OSProcess load

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dave,

Did you update the repository for CommandShell?  It still is not loading cleanly, even in a current RC1 image, so I don't think it is my build process.  I *think* all that needs to happen is that the line that processes 'help' needs to be removed and the packages should load cleanly - at least that's what happens when I save the result to my cache.

Bill

Re: OSProcess load

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 07:41:05PM -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Did you update the repository for CommandShell?

Yes.

> It still is not loading cleanly, even in a current RC1 image, so I
> don't think it is my build process.

Make sure you have this version from SqueakSource:

  Name: CommandShell-dtl.40
  Author: dtl
  Time: 18 November 2009, 10:27:48 am
  UUID: 62cd334e-61eb-4427-8441-8e4c6b3788d9
  Ancestors: CommandShell-dtl.39

  CommandShell 4.4.3
  Use text style 'DefaultFixedTextStyle' rather than 'Atlanta' and fall
  back to default if none found. Motivated by Pharo.

> I *think* all that needs to happen is that the line that
> processes 'help' needs to be removed and the packages should load
> cleanly - at least that's what happens when I save the result to my cache.

The problem was a reference to a font that does not exist in Pharo.
During loading, you should still expect to have to proceed through
the warnings about MVC classes, and you will get lots of deprecation
warning about #isMorphic unless you turn off the #showDeprecationWarnings
preference.

FYI, the command that processes 'help' is opening a command shell
window and feeding it the 'help' command.

Dave

Re: OSProcess load

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dave,

I did get .40.  However, it seems to be much better behaved if the help is not displayed.  AFAICT, removing the line avoids the interruption of what should be an unattended process.

My build process now disables the deprecation warnings.

Bill

  Author: dtl

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:18:45PM -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I did get .40.  However, it seems to be much better behaved if the help is not displayed.  AFAICT, removing the line avoids the interruption of what should be an unattended process.
>
> My build process now disables the deprecation warnings.

Bill,

Just so I understand, is this a problem because the extra window opening
is an annoyance, or because the deprecation warnings (for #isMorphic)
cause a problem, or is it because you are doing the builds with a
headless image and this actually interrupts the process? I just want
to make sure I fix the right problem, not just a workaround.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: OSProcess load

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dave,

My build is not headless, but it takes some time and I would like to be able to start it and come back later to find it done.  With my newest image, the pre-flight checklist drove me nuts, but it avoided three things (in succession, it might help to collect a nag list in one shot) that would have stopped the build after wasting varying amounts of time.

However, my clean test might not have been fair, because looking back, I'm not sure I disabled the warnings for that pass.  My message is that opening the help on initialization adds little value while increasing complexity of the setup and/or adding risk of bringing the process to a halt.  IMHO, the line should be removed.  I am loading command shell only to get the pipes; someone planning to use the shell might see this differently.

Bill