OSProcess and CommandShell

CdAB63
I'd like to know the state of:

    OSProcess
and
    CommandShell

under pharo.

There's a ConfigurationOfOSProcess but there's no
ConfigurationOfCommandShell.

What's working and what's not working?

Best regards

CdAB

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Miguel Cobá
OSProcess is supported and all tests are green in Pharo 1.1 and Pharo
1.2.

The stable version for Pharo 1.2 is the 4.4.0 but you can also load and
run 4.3.11 and 4.3.12 (although if you don't disable deprecations
warnings a lot of pop ups will show). 4.4.0 doesn't have problems with
deprecated methods.

To load:

Gofer new
  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfOSProcess';
  load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: #stable)
load.

CommandShell hasn't a configuration so you'll have to load it from the
monticello repository following the documentation of it somewhere in the
wiki.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Mariano Martinez Peck
Can you try evaluating

ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load.

And then

Gofer new
 squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
 package: 'ConfigurationOfOSProcess';
 load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: #stable)
load.

if it works, I explain you what it was.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM, sourav roy <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi....
while loading i m getting some error. Please advice...

c the attachment

Thanks
Sourav

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM, sourav roy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi
i tried the way to suggested but i am still getting the same error. My pharo version is 1.1.1. do you think this may be the reason.
i am attaching a snapshot.

The problem is that the Pharo 1.1.1 already has Metacello installed. But of course, the metacello of that moment.
The way you are installing OSProcess, i.e

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: #stable)  load.

use the "symbolic" version #stable which is a Metacello feature that was added to Metacello in a newer version than the one you have in Pharo 1.1.1. So...you have to options:

1) Try to upgrade your Metacello version of your Pharo 1.1.1 to the latest one. This is what I tried, but failed. THere is a way to upgrade a package in Metacello but I don't remember now. Maybe other guy now.

2) browse the implementation of #stable and you will see it is :

stable: spec
    <symbolicVersion: #'stable'>

    spec for: #'common' version: '4.4.0'.

So...you can just evaluate:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: '4.4.0')  load.

and it should work.

Anyway, I recommend you to read the Metacello chapter I wrote with Stef: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28462/Metacello.pdf

as you ca find it in  http://pharobyexample.org/

Cheers

Mariano

Thanks
Sourav

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Metacello] Re: Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Dale Henrichs

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM, sourav roy <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>     i tried the way to suggested but i am still getting the same error.
>     My pharo version is 1.1.1. do you think this may be the reason.
>     i am attaching a snapshot.
>

> The problem is that the Pharo 1.1.1 already has Metacello installed. But
> of course, the metacello of that moment.
> The way you are installing OSProcess, i.e
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: #stable)  load.
>
> use the "symbolic" version #stable which is a Metacello feature that was
> added to Metacello in a newer version than the one you have in Pharo
> 1.1.1. So...you have to options:
>
> 1) Try to upgrade your Metacello version of your Pharo 1.1.1 to the
> latest one. This is what I tried, but failed. THere is a way to upgrade
> a package in Metacello but I don't remember now. Maybe other guy now.

The following should upgrade to the correct version of Metacello:

   ConfigurationOfMetacello project updateProject.
   ConfigurationOfMetacello load.

If this fails, I am interested in a stack and an error report...

What did you try that failed?

> 2) browse the implementation of #stable and you will see it is :
>
> stable: spec
> <symbolicVersion: #'stable'>
>
>      spec for: #'common' version: '4.4.0'.
>
> So...you can just evaluate:
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: '4.4.0')  load.
>
> and it should work.
>
> Anyway, I recommend you to read the Metacello chapter I wrote with Stef:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28462/Metacello.pdf
>
> as you ca find it in http://pharobyexample.org/

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Metacello] Re: Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Dale Henrichs

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/18/2011 10:24 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>         On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM, sourav roy <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>             Hi
>             i tried the way to suggested but i am still getting the same
>         error.
>             My pharo version is 1.1.1. do you think this may be the reason.
>             i am attaching a snapshot.
>

>         The problem is that the Pharo 1.1.1 already has Metacello
>         installed. But
>         of course, the metacello of that moment.
>         The way you are installing OSProcess, i.e
>
>         ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version:
>         #stable)  load.
>
>         use the "symbolic" version #stable which is a Metacello feature
>         that was
>         added to Metacello in a newer version than the one you have in Pharo
>         1.1.1. So...you have to options:
>
>         1) Try to upgrade your Metacello version of your Pharo 1.1.1 to the
>         latest one. This is what I tried, but failed. THere is a way to
>         upgrade
>         a package in Metacello but I don't remember now. Maybe other guy
>         now.
>

>     The following should upgrade to the correct version of Metacello:
>
>       ConfigurationOfMetacello project updateProject.
>       ConfigurationOfMetacello load.
>
>     If this fails, I am interested in a stack and an error report...
>
>     What did you try that failed?
>

> ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load.

What was the failure? I would expect that expression to work without
error, but because the latest mcz version of the
ConfigurationOfMetacello wasn't grabbed from the web, I wouldn't expect
a different version of Metacello to be installed ...

So the trick is to do the #updateProject first, which pulls the most
recent mcz file from the repository and _then_ load latest...

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

hehehehehehehhehe  that's why it didn't work ;)  I forgot a little detail :)

So the trick is to do the #updateProject first, which pulls the most recent mcz file from the repository and _then_ load latest...

Thanks Dale for the explanation.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: #stable)  load.
Argghh!!!

stable: spec
        <symbolicVersion: #'stable'>

        spec for: #'common' version: '4.4.0'.

but...

version440: spec
        <version: '4.4.2' imports: #('4.4-baseline' )>

What should be changed? Is it really 4.4.2, or is that a typo?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: #stable)
> load.

Argghh!!!

stable: spec
       <symbolicVersion: #'stable'>

       spec for: #'common' version: '4.4.0'.

but...

version440: spec
       <version: '4.4.2' imports: #('4.4-baseline' )>

What should be changed? Is it really 4.4.2, or is that a typo?

Yes, and we are suffering this already (for Magma).

That would be

version440: spec
       <version: '4.4.0' imports: #('4.4-baseline' )>

Miguel ?

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Miguel Cobá
Yes, I got a mail from Martin Diaz reporting the same issue.

I will take a look this night if not very tired :)

Cheers

El jue, 02-06-2011 a las 23:38 +0200, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Sean P. DeNigris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>         Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>         >
>         > ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version:
>         #stable)
>         > load.
>         >
>

>         Argghh!!!
>
>         stable: spec
>                <symbolicVersion: #'stable'>
>
>                spec for: #'common' version: '4.4.0'.
>

>         but...
>
>         version440: spec
>                <version: '4.4.2' imports: #('4.4-baseline' )>
>
>         What should be changed? Is it really 4.4.2, or is that a typo?
>

> Yes, and we are suffering this already (for Magma).
>

> That would be
>
> version440: spec
>        <version: '4.4.0' imports: #('4.4-baseline' )>
>

> Miguel ?
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 02:29:46PM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> >
> > ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: #stable)
> > load.
> >

> Argghh!!!
>
> stable: spec
> <symbolicVersion: #'stable'>
>
> spec for: #'common' version: '4.4.0'.
>
> but...
>
> version440: spec
> <version: '4.4.2' imports: #('4.4-baseline' )>
>
> What should be changed? Is it really 4.4.2, or is that a typo?

The latest version of OSProcess is 4.4.2, which contains a number of
updates that may be relevant for Pharo. This includes better error
handling if the XDCP plugin is not present, which may be the case for
Cog or for any VM on OS X. That in turn would probably affect tests
for CommandShell if run on either Cog or OS X.

Regardless of the labeling in ConfigurationOfOSProcess, the latest
versions of OSProcess and CommandShell will almost always be the
most stable, particularly if you a running on a fast changing image
such as Pharo.

HTH,
Dave

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Miguel Cobá wrote
Yes, I got a mail from Martin Diaz reporting the same issue.

I will take a look this night if not very tired :)
Thanks!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
David T. Lewis wrote
The latest version of OSProcess is 4.4.2, which contains a number of
updates that may be relevant for Pharo.
So why don't we set up the Config to always load the latest packages? Can the stable be set this way (I guess load the baseline)?
Cheers,
Sean

El jue, 02-06-2011 a las 15:15 -0700, Sean P. DeNigris escribió:
> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > The latest version of OSProcess is 4.4.2, which contains a number of
> > updates that may be relevant for Pharo.
> >

> So why don't we set up the Config to always load the latest packages? Can
> the stable be set this way (I guess load the baseline)?

Because although it can work for the following months in a couple of
years where OSProcess uses something from the image from 2014 it wont
work anymore. It is better to link a stable version to a given version.
This number can be then corrected as tested OSProcess versions are
verified to work in a given image release. Even then, only the stable
version for that pharo release would be updated, not every possible
Pharo image.

Cheers

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 03:15:31PM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > The latest version of OSProcess is 4.4.2, which contains a number of
> > updates that may be relevant for Pharo.
> >

> So why don't we set up the Config to always load the latest packages? Can
> the stable be set this way (I guess load the baseline)?

That would be my suggestion, although I understood that "stable" was
intended to refer to some known version that had been tested with a
specific released version of Pharo. In any case, my recommendation
as the package maintainer is to use the latest versions of OSProcess
and CommandShell.

Dave

Re: OSProcess and CommandShell

+1