OSProcess and SqueakMap

Ross Boylan
I want to run the magma tester, which is much easier if OS Process is
around.  It doesn't seem to be in the image or Monticello, and I think
it is only available from SqueakMap.

What's the best way to get OSProcess into the image?  Is it already
there?  Not compatible?

A few months ago the recommendation for SM seemed to be (Adrian
Leinhard) "you can download the MCZ file using a web browser from
http://map.squeak.org/ ".  There were also indications of other
alternatives present or on the way.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan

Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 12:15:28PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I want to run the magma tester, which is much easier if OS Process is
> around.  It doesn't seem to be in the image or Monticello, and I think
> it is only available from SqueakMap.

OSProcess and CommandShell (formerly part of OSProcess until I split it)
are both on SqueakSource. For Pharo, I recommend that you load the latest
versions from SqueakSource rather than from SqueakMap (I made a fix just
yesterday that is important for Pharo users). Be sure to get the unit tests
also, they are a good source of examples.

I have not tested on the latest Pharo, but I did notice one test failure
for OSProcess the last time I checked. It was something involving coordinating
lots of (Smalltalk) processes. One of the CommandShell tests was not running
to completion either, probably for the same reason. I'm not sure if it is
still a problem on the latest Pharo or not (sorry, I have not had time to
track it down yet).

Also, CommandShell will not show up in the menus on Pharo, so you will
need to evaluate "CommandShell open" to start a shell.

> What's the best way to get OSProcess into the image?  Is it already
> there?  Not compatible?

It should not be necessary to add it to the image. I always intended for
OSProcess to be an external package, and it should be easy enough to load
for anyone who wants to use it.

Dave

Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap

Ross Boylan
On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 16:00 -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 12:15:28PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I want to run the magma tester, which is much easier if OS Process is
> > around.  It doesn't seem to be in the image or Monticello, and I think
> > it is only available from SqueakMap.
>
> OSProcess and CommandShell (formerly part of OSProcess until I split it)
> are both on SqueakSource. For Pharo, I recommend that you load the latest
> versions from SqueakSource rather than from SqueakMap (I made a fix just
> yesterday that is important for Pharo users). Be sure to get the unit tests
> also, they are a good source of examples.
OSProcess loaded fine, but CommandShell says PluggableTextController and
PluggableTextView.

> I have not tested on the latest Pharo, but I did notice one test failure
> for OSProcess the last time I checked. It was something involving coordinating
> lots of (Smalltalk) processes. One of the CommandShell tests was not running
> to completion either, probably for the same reason. I'm not sure if it is
> still a problem on the latest Pharo or not (sorry, I have not had time to
> track it down yet).
>
> Also, CommandShell will not show up in the menus on Pharo, so you will
> need to evaluate "CommandShell open" to start a shell.
>
> > What's the best way to get OSProcess into the image?  Is it already
> > there?  Not compatible?
>
> It should not be necessary to add it to the image.
I meant into my image, not the baseline image.
>  I always intended for
> OSProcess to be an external package, and it should be easy enough to load
> for anyone who wants to use it.
Do I need the OSProcess plugin?

Thanks.
Ross

Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap

Ross Boylan
On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 13:50 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> OSProcess loaded fine, but CommandShell says PluggableTextController
> and
> PluggableTextView.
... are required classes.
Ross

Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 01:50:14PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 16:00 -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 12:15:28PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > > I want to run the magma tester, which is much easier if OS Process is
> > > around.  It doesn't seem to be in the image or Monticello, and I think
> > > it is only available from SqueakMap.
> >
> > OSProcess and CommandShell (formerly part of OSProcess until I split it)
> > are both on SqueakSource. For Pharo, I recommend that you load the latest
> > versions from SqueakSource rather than from SqueakMap (I made a fix just
> > yesterday that is important for Pharo users). Be sure to get the unit tests
> > also, they are a good source of examples.
> OSProcess loaded fine, but CommandShell says PluggableTextController and
> PluggableTextView.

Those are the MVC classes for CommandShell (which works for both Morphic
and MVC). MVC has been removed from Pharo. Don't worry about these error
messages; the rest should load fine.

> Do I need the OSProcess plugin?

Yes. It is also good (but not required) to have AioPlugin and XDisplayControlPlugin.
All three are usually included in Unix VMs, and OSProcessPlugin is probably included
if you are using OS X. For Windows you would need to build it yourself.

Dave

Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap

Ross Boylan
On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 19:12 -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 01:50:14PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > >
> > > OSProcess and CommandShell (formerly part of OSProcess until I split it)
> > > are both on SqueakSource. For Pharo, I recommend that you load the latest
> > > versions from SqueakSource rather than from SqueakMap (I made a fix just
> > > yesterday that is important for Pharo users). Be sure to get the unit tests
> > > also, they are a good source of examples.
> > OSProcess loaded fine, but CommandShell says PluggableTextController and
> > PluggableTextView.
>
> Those are the MVC classes for CommandShell (which works for both Morphic
> and MVC). MVC has been removed from Pharo. Don't worry about these error
> messages; the rest should load fine.
I proceeded past the error above and another warning that MVC was not
loaded.  I've attached details on it.  The save to file doesn't seem to
have much info, so I also put in a screen shot.  The shot also show the
progress bar at the very start.

> > Do I need the OSProcess plugin?
>
> Yes. It is also good (but not required) to have AioPlugin and XDisplayControlPlugin.
> All three are usually included in Unix VMs, and OSProcessPlugin is probably included
> if you are using OS X. For Windows you would need to build it yourself.
I'm on linux.  Am I correct that the plugin source is only useful if you
then run VMMaker to make a VM--i.e., bringing it in to an image will not
get you a working plugin?

> Dave

Object-doesNotUnderstand.st (1K) Download Attachment
squeakbug.png (75K) Download Attachment

Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 04:45:05PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 19:12 -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> > > OSProcess loaded fine, but CommandShell says PluggableTextController and
> > > PluggableTextView.
> >
> > Those are the MVC classes for CommandShell (which works for both Morphic
> > and MVC). MVC has been removed from Pharo. Don't worry about these error
> > messages; the rest should load fine.
> I proceeded past the error above and another warning that MVC was not
> loaded.  I've attached details on it.  The save to file doesn't seem to
> have much info, so I also put in a screen shot.  The shot also show the
> progress bar at the very start.

Well I'm not sure what is going on then. Hopefully you've been able to load
enough to run the Magma tests.

I'll get myself up to speed with a newer Pharo image to test OSProcess and
CommandShell when I get some free time, but I can't do it right now.

> > > Do I need the OSProcess plugin?
> >
> > Yes. It is also good (but not required) to have AioPlugin and XDisplayControlPlugin.
> > All three are usually included in Unix VMs, and OSProcessPlugin is probably included
> > if you are using OS X. For Windows you would need to build it yourself.
> I'm on linux.  Am I correct that the plugin source is only useful if you
> then run VMMaker to make a VM--i.e., bringing it in to an image will not
> get you a working plugin?

Yes that's right. As long as the VM that you are using has OSPP included
(most do), you do not have to worry about loading the OSProcessPlugin package
or building a VM.

Dave

Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap

Thanks a lot david. Both are important for us.

On Sep 7, 2009, at 10:00 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 12:15:28PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
>> I want to run the magma tester, which is much easier if OS Process is
>> around.  It doesn't seem to be in the image or Monticello, and I
>> think
>> it is only available from SqueakMap.
>
> OSProcess and CommandShell (formerly part of OSProcess until I split
> it)
> are both on SqueakSource. For Pharo, I recommend that you load the
> latest
> versions from SqueakSource rather than from SqueakMap (I made a fix
> just
> yesterday that is important for Pharo users). Be sure to get the
> unit tests
> also, they are a good source of examples.
>
> I have not tested on the latest Pharo, but I did notice one test
> failure
> for OSProcess the last time I checked. It was something involving
> coordinating
> lots of (Smalltalk) processes. One of the CommandShell tests was not
> running
> to completion either, probably for the same reason. I'm not sure if
> it is
> still a problem on the latest Pharo or not (sorry, I have not had
> time to
> track it down yet).
>
> Also, CommandShell will not show up in the menus on Pharo, so you will
> need to evaluate "CommandShell open" to start a shell.
>
>> What's the best way to get OSProcess into the image?  Is it already
>> there?  Not compatible?
>
> It should not be necessary to add it to the image. I always intended
> for
> OSProcess to be an external package, and it should be easy enough to
> load
> for anyone who wants to use it.
>
> Dave

Re: OSProcess and SqueakMap

Ross Boylan
On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 14:35 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 13:50 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > OSProcess loaded fine, but CommandShell says PluggableTextController
> > and
> > PluggableTextView.
> ... are required classes.
> Ross

Chris Muller, magma's developer, says magma doesn't need command shell.
It only uses OSProcess for the tester, so simply running magma doesn't
even require OSProcess.
Ross