OSProcess in Pharo (on Windows)

Rob Rothwell
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but I can't seem to find it...

Is OSProcess running in Pharo, and what is the magic incantation to call an external program, batch file, etc... in Windows?

I seem to recall something like:

OSProcess thisOSProcess command: 'dosomething.exe'

But that doesn't seem to currently be working for me...

Thank you,

Rob

Re: OSProcess in Pharo (on Windows)

Fabrizio Perin-3
Hi,
I don't know if there were some evolution on OSProcess but sometime ago i had problem using it under Windows too. Basically under Windows some primitives used during the initialization fails. The result is that OSProcess cannot comunicate with the actual OS. So no magic incantation available as far as i know.

Cheers,

Fabrizio

2010/7/5 Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]>
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but I can't seem to find it...

Is OSProcess running in Pharo, and what is the magic incantation to call an external program, batch file, etc... in Windows?

I seem to recall something like:

OSProcess thisOSProcess command: 'dosomething.exe'

But that doesn't seem to currently be working for me...

Thank you,

Rob

Re: OSProcess in Pharo (on Windows)

Schwab,Wilhelm K
AFAICT, OS Process is broken on Windows; try ProcessWrapper there.  ProcessWrapper seems to work only on Windows.

Re: OSProcess in Pharo (on Windows)

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 11:58:06PM -0400, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but I can't seem to
> find it...
>
> Is OSProcess running in Pharo, and what is the magic incantation to call an
> external program, batch file, etc... in Windows?
>
> I seem to recall something like:
>
> OSProcess thisOSProcess command: 'dosomething.exe'
>
> But that doesn't seem to currently be working for me...

Rob,

This will work only if you have the required OSProcessPlugin. This
is not distributed with the Windows VM. If you build your own VM
it should work.

Instructions for building a Windows VM are at http://squeakvm.org/win32/

The plugin is at SqueakSource OSProcessPlugin.

Dave