. ( ESUG 2010 TALK).

PerformedExperiment>>experiment: anExperiment start: aTime stop: aStopTime participant: aParticipant tasks: aCollectionOfTasks
       | experiment |
       experiment experiment: anExperiment start: aTime stop: aStopTime participant: aParticipant tasks: aCollectionOfTasks.
       ^ experiment

Maybe this case is not that evident, although we should try to avoid having more than 4 instance variables anyway, i would like to get your opinion on this problem (?).

Thanks,
Fernando

--
Hernán Wilkinson
Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
Mobile: +54 - 911 - 4470 - 7207
email: [hidden email]
site: http://www.10Pines.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Alexandre Bergel
In reply to this post by Fernando olivero-2
> PerformedExperiment>>experiment: anExperiment start: aTime stop: aStopTime participant: aParticipant tasks: aCollectionOfTasks

I guess you meant PerformedExperiment class >>experiment: ...

Alexandre
--
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Reply | Threaded
|

Fernando olivero-2
In reply to this post by Hernan Wilkinson-3
THANKS Hernan!

With the example i've got to  understand the correct usage of the pattern now. Which of course i will follow from now on, given the benefits from having complete objects! ( no messy ifNil checks for starters!, etc...)

On Oct 14, 2010, at 10:35 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

Hi Fernando,
 I think that you are saying that having too many parameter could be a problem for understanding the message, is that right?
 I mean, having too many inst var as you say, it is a smell of bad design, and having too many parameters also, so I guess we agree on that.
 About reading the code, from the sender point of view, if you don't have an instance creation message that creates a "complete" object, then you would do something like this:

yourself.

With an inst. creation message that returns a complete object, you would use it like this:

So, it is basically the same but with less messages and less error prone (in the former you can forget to send a message, ie. stop: and nobody will complain immediately, but in the last one you wont make that mistake, or if you doit you will get a dnu immediately).

About the implementation of the inst. creation message, it is true that it could bother a little the reading, but when there are so many parameters I format the code this way:

Also look that there is an initializeXxx message to distinguish it from the inst. creation message. This helps when analyzing code automatically (ie. initialize messages should only be sent from the class side) or generating code automatically on the debugger with the create button (as the enhancement 3099 that I sent the other day, the debugger could be smart enough to realize it is an initialization message so it could provide a better template than just a "self shouldBeImplemented").
I the meantime, I would suggest another name for the message you are using as example, something easier to read like:

madeBy: aParticipant   "Not sure what participant is, so maybe madeBy is not a good name"

I think it reads better. With the former you have duplicated "names" like "experimient: anExperiment", "start: anStartTime", etc., with the last one you don't have that problem.

Hernan.

| experiment |
       ^ experiment

Thanks,
Fernando

--
Hernán Wilkinson

<ATT00001..txt>

Reply | Threaded
|

Fernando olivero-2
In reply to this post by Hernan Wilkinson-3
So a "smart template" created by the debugger would just do the following, when defining the following Class method:

DNU => HIT CREATE BUTTON => Automatically create the following methods

1)
 PerformedExperiment class >> 
   madeBy: aParticipant   
| instance |
instance := self new.
instance
initializeFor: anExperiment
^ instance

2)
PerformedExperiment>> initializeFor: anExperiment
self shouldBeImplemented

Hi Fernando,

yourself.

Hernan.

| experiment |
       ^ experiment

Thanks,
Fernando

--
Hernán Wilkinson

<ATT00001..txt>

Reply | Threaded
|

Hernan Wilkinson-3
cool!
remember also the other tip, that the object should be valid from scratch... so, for this example I would do something like this:

PerformedExperiment class>>for: anExperiment
   with: aCollectionOfTasks

PatAssertionsRunner valueWith: (self assertionForPerformedExperimentStartedAt: aStartTime before: aStopTime).

That way if the stoptime is before starttime (wich I beleive is an error in this case) the object is not created and you wont have an invalid performed experiment. 
You will see that asserting that something starts before the "stop" is very common, so I suggest to use an interval to represent that but not the smalltalk Interval that does not verify that condition but the Aconcagua Interval that verifies that intervals are valid. So you could change the message to something like this:

PerformedExperiment class>>for: anExperiment
   during: aTimePeriod
   with: aCollectionOfTasks

during: aTimePeriod

Doing so you get less parameters and only valid "time periods" (intervals) that leads to valid performed experiments.
Another assertion that you may have is if aCollectionOfTasks can be empty... anyway, thinking about this constrains helps you to create a better model and understand the business rules.

I hope it helps!
Hernan.

2010/10/14 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>
THANKS Hernan!

With the example i've got to  understand the correct usage of the pattern now. Which of course i will follow from now on, given the benefits from having complete objects! ( no messy ifNil checks for starters!, etc...)

Hi Fernando,

yourself.

Hernan.

| experiment |
       ^ experiment

Thanks,
Fernando

--
Hernán Wilkinson

<ATT00001..txt>

--
Hernán Wilkinson

Reply | Threaded
|

Hernan Wilkinson-3
Almost... :-) it would be:

1)
| instance |
instance
^ instance

Save - Proceed - DNU -> Create Button ->
2)

self shouldBeImplemented.
" Suggested code - Uncomment it if you like it :-)
   experiment := anExperiment.
   startTime := aStartTime.
   stopTime := aStopTime.
   participant := aParticipant.
   taks := aCollectionOfTasks.
"

The template can be created that way because it knows it is an initialize message, so it takes the parameter names to suggest the inst var names and assign to them the right parameters.
Having these kind of "idioms" can really help when creating code automatically in such a context like the debugger

2010/10/14 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>
So a "smart template" created by the debugger would just do the following, when defining the following Class method:

1)
| instance |
instance
^ instance

2)
self shouldBeImplemented

Hi Fernando,

yourself.

Hernan.

| experiment |
       ^ experiment

Thanks,
Fernando

--
Hernán Wilkinson

<ATT00001..txt>

--
Hernán Wilkinson

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
| instance |
instance
^ instance

I don't really like this way of formatting the message with line breaks. I agree on Inline Message Pattern in Kent Beck's Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns. There's the draft here 

Look at p.127 / 128

Cheers,

Laurent

Reply | Threaded
|

Hernan Wilkinson-3
I don't like it either, but sometimes you have to use it...

2010/10/15 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
| instance |
instance
^ instance

I don't really like this way of formatting the message with line breaks. I agree on Inline Message Pattern in Kent Beck's Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns. There's the draft here 

Look at p.127 / 128

Cheers,

Laurent

--
Hernán Wilkinson