OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
Here we go again...

dnormandin@ ~/programming/smalltalk/gst/seaside
09:17 pm >> gst-remote server started.
/opt/local/share/smalltalk/kernel/../scripts/Remote.st:280: Abort trap
(ip 0)<bottom>

I was simply trying out the examples at:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/bonzinip/seaside-development-gnu-smalltalk

l8r...
--
duke

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 01/08/2010 05:20 AM, Duke Normandin wrote:
> Here we go again...
>
> dnormandin@ ~/programming/smalltalk/gst/seaside
> 09:17 pm>>  gst-remote server started.
> /opt/local/share/smalltalk/kernel/../scripts/Remote.st:280: Abort trap
> (ip 0)<bottom>
>
> I was simply trying out the examples at:
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/bonzinip/seaside-development-gnu-smalltalk

If stdin doesn't work for you, anything that involves blocking I/O wouldn't.

Paolo

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > Problem2
> >
> > I have NOT been able to successfully compile gst from the git sources
> > -- that's the "libtool" issue.
>
> Ok, this one I can help with.  The other no, because I have no clue what
> version MacPorts is using and whether they're patching it.
>
> Can you send me the libtool script you have in your build directory?

Is that ltmain.sh?
--
duke

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 01/08/2010 05:08 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>

>>> Problem2
>>>
>>> I have NOT been able to successfully compile gst from the git sources
>>> -- that's the "libtool" issue.
>>
>> Ok, this one I can help with.  The other no, because I have no clue what
>> version MacPorts is using and whether they're patching it.
>>
>> Can you send me the libtool script you have in your build directory?
>
> Is that ltmain.sh?

No, libtool is generated by ./configure *from ltmain.sh*.

Paolo

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 01/08/2010 05:12 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:
> PROGRAM=ltmain.sh
> PACKAGE=libtool
> VERSION=1.5.22
> TIMESTAMP=" (1.1220.2.365 2005/12/18 22:14:06)"
 >
> # Which release of libtool.m4 was used?
> macro_version=2.2.6
> macro_revision=1.3012

QED.  ltmain.sh is out of sync with libtool.m4.

Just use ports' autoconf, automake and libtool instead of trying to
trick it.

Paolo

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 01/08/2010 05:12 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:
> > PROGRAM=ltmain.sh
> > PACKAGE=libtool
> > VERSION=1.5.22
> > TIMESTAMP=" (1.1220.2.365 2005/12/18 22:14:06)"
> >
> > # Which release of libtool.m4 was used?
> > macro_version=2.2.6
> > macro_revision=1.3012
>
> QED.  ltmain.sh is out of sync with libtool.m4.
>
> Just use ports' autoconf, automake and libtool instead of trying to trick it.

Hey....

No Joy!

I re-built my ports tree...
I upgraded all ports
everything on my system re-compiled with no problems, except GST. Same
problem -- bombs out on libtool. Look at this:

dnormandin@ ~
08:24 pm >> which libtool
/usr/bin/libtool

dnormandin@ ~
08:24 pm >> libtool -V
Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-698.1

This libtool from Apple is probably what's giving me grief??

What should I do? How about:

dnormandin@ ~
08:24 pm >> port search libtool
libtool @2.2.6b (devel, sysutils)
    GNU Libtool - The GNU Portable Library Tool

libtool-devel @2.3a (devel)
    The GNU Portable Library Tool

pmk @0.10.4 (devel)
    An alternative to GNU autoconf, GNU libtool and pkg-config.

Found 3 ports.

If I install libtool @2.2.6b, MacPorts will put it into
/opt/local/bin/. Isn't that going to hose the GST build?

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

Paolo Bonzini-2

> This libtool from Apple is probably what's giving me grief??

Now, yes, before, no. :-)

> What should I do? How about:
>
> dnormandin@ ~
> 08:24 pm>>  port search libtool
> libtool @2.2.6b (devel, sysutils)
>      GNU Libtool - The GNU Portable Library Tool

This one is fine.

Paolo

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > This libtool from Apple is probably what's giving me grief??
>
> Now, yes, before, no. :-)
>
> > What should I do? How about:
> >
> > dnormandin@ ~
> > 08:24 pm>>  port search libtool
> > libtool @2.2.6b (devel, sysutils)
> >      GNU Libtool - The GNU Portable Library Tool
>
> This one is fine.

dnormandin@ ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
05:58 am >> gst user_input.st
What is your name? duke normandin
Hello duke normandin!

What a way to start a day! ;)

I did a:

sudo port uninstall gst @3.1_1+gtk+tcltk

and then re-installed it, using the upgraded tools that I loaded
yesterday when I updated the ports tree. I'm happy. but...

I'd sure like to keep in sink with git repository, and be able to
build GST from it. All the GST code that the GST MacPort uses must be
on my system somewhere, in order to build. I need to find clues in
that MacPort code, in order to hack some file in the GST git tree --
but I don't know which file to look for. Any clues?
--
Duke

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > This libtool from Apple is probably what's giving me grief??
>
> Now, yes, before, no. :-)
>
> > What should I do? How about:
> >
> > dnormandin@ ~
> > 08:24 pm>>  port search libtool
> > libtool @2.2.6b (devel, sysutils)
> >      GNU Libtool - The GNU Portable Library Tool
>
> This one is fine.

Is there a way to make the GST build process use:

port contents libtool @2.2.6b | less

Port libtool contains:
  /opt/local/bin/glibtool
  /opt/local/bin/glibtoolize
  /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_dlloader.h
  /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_error.h
  /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_system.h
  /opt/local/include/ltdl.h
  /opt/local/lib/libltdl.7.dylib
.
.
.
etc

so that I can leave Apple's libtool alone?
--
duke

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

Paolo Bonzini-2

> Is there a way to make the GST build process use:
>
> port contents libtool @2.2.6b | less
>
> Port libtool contains:
>    /opt/local/bin/glibtool
>    /opt/local/bin/glibtoolize
>    /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_dlloader.h
>    /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_error.h
>    /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_system.h
>    /opt/local/include/ltdl.h
>    /opt/local/lib/libltdl.7.dylib
> .
> .
> .
> etc
>
> so that I can leave Apple's libtool alone?

I have no idea.  This is a question for a MacPorts mailing list.

Paolo

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > Is there a way to make the GST build process use:
> >
> > port contents libtool @2.2.6b | less
> >
> > Port libtool contains:
> >    /opt/local/bin/glibtool
> >    /opt/local/bin/glibtoolize
> >    /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_dlloader.h
> >    /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_error.h
> >    /opt/local/include/libltdl/lt_system.h
> >    /opt/local/include/ltdl.h
> >    /opt/local/lib/libltdl.7.dylib
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > etc
> >
> > so that I can leave Apple's libtool alone?
>
> I have no idea.  This is a question for a MacPorts mailing list.

You mis-understood my question...

I want to know if when I manually build GST using git and code from
your site with:

autoreconf -vi;./configure;make;make install

is there a way to force this process to use the /opt/local/ tree for
libtool?
--
Duke

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 01/09/2010 03:32 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:
> You mis-understood my question...
>
> I want to know if when I manually build GST using git and code from
> your site with:
>
> autoreconf -vi;./configure;make;make install
>
> is there a way to force this process to use the/opt/local/  tree for
> libtool?

Ah, okay.  Still a MacPorts question but one that I can answer

I suppose something like

export LIBTOOLIZE=/opt/local/bin/glibtoolize

in .bash_profile would make it...

Paolo

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 01/09/2010 03:32 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:
> > You mis-understood my question...
> >
> > I want to know if when I manually build GST using git and code from
> > your site with:
> >
> > autoreconf -vi;./configure;make;make install
> >
> > is there a way to force this process to use the/opt/local/  tree for
> > libtool?
>
> Ah, okay.  Still a MacPorts question but one that I can answer
>
> I suppose something like
>
> export LIBTOOLIZE=/opt/local/bin/glibtoolize
>
> in .bash_profile would make it...

cool...

But! I suppose inserting the above in my .bash_profile would hose and
MacPort builds that uses /usr/bin/libtool - the one from Apple? Is
there a way to point *only* your GST code (from git) to the
/opt/local/ tree?
--
duke

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

Stefan Schmiedl
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 07:46:44 -0700 (MST)
Duke Normandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But! I suppose inserting the above in my .bash_profile would hose and
> MacPort builds that uses /usr/bin/libtool - the one from Apple? Is
> there a way to point *only* your GST code (from git) to the
> /opt/local/ tree?

$ cd my_gst_clone
$ cat > .my_build_env
export LIBTOOLIZE=/opt/local/bin/glibtoolize
^D

Now you can do

$ source .my_build_env
$ autoreconf -vi ; ./configure ; make ; make install

whenever you want to build gst

s.

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 07:46:44 -0700 (MST)
> Duke Normandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > But! I suppose inserting the above in my .bash_profile would hose and
> > MacPort builds that uses /usr/bin/libtool - the one from Apple? Is
> > there a way to point *only* your GST code (from git) to the
> > /opt/local/ tree?
>
> $ cd my_gst_clone
> $ cat > .my_build_env
> export LIBTOOLIZE=/opt/local/bin/glibtoolize
> ^D
>
> Now you can do
>
> $ source .my_build_env
> $ autoreconf -vi ; ./configure ; make ; make install
>
> whenever you want to build gst
>
> s.

Nice! and of course, I can wrap the 2 lines in ~/bin/build_gst.sh -
which is in my $PATH - with the additional line:

cd path/to/my_gst_clone

Thanks Stefan...
--
Duke
Turner Valley, Alberta, Canada

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

Paolo Bonzini-2

>> I suppose something like
>>
>> export LIBTOOLIZE=/opt/local/bin/glibtoolize
>>
>> in .bash_profile would make it...
>
> cool...
>
> But! I suppose inserting the above in my .bash_profile would hose and
> MacPort builds that uses /usr/bin/libtool - the one from Apple? Is
> there a way to point *only* your GST code (from git) to the
> /opt/local/ tree?

No, /usr/bin/libtool is a totally different tool than GNU libtool.  It
is a kind of replacement for ar, it does not include a compiler wrapper
etc. like GNU libtool; and it does not come with a libtoolize.
Confusing, yes.

But libtool is _never_ invoked, only libtoolize.  The problem is that if
you use MacPorts aclocal and Apple libtoolize, you get libtool.m4 from
MacPorts and ltmain.sh from Apple.  So the above line will just make the
invocation of libtoolize correct, and it won't break anything that uses
Apple's libtool.

Paolo

Re: OS X gst-remote problem

dukester
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > > I suppose something like
> > >
> > > export LIBTOOLIZE=/opt/local/bin/glibtoolize
> > >
> > > in .bash_profile would make it...
> >
> > cool...
> >
> > But! I suppose inserting the above in my .bash_profile would hose and
> > MacPort builds that uses /usr/bin/libtool - the one from Apple? Is
> > there a way to point *only* your GST code (from git) to the
> > /opt/local/ tree?
>
> No, /usr/bin/libtool is a totally different tool than GNU libtool.  It is a
> kind of replacement for ar, it does not include a compiler wrapper etc. like
> GNU libtool; and it does not come with a libtoolize. Confusing, yes.
>
> But libtool is _never_ invoked, only libtoolize.  The problem is that if you
> use MacPorts aclocal and Apple libtoolize, you get libtool.m4 from MacPorts
> and ltmain.sh from Apple.  So the above line will just make the invocation of
> libtoolize correct, and it won't break anything that uses Apple's libtool.

Thanks for the explanation. I cannot believe the level of creativity
and imagination displayed by Apple in choosing the name "libtool" for
`ar' replacement! Helloooooo?? ;)

BTW, I really enjoyed your podcast with James Robertson! Now I can put
a voice to your email messages. ;)
--
Duke