OS X bundle, some progress

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

I did some progress on the Dr.Geo bundle for OS X.

The Mac admin of my school told me to download from Safari and
authorized the drgeo.eu web site (not sure what this exactly does), then
we installed the DrGeo.app at the Application location.

DrGeo started fine but emit a startup error at the image level, related
to stdout. It looks like a stdout file can not be created. The stack is
enclosed here. When looking at the execution stack, I could not
determine (I have to go teaching) where the image wants to create this
stdout file.

Any idea or opinion on this stdout matter?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Mac-stdout.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: OS X bundle, some progress

HilaireFernandes
One useful information will be to know where stdout file is created by
default?

VM, image, home, folder, ...

Obviously there is situation with problem creating stdout files.

Can it be shutdown?

For the record, the error is REPEATABLE, Pharo started from the CLI or
from an installed Application. Once the image started:

error with stdout does not exist, force recursive file creation, filename "stdout"

This occures with stock OS X 32bits VM and Image.

Any one willing to do serious deliverable Pharo Application with Mac
will be hit by this error. Is OS X making situation more difficult?

Hilaire

Le 01/03/2019 à 23:19, Hilaire a écrit :
Hi,

> I did some progress on the Dr.Geo bundle for OS X.
>
> The Mac admin of my school told me to download from Safari and
> authorized the drgeo.eu web site (not sure what this exactly does), then
> we installed the DrGeo.app at the Application location.
>
> DrGeo started fine but emit a startup error at the image level, related
> to stdout. It looks like a stdout file can not be created. The stack is
> enclosed here. When looking at the execution stack, I could not
> determine (I have to go teaching) where the image wants to create this
> stdout file.
>
> Any idea or opinion on this stdout matter?

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: OS X bundle, some progress

alistairgrant
Hi Hilaire,

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 09:31, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One useful information will be to know where stdout file is created by
> default?
>
> VM, image, home, folder, ...

On linux and MacOS the three stdio streams exist for every process:
stdin, stdout & stderr.

If you're starting a process from the shell, they are normally
attached to the terminal (unless you redirect them).  I don't know
what happens on MacOS when you start a process from the GUI.

> Obviously there is situation with problem creating stdout files.

There's lots of MacOS users here who aren't having this problem, so my
first guess is that there's something about your environment that is
causing the issue.

Can you provide the text from System -> System Reporter -> VM General?

Cheers,
Alistair

> Can it be shutdown?
>
> For the record, the error is REPEATABLE, Pharo started from the CLI or
> from an installed Application. Once the image started:
>
> error with stdout does not exist, force recursive file creation, filename "stdout"
>
> This occures with stock OS X 32bits VM and Image.
>
> Any one willing to do serious deliverable Pharo Application with Mac
> will be hit by this error. Is OS X making situation more difficult?
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 01/03/2019 à 23:19, Hilaire a écrit :
> Hi,
> > I did some progress on the Dr.Geo bundle for OS X.
> >
> > The Mac admin of my school told me to download from Safari and
> > authorized the drgeo.eu web site (not sure what this exactly does), then
> > we installed the DrGeo.app at the Application location.
> >
> > DrGeo started fine but emit a startup error at the image level, related
> > to stdout. It looks like a stdout file can not be created. The stack is
> > enclosed here. When looking at the execution stack, I could not
> > determine (I have to go teaching) where the image wants to create this
> > stdout file.
> >
> > Any idea or opinion on this stdout matter?
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Pharo OSX bundle in Mojave - how to sign ? (Was Re: OS X bundle, some progress)

cedreek
Hi,

I tried a bit more to make DrGeo bundle works.

I have Mojave (10.14) and the problem of corrupted files seems to come from Gatekeeper with prevent unsigned applications (from unknot developper) to open.

Gatekeeper can be temporary stopped and then the bundle work, even when Gatekeeper is reactivated. But clearly, this is not a friendly user way of installing DrGeo.

So I guess the actual (old ?) bundle procedure doesn’t fit Apple politic on application security. I'm pretty sure PharoLauncher faced this already.

So my question is:
- how to make a signed bundle for OSX ?
— do we need a real developer account ? I’ve a free one and access to a paid one. Can we do it with a general « pharaoh » account like for Pharo-Launcher ?

Cheers,

Cédrick

> Le 3 mars 2019 à 15:59, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi Hilaire,
>
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 09:31, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> One useful information will be to know where stdout file is created by
>> default?
>>
>> VM, image, home, folder, ...
>
> On linux and MacOS the three stdio streams exist for every process:
> stdin, stdout & stderr.
>
> If you're starting a process from the shell, they are normally
> attached to the terminal (unless you redirect them).  I don't know
> what happens on MacOS when you start a process from the GUI.
>

>> Obviously there is situation with problem creating stdout files.
>
> There's lots of MacOS users here who aren't having this problem, so my
> first guess is that there's something about your environment that is
> causing the issue.
>
> Can you provide the text from System -> System Reporter -> VM General?
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

>> Can it be shutdown?
>>
>> For the record, the error is REPEATABLE, Pharo started from the CLI or
>> from an installed Application. Once the image started:
>>
>> error with stdout does not exist, force recursive file creation, filename "stdout"
>>
>> This occures with stock OS X 32bits VM and Image.
>>
>> Any one willing to do serious deliverable Pharo Application with Mac
>> will be hit by this error. Is OS X making situation more difficult?
>>
>> Hilaire
>>
>> Le 01/03/2019 à 23:19, Hilaire a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>> I did some progress on the Dr.Geo bundle for OS X.
>>>
>>> The Mac admin of my school told me to download from Safari and
>>> authorized the drgeo.eu web site (not sure what this exactly does), then
>>> we installed the DrGeo.app at the Application location.
>>>
>>> DrGeo started fine but emit a startup error at the image level, related
>>> to stdout. It looks like a stdout file can not be created. The stack is
>>> enclosed here. When looking at the execution stack, I could not
>>> determine (I have to go teaching) where the image wants to create this
>>> stdout file.
>>>
>>> Any idea or opinion on this stdout matter?
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo OSX bundle in Mojave - how to sign ? (Was Re: OS X bundle, some progress)

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

Today I realized another problem on some Mac OSX. It looks like when you
download an app on the net, whenever your run it, OS X re-localizes it
on a read only location. A guess a protection measure. It leads to
obvious problem.

For example, once I download DrGeo and run it, the image location
resolve to this place:

/private/var/folders/bb/spq6th0s7814jgk9nybbqjrw45hrqn/T/AppTranslocation/D0FEC575-60D6-4F2B-A1C3-3259271B9C92/d/DrGeo.app/Contents/Resources

I don't have the global picture and it is hard to understand what's
going on.

Moving to the Application place seems to resolve the issue. But some
users told me they have to move DrGeo from Download, then Application,
then back to Download to get it running without RW error.

What a strange world.

Guys, what about throwing away these Mac, the promise of freedom[1] is
longtime twisted :-)

Ok just kidding, well half-kidding.

Hilaire

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfqw8nhUwA

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo OSX bundle in Mojave - how to sign ? (Was Re: OS X bundle, some progress)

demarey
Hi Cedrick,

> Le 9 mars 2019 à 10:10, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> I tried a bit more to make DrGeo bundle works.
>
> I have Mojave (10.14) and the problem of corrupted files seems to come from Gatekeeper with prevent unsigned applications (from unknot developper) to open.
>
> Gatekeeper can be temporary stopped and then the bundle work, even when Gatekeeper is reactivated. But clearly, this is not a friendly user way of installing DrGeo.
>
> So I guess the actual (old ?) bundle procedure doesn’t fit Apple politic on application security. I'm pretty sure PharoLauncher faced this already.

Yes.

https://github.com/demarey/pharo-launcher/tree/development/signing#how-to-sign-on-os-x

> — do we need a real developer account ? I’ve a free one and access to a paid one. Can we do it with a general « pharaoh » account like for Pharo-Launcher ?

yes, you need a (paid) developper account.
See https://successfulsoftware.net/2012/08/30/how-to-sign-your-mac-os-x-app-for-gatekeeper/

I do not know if a general account for apps developed in Pharo is a good idea because it means that the reputation of all apps signed with the same certificate is shared, i.e. a security problem in one app will impact all other apps signed with the same certificate. It has to be discussed with people interested in it.

Regards,
Christophe.

Re: Pharo OSX bundle in Mojave - how to sign ? (Was Re: OS X bundle, some progress)

demarey
Hi Hilaire,

> Le 11 mars 2019 à 21:27, Hilaire <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> Today I realized another problem on some Mac OSX. It looks like when you
> download an app on the net, whenever your run it, OS X re-localizes it
> on a read only location. A guess a protection measure. It leads to
> obvious problem.
>
> For example, once I download DrGeo and run it, the image location
> resolve to this place:
>
> /private/var/folders/bb/spq6th0s7814jgk9nybbqjrw45hrqn/T/AppTranslocation/D0FEC575-60D6-4F2B-A1C3-3259271B9C92/d/DrGeo.app/Contents/Resources

Maybe (I did not do the original packaging) it is the reason why PharoLauncher is delivered as a dmg bundle.
The dmg is first decompressed (in a read only location).
You the have to copy the app to /Applications (or any other location).
Doing that should solve your problems.

Regards,
Christophe