OSProcess

Carlos Crosetti-3
Hi, is rhe OSProcess designed to call out an external program from a Windows vm?

Regards, Carlos

Re: OSProcess

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Carlos,

OSProcess appears to be _designed_ to run on Windows (lots of code for same), but I am not aware that it works there.  The existing gnuplot package uses OSProcess on Linux/Mac and ProcessWrapper on Windows, and I have done the same thing when I need to run on Windows.

I have seen no evidence that ProcessWrapper works other than on Windows; if you find that it does, please make noise about that.  I *think* I like it better than OSProcess, but I do a lot more relevant work on Linux where I can't use ProcessWrapper.

Bill

Re: OSProcess

David T. Lewis
Yes, OSProcess is designed to work on Windows also. However, the functionality
is limited on Windows and the plugin is not distributed with the Windows VM, so
for most people this is not a practical solution. FFI is another alternative.

Dave

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:53:30AM -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Carlos,
>
> OSProcess appears to be _designed_ to run on Windows (lots of code for same), but I am not aware that it works there.  The existing gnuplot package uses OSProcess on Linux/Mac and ProcessWrapper on Windows, and I have done the same thing when I need to run on Windows.
>
> I have seen no evidence that ProcessWrapper works other than on Windows; if you find that it does, please make noise about that.  I *think* I like it better than OSProcess, but I do a lot more relevant work on Linux where I can't use ProcessWrapper.
>
> Bill
>

> ________________________________

Re: OSProcess

Carlos Crosetti-3
Thanks, please can you provide pointers on how to launch a external process
with Alien?

Regards, Carlos
> Yes, OSProcess is designed to work on Windows also. However, the
> functionality
> is limited on Windows and the plugin is not distributed with the Windows
> VM, so
> for most people this is not a practical solution. FFI is another
> alternative.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:53:30AM -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>> Carlos,
>>
>> OSProcess appears to be _designed_ to run on Windows (lots of code for
>> same), but I am not aware that it works there.  The existing gnuplot
>> package uses OSProcess on Linux/Mac and ProcessWrapper on Windows, and I
>> have done the same thing when I need to run on Windows.
>>
>> I have seen no evidence that ProcessWrapper works other than on Windows;
>> if you find that it does, please make noise about that.  I *think* I like
>> it better than OSProcess, but I do a lot more relevant work on Linux
>> where I can't use ProcessWrapper.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> ________________________________

Re: OSProcess

David T. Lewis
Apologies, I was referring to the traditional FFI and forgot about the change
to Alien. I'm sure it can be done similarly, perhaps someone else can give
an example. Otherwise perhaps ProcessWrapper as Bill Schwab suggested.

Dave

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 02:48:37PM -0300, Carlos Crosetti wrote:

> Thanks, please can you provide pointers on how to launch a external process
> with Alien?
>
> Regards, Carlos

Re: OSProcess

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Carlos, all,

Is Alien ready for real use?  I am getting closer to being able to produce a Pharo version of my GSL wrapper and was today reminded of the fairly extensive use of callbacks in the library - that makes sense, because much of it is algorithms that need to accept user-provided code.

My reading suggess that Alien is the way to go.  Is it?

Bill

Thanks, please can you provide pointers on how to launch a external process with Alien?

Regards, Carlos
> Yes, OSProcess is designed to work on Windows also. However, the
> functionality
> is limited on Windows and the plugin is not distributed with the Windows
> VM, so
> for most people this is not a practical solution. FFI is another
> alternative.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:53:30AM -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>> Carlos,
>>
>> OSProcess appears to be _designed_ to run on Windows (lots of code for
>> same), but I am not aware that it works there.  The existing gnuplot
>> package uses OSProcess on Linux/Mac and ProcessWrapper on Windows, and I
>> have done the same thing when I need to run on Windows.
>>
>> I have seen no evidence that ProcessWrapper works other than on Windows;
>> if you find that it does, please make noise about that.  I *think* I like
>> it better than OSProcess, but I do a lot more relevant work on Linux
>> where I can't use ProcessWrapper.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> ________________________________

Re: OSProcess

On Jan 9, 2010, at 6:26 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Yes, OSProcess is designed to work on Windows also. However, the functionality
> is limited on Windows and the plugin is not distributed with the Windows VM, so
> for most people this is not a practical solution.

do you know why?
Because this would be cool.

> FFI is another alternative.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:53:30AM -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>> Carlos,
>>
>> OSProcess appears to be _designed_ to run on Windows (lots of code for same), but I am not aware that it works there.  The existing gnuplot package uses OSProcess on Linux/Mac and ProcessWrapper on Windows, and I have done the same thing when I need to run on Windows.
>>
>> I have seen no evidence that ProcessWrapper works other than on Windows; if you find that it does, please make noise about that.  I *think* I like it better than OSProcess, but I do a lot more relevant work on Linux where I can't use ProcessWrapper.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> ________________________________

Re: OSProcess

On Jan 9, 2010, at 7:43 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Carlos, all,
>
> Is Alien ready for real use?  I am getting closer to being able to produce a Pharo version of my GSL wrapper and was today reminded of the fairly extensive use of callbacks in the library - that makes sense, because much of it is algorithms that need to accept user-provided code.
>
> My reading suggess that Alien is the way to go.  Is it?

I know fernando uses it intensively for opengl calls on mac.

> Bill

>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Carlos
>>> Crosetti
>>> Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 9:46 PM
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: [Pharo-project] OSProcess
>>>

>>> Hi, is rhe OSProcess designed to call out an external program from a
>>> Windows vm?
>>>
>>> Regards, Carlos

Re: OSProcess

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:07:17PM +0100, St?phane Ducasse wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2010, at 6:26 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> > Yes, OSProcess is designed to work on Windows also. However, the functionality
> > is limited on Windows and the plugin is not distributed with the Windows VM, so
> > for most people this is not a practical solution.
>
> do you know why?
> Because this would be cool.

Well, the functionality on Windows was always limited, and people could
always use FFI to start external programs, so I think it has not seemed
very important.

I wrote OSProcess with a goal of having it work on multiple operating
systems, even though it is doing very platform-specific things. The
design worked well and has been fairly successful, but I have to admit
that I do not personally use Windows very much, and I have not put
much effort into making the Windows version more useful. It's just
one of those projects that's been sitting on my to-do list for way
too long ;-)

Dave

Re: OSProcess

Stéphane Ducasse