classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OSCog updated

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

I've updated http://ftp.squeak.org/Cog with new source, OpenSourceCog-oscog.16.tar.gz/VMMaker-oscog.16.mcz that fixes the three issues people have found:

Nicholas' crash on loading SUnit.dtl.?? which was a very nasty bug in the GC'ing of some trace logs the VM maintains.  It was down to a difference between Smalltalk's \\ and C's %, specifically that the latter can answer something of different sign to the modulus.

The failure of GeneratorTest, superficially due to cannotReturn: crashes, but fundamentally to do with inter-page returns to frames within the page not preserving the frames above, which can be in use due to co-routining (swapSender: usage).  I hope this will fix Seaside on Cog.  Please let me know.

Crashes due to temps occurring in very simple blocks (that Cog compiles frameless) e.g. [ | b | 5 ] value.

HTH
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Vm-dev] COG, Trunk, and squeak.org

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

I'm sending this response to squeak-dev as well, as that is the more
appropriate place ...

Cog works well with trunk images; you need to have the latest updates
in there, though. If I understand your message correctly, you seem to
be unable to update to the latest trunk, right? Have you set the
update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences
(under Monticello)?

Once all the updates are in, Cog starts up my trunk image, and I'm
enjoying the speedup. :-)

Pre-built releases take time to prepare, and please bear in mind that
Cog was released just some few days ago. Also, Cog does have its
glitches (I experience some difficulties with bytecode simulation, but
also with stepping in the debugger - report upcoming) and is probably
not 100 % stable for all purposes that the non-Cog VMs were well
suited for.

To summarise, while Cog is the "latest and greatest", as you put it,
it should be considered beta. The stable Squeak release is 4.1 plus
the latest VM, and in my actually not so humble opinion it is
completely sufficient to provide pre-built releases for *that*.

Perhaps I misunderstood you here and there: apologies for that, then.

Best,

Michael

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> First, MANY thanks to everyone for bringing Cog to Squeak :)
>
> yet, i go to:
> "og, a Squeak JIT VM with 2x-10x Speedup Released
> Eliot Miranda announced that Teleplace released under a MIT license his work on a long awaited and anticipated new JIT virtual engine for Squeak and friends called Cog, with 2x-10x improvement in performance.  It is available on our ftp site."
>
> and find no way to get Cog working at all with Trunk... it seems like update options were released some time ago for 4.1, when folks were having similar problems - but i cannot get cog to accept any update preferences...
>
> what happened to the COMPLETELY PRE-BUILT releases????
>
> i think this is what confuses/infuriates some folks: expectation is to click a link and download the COMPLETE latest and greatest: here you have cog and functioning options INCLUDED in what you download from squeak.org, that allow you to choose from whatever update stream you choose... at least Trunk...
>
> windows vista 32 bit here.
>
> i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences... and i am amazed that i should have to look ANYWHERE beyond SQUEAK.ORG to waste time... the program works (except the updating via TRUNK) - did i miss the message that explains how to fix this (possibly/probably) - and if/since i did miss that clearly spelled out message, why on earth is it not spelled out clearly on squeak.org??? or did i miss it there also?
>
> otherwise, it all is very interesting :)
>
> and it seems that is working very well (cog) for some folks.
>
> i would just like to ask someone to CLEARLY EXPLAIN how to get the new Cog system working in Windows: so that i can use Trunk updates.
>
> sorry, but it just seems like when i download the Cog from squeak.org, it should not have problems connecting to Trunk... and that updating from Trunk should be a built in option in preferences... to me at least... something that you could turn off if you were not interested....
>
> thanx all,
>
> ken
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Squeak List
Michael,

the specific problem (which i thought i spelled out fairly well):  i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences...

which means that when i do, or try to reset the update site, the buttons just stop working - nothing happens when i click on them - they do not even PRETEND to be "clicked on... :)":

" Have you set the update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences(under Monticello)?"...

YES - and the buttons do nothing after i do that. i click on any button, or anything whatsoever, and the preference goes back to what it was before... i cannot "save" the preference to update via trunk (under Monticello)... that is THE issue :)

and that was the ONLY point i was trying to make :)

Thanks for replying with in a helpful way :)

ken

Hi,

appropriate place ...

update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences
(under Monticello)?

suited for.

Best,

Michael

>
>
> yet, i go to:
> Eliot Miranda announced that Teleplace released under a MIT license his work on a long awaited and anticipated new JIT virtual engine for Squeak and friends called Cog, with 2x-10x improvement in performance.  It is available on our ftp site."
>
> and find no way to get Cog working at all with Trunk... it seems like update options were released some time ago for 4.1, when folks were having similar problems - but i cannot get cog to accept any update preferences...
>
>
> i think this is what confuses/infuriates some folks: expectation is to click a link and download the COMPLETE latest and greatest: here you have cog and functioning options INCLUDED in what you download from squeak.org, that allow you to choose from whatever update stream you choose... at least Trunk...
>
>
> i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences... and i am amazed that i should have to look ANYWHERE beyond SQUEAK.ORG to waste time... the program works (except the updating via TRUNK) - did i miss the message that explains how to fix this (possibly/probably) - and if/since i did miss that clearly spelled out message, why on earth is it not spelled out clearly on squeak.org??? or did i miss it there also?
>
>
>
> i would just like to ask someone to CLEARLY EXPLAIN how to get the new Cog system working in Windows: so that i can use Trunk updates.
>
> sorry, but it just seems like when i download the Cog from squeak.org, it should not have problems connecting to Trunk... and that updating from Trunk should be a built in option in preferences... to me at least... something that you could turn off if you were not interested....
>
> thanx all,
>
> ken
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

laza
What buttons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXE1XwdtX1M

2010/6/25 Squeak List <[hidden email]>
Michael,

the specific problem (which i thought i spelled out fairly well):  i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences...

which means that when i do, or try to reset the update site, the buttons just stop working - nothing happens when i click on them - they do not even PRETEND to be "clicked on... :)":

" Have you set the update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences(under Monticello)?"...

YES - and the buttons do nothing after i do that. i click on any button, or anything whatsoever, and the preference goes back to what it was before... i cannot "save" the preference to update via trunk (under Monticello)... that is THE issue :)

ken

Hi,

appropriate place ...

update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences
(under Monticello)?

suited for.

Best,

Michael

>
>
> yet, i go to:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> thanx all,
>
> ken
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OSCog updated

Lukas Renggli
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Eliot,

> (swapSender: usage).  I hope this will fix Seaside on Cog.  Please let me
> know.

Thank you for the update, unfortunately the update does not seem to
fix the problem with Seaside.

I've ripped out the failing functionality and the associated tests.
You should be able to load Seaside-Pharo-Continuation and
Seaside-Tests-Pharo-Continuation into any recent Pharo or Squeak image
to reproduce the problem. On traditional VMs all 16 tests pass.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Seaside-Pharo-Continuation.st (9K) Download Attachment
Seaside-Tests-Pharo-Continuation.st (8K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

vaidasd
In reply to this post by Squeak List
> ...i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences...

yes, save button do not work in 4.1. One must use Alt+s to save changed field.

Reply | Threaded
|

vaidasd
In reply to this post by Squeak List
and Cog VM  crashes when updating from trunc 4.1 on Windows.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> the specific problem (which i thought i spelled out fairly well):  i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences...
>
> which means that when i do, or try to reset the update site, the buttons just stop working - nothing happens when i click on them - they do not even PRETEND to be "clicked on... :)":
>
> " Have you set the update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences(under Monticello)?"...
>
> YES - and the buttons do nothing after i do that. i click on any button, or anything whatsoever, and the preference goes back to what it was before... i cannot "save" the preference to update via trunk (under Monticello)... that is THE issue :)
>
> and that was the ONLY point i was trying to make :)
>
> Thanks for replying with in a helpful way :)
>
> ken
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm sending this response to squeak-dev as well, as that is the more
> appropriate place ...
>
> Cog works well with trunk images; you need to have the latest updates
> in there, though. If I understand your message correctly, you seem to
> be unable to update to the latest trunk, right? Have you set the
> update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences
> (under Monticello)?
>
> Once all the updates are in, Cog starts up my trunk image, and I'm
> enjoying the speedup. :-)
>
> Pre-built releases take time to prepare, and please bear in mind that
> Cog was released just some few days ago. Also, Cog does have its
> glitches (I experience some difficulties with bytecode simulation, but
> also with stepping in the debugger - report upcoming) and is probably
> not 100 % stable for all purposes that the non-Cog VMs were well
> suited for.
>
> To summarise, while Cog is the "latest and greatest", as you put it,
> it should be considered beta. The stable Squeak release is 4.1 plus
> the latest VM, and in my actually not so humble opinion it is
> completely sufficient to provide pre-built releases for *that*.
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood you here and there: apologies for that, then.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael
>
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> First, MANY thanks to everyone for bringing Cog to Squeak :)
>>
>> yet, i go to:
>> "og, a Squeak JIT VM with 2x-10x Speedup Released
>> Eliot Miranda announced that Teleplace released under a MIT license his work on a long awaited and anticipated new JIT virtual engine for Squeak and friends called Cog, with 2x-10x improvement in performance.  It is available on our ftp site."
>>
>> and find no way to get Cog working at all with Trunk... it seems like update options were released some time ago for 4.1, when folks were having similar problems - but i cannot get cog to accept any update preferences...
>>
>> what happened to the COMPLETELY PRE-BUILT releases????
>>
>> i think this is what confuses/infuriates some folks: expectation is to click a link and download the COMPLETE latest and greatest: here you have cog and functioning options INCLUDED in what you download from squeak.org, that allow you to choose from whatever update stream you choose... at least Trunk...
>>
>> windows vista 32 bit here.
>>
>> i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences... and i am amazed that i should have to look ANYWHERE beyond SQUEAK.ORG to waste time... the program works (except the updating via TRUNK) - did i miss the message that explains how to fix this (possibly/probably) - and if/since i did miss that clearly spelled out message, why on earth is it not spelled out clearly on squeak.org??? or did i miss it there also?
>>
>> otherwise, it all is very interesting :)
>>
>> and it seems that is working very well (cog) for some folks.
>>
>> i would just like to ask someone to CLEARLY EXPLAIN how to get the new Cog system working in Windows: so that i can use Trunk updates.
>>
>> sorry, but it just seems like when i download the Cog from squeak.org, it should not have problems connecting to Trunk... and that updating from Trunk should be a built in option in preferences... to me at least... something that you could turn off if you were not interested....
>>
>> thanx all,
>>
>> ken
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

laza
In reply to this post by vaidasd
2010/6/25 Vaidotas Didžbalis <[hidden email]>
> ...i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences...

There is no need to press Alt-S in a changed field, the Enter-Key just works fine. You don't need to click on any save button to make the changes in the preferences work. The save/load buttons just save/load the current state of the Preferences to memory/file. There seems to be still a bug, so that saving to memory won't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyzZxCBO-yc

Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Squeak List
In reply to this post by laza
Alexander,

i did everything in your video. many times...

and exact same as before: it updates to 9957 - and does not save the preference to update from Trunk...

thanks for your efforts - i appreciate it.

ken

To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
Sent: Fri, June 25, 2010 5:27:12 AM
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] COG, Trunk, and squeak.org

What buttons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXE1XwdtX1M

2010/6/25 Squeak List <[hidden email]>
Michael,

" Have you set the update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences(under Monticello)?"...

ken

Hi,

appropriate place ...

update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences
(under Monticello)?

suited for.

Best,

Michael

>
>
> yet, i go to:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> thanx all,
>
> ken
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Squeak List
Vaidotas,

Thank-you... that is exactly what I needed.

You deserve a raise :)

Thanks,

Ken

----- Original Message ----
Sent: Fri, June 25, 2010 9:07:37 AM

Reply | Threaded
|

Squeak List
Vaidotas,

Confirmed...again...

and seen this happen every time earlier...

thanks,

Ken

----- Original Message ----
Sent: Fri, June 25, 2010 9:10:14 AM

and Cog VM  crashes when updating from trunc 4.1 on Windows.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> the specific problem (which i thought i spelled out fairly well):  i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences...
>
> which means that when i do, or try to reset the update site, the buttons just stop working - nothing happens when i click on them - they do not even PRETEND to be "clicked on... :)":
>
> " Have you set the update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences(under Monticello)?"...
>
> YES - and the buttons do nothing after i do that. i click on any button, or anything whatsoever, and the preference goes back to what it was before... i cannot "save" the preference to update via trunk (under Monticello)... that is THE issue :)
>
> and that was the ONLY point i was trying to make :)
>
> Thanks for replying with in a helpful way :)
>
> ken
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm sending this response to squeak-dev as well, as that is the more
> appropriate place ...
>
> Cog works well with trunk images; you need to have the latest updates
> in there, though. If I understand your message correctly, you seem to
> be unable to update to the latest trunk, right? Have you set the
> update site to http://source.squeak.org/trunk in the preferences
> (under Monticello)?
>
> Once all the updates are in, Cog starts up my trunk image, and I'm
> enjoying the speedup. :-)
>
> Pre-built releases take time to prepare, and please bear in mind that
> Cog was released just some few days ago. Also, Cog does have its
> glitches (I experience some difficulties with bytecode simulation, but
> also with stepping in the debugger - report upcoming) and is probably
> not 100 % stable for all purposes that the non-Cog VMs were well
> suited for.
>
> To summarise, while Cog is the "latest and greatest", as you put it,
> it should be considered beta. The stable Squeak release is 4.1 plus
> the latest VM, and in my actually not so humble opinion it is
> completely sufficient to provide pre-built releases for *that*.
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood you here and there: apologies for that, then.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael
>
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> First, MANY thanks to everyone for bringing Cog to Squeak :)
>>
>> yet, i go to:
>> "og, a Squeak JIT VM with 2x-10x Speedup Released
>> Eliot Miranda announced that Teleplace released under a MIT license his work on a long awaited and anticipated new JIT virtual engine for Squeak and friends called Cog, with 2x-10x improvement in performance.  It is available on our ftp site."
>>
>> and find no way to get Cog working at all with Trunk... it seems like update options were released some time ago for 4.1, when folks were having similar problems - but i cannot get cog to accept any update preferences...
>>
>> what happened to the COMPLETELY PRE-BUILT releases????
>>
>> i think this is what confuses/infuriates some folks: expectation is to click a link and download the COMPLETE latest and greatest: here you have cog and functioning options INCLUDED in what you download from squeak.org, that allow you to choose from whatever update stream you choose... at least Trunk...
>>
>> windows vista 32 bit here.
>>
>> i cannot find how to make cog update from TRUNK: the BUTTONS do not work in the preferences... and i am amazed that i should have to look ANYWHERE beyond SQUEAK.ORG to waste time... the program works (except the updating via TRUNK) - did i miss the message that explains how to fix this (possibly/probably) - and if/since i did miss that clearly spelled out message, why on earth is it not spelled out clearly on squeak.org??? or did i miss it there also?
>>
>> otherwise, it all is very interesting :)
>>
>> and it seems that is working very well (cog) for some folks.
>>
>> i would just like to ask someone to CLEARLY EXPLAIN how to get the new Cog system working in Windows: so that i can use Trunk updates.
>>
>> sorry, but it just seems like when i download the Cog from squeak.org, it should not have problems connecting to Trunk... and that updating from Trunk should be a built in option in preferences... to me at least... something that you could turn off if you were not interested....
>>
>> thanx all,
>>
>> ken
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Squeak List
In reply to this post by laza
Alex
Thanks for your response: i appreciate it - as well as everyone else who helped me with this issue :)

and thanks for confiming that there may still be a bug ...

Ken

Sent: Fri, June 25, 2010 4:35:26 PM

2010/6/25 Vaidotas Didžbalis <[hidden email]>

There is no need to press Alt-S in a changed field, the Enter-Key just works fine. You don't need to click on any save button to make the changes in the preferences work. The save/load buttons just save/load the current state of the Preferences to memory/file. There seems to be still a bug, so that saving to memory won't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyzZxCBO-yc

Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] OSCog updated

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Lukas Renggli
Hi Lukas,

best
Eliot

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot,

> (swapSender: usage).  I hope this will fix Seaside on Cog.  Please let me
> know.

Thank you for the update, unfortunately the update does not seem to
fix the problem with Seaside.

I've ripped out the failing functionality and the associated tests.
You should be able to load Seaside-Pharo-Continuation and
Seaside-Tests-Pharo-Continuation into any recent Pharo or Squeak image
to reproduce the problem. On traditional VMs all 16 tests pass.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OSCog updated

Lukas Renggli
Hi Eliot,

Thank you for the quick fix. I can confirm that all 1600 Seaside 3.0
tests run green now.

However I stil get random crashes when using Seaside through the
webbrowser. Sometimes it survives 30 requests, sometimes it crashes
right after the first request. In the console I get:

nanosleep: Invalid argument
  Exited with exit code: 1

How can I further debug this? I cannot reproduce it with the tests. It
only happens (randomly) when using Seaside through the webbrowser.

Lukas

On Sunday, June 27, 2010, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Reply | Threaded
|

Andrey Larionov
Maybe this is network related issue?

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 09:48, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sometimes it survives 30 requests, sometimes it crashes
> right after the first request. In the console I get:
>
>  nanosleep: Invalid argument
>  Exited with exit code: 1
>
> How can I further debug this? I cannot reproduce it with the tests. It
> only happens (randomly) when using Seaside through the webbrowser.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
Any news on this issue? Does Seaside still crash from time to time
with the new Cog VM?
--Hannes

On 6/27/10, Andrey Larionov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe this is network related issue?
>
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 09:48, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sometimes it survives 30 requests, sometimes it crashes
>> right after the first request. In the console I get:
>>
>>  nanosleep: Invalid argument
>>  Exited with exit code: 1
>>
>> How can I further debug this? I cannot reproduce it with the tests. It
>> only happens (randomly) when using Seaside through the webbrowser.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Any news on this issue? Does Seaside still crash from time to time
> with the new Cog VM?

I couldn't reproduce it on win32 with a Squeak trunk image.

Levente

> --Hannes
>
> On 6/27/10, Andrey Larionov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Maybe this is network related issue?
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 09:48, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sometimes it survives 30 requests, sometimes it crashes
>>> right after the first request. In the console I get:
>>>
>>>  nanosleep: Invalid argument
>>>  Exited with exit code: 1
>>>
>>> How can I further debug this? I cannot reproduce it with the tests. It
>>> only happens (randomly) when using Seaside through the webbrowser.
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
Excellent, thank you.

--Hannes

On 7/8/10, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Any news on this issue? Does Seaside still crash from time to time
>> with the new Cog VM?
>
> I couldn't reproduce it on win32 with a Squeak trunk image.
>
>
> Levente
>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 6/27/10, Andrey Larionov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Maybe this is network related issue?
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 09:48, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Sometimes it survives 30 requests, sometimes it crashes
>>>> right after the first request. In the console I get:
>>>>
>>>>  nanosleep: Invalid argument
>>>>  Exited with exit code: 1
>>>>
>>>> How can I further debug this? I cannot reproduce it with the tests. It
>>>> only happens (randomly) when using Seaside through the webbrowser.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>