OSProcess

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
It seems there are issues with OSProcess on all three Mac VMs:
* Squeak 4.2.5beta1U
* Squeak 5.7.4.1
* Cog 5.8b12

At least one problem is that 4.2.5 has the wrong (older) version of the OSProcess plugin (http://forum.world.st/OSProcess-on-1-2-td3569458.html):

David T. Lewis wrote
Some of the VMs for OS X were accidentally built with an out of
date OSProcessPlugin (OSPP). It looks like you have one of them.
You have version 4.2.4 of OSPP which was from April 2007, and
does not contain many necessary updates and fixes.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: OSProcess

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Is there an issue tracker to report bugs like this?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: OSProcess

David T. Lewis

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 05:17:17AM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Is there an issue tracker to report bugs like this?

Hi Sean,

Yes there is an issue tracker for reporting bugs related to the VM.
This is the Mantis bug tracker at <http://bugs.squeak.org>. Use category
"VM" for things related to the VM. There is also a google issue tracker
associated with Cog development, although I don't think it is relevent
to your questions here.

The plugins used by OSProcess and CommandShell (OSProcessPlugin,
AioPlugin, and XDisplayPlugin) are all maintained independently of
the VM proper. Source is on SqueakSource, and these plugins may be
included in any VM build at the discretion of the platform maintainer.
All three are normally included in the standard Unix VM, but may
not be available or fully supported on Unix Cog VMs. A Windows
version of OSPP with limited functionality is available but not
included with standard distributions. On OS X, the OSProcessPlugin
is normally distributed. I think that AioPlugin would also work
on OS X but is not distributed (I don't have a Mac to test it so
I cannot confirm).

One issue that you reported was due to the out of date plugin on
one of the Mac VMs for older machines. Esteban Lorenzano is the platform
maintainer for these VMs. I don't know if Esteban plans any further
builds for the older series of Mac VM's, but I'm sure that if he
does he'll include updated plugins (but Esteban can answer this better
than me).

I am the author and maintainer of the plugins, as well as of OSProcess
and CommandShell. However I do not have a Mac, and I do not always
keep up with the latest Pharo versions, so if there are issues beyond
just the out of date plugin, I will appreciate any debugging or patches
that you or others may be able to provide.

Thanks,
Dave

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:31:52AM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> It seems there are issues with OSProcess on all three Mac VMs:
> * Squeak 4.2.5beta1U
> * Squeak 5.7.4.1
> * Cog 5.8b12
>
> At least one problem is that 4.2.5 has the wrong (older) version of the
> OSProcess plugin (http://forum.world.st/OSProcess-on-1-2-td3569458.html):
>

> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Some of the VMs for OS X were accidentally built with an out of
> > date OSProcessPlugin (OSPP). It looks like you have one of them.
> > You have version 4.2.4 of OSPP which was from April 2007, and
> > does not contain many necessary updates and fixes.

Re: OSProcess

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
David T. Lewis wrote
Yes... the Mantis bug tracker at <http://bugs.squeak.org>
Thanks, Dave. I filed bugs for OSProcess on all three Mac VMs:
* Squeak 4.2.5beta1U http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7644
* Squeak 5.7.4.1 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7645
* Cog 5.8b12 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7646

David T. Lewis wrote
I think that AioPlugin would also work
on OS X but is not distributed (I don't have a Mac to test it so
I cannot confirm).
I can test whatever need testing on the Mac. Although I have no experience with plugins, I'm willing to learn if that would help (I've come full circle, Smalltalk is my most reason stop running away from C programming, lol).

David T. Lewis wrote
I do not have a Mac... I will appreciate any debugging or patches
that you or others may be able to provide.
Let me know how I can help.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: OSProcess

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 06:46:33AM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Yes... the Mantis bug tracker at &lt;http://bugs.squeak.org&gt;
> >

> Thanks, Dave. I filed bugs for OSProcess on all three Mac VMs:
> * Squeak 4.2.5beta1U http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7644
> * Squeak 5.7.4.1 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7645
> * Cog 5.8b12 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7646

Hi Sean,

I borrowed a Mac yesterday and was able to resolve the hanging
tests problem that you reported in Mantis 7645 "OSProcess tests
hang on Mac Cocoa VM (5.7.4.1)". I also fixed or worked around
a number of other issues in the tests related to differences
between OS X and other unixes.

If you update your OSProcess and CommandShell packages from
SqueakSource, the tests for both packages should now run to
completion. I was working with a Squeak image, so if you can
also confirm this on your Pharo image I'd appreciate the
feedback.

I updated the Mantis <http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7645>
as follows:

   This was caused by improper handling of #forkSqueak failures in
   OSProcess. I have updated both OSProcess and CommandShell to resolve
   this and a number of other problems with the unit tests when running
   on OS X. With these updates, you should expect all tests to run to
   completion, and you should expect numerous test errors and failures
   associated with all of the tests that rely on #forkSqueak for
   interprocess testing (e.g. testing file locks by forking another
   Squeak to interact with the parent).

   Note that #forkSqueak and XDisplayControlPlugin are not supported
   for the Mac VM, and I have no plans to change this. At this time,
   #forkSqueak is expected to work correctly *only* on the Unix
   standard interpreter VM.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: OSProcess

stephane ducasse-2

Thanks Dave.

Stef

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 06:46:33AM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>>

>> David T. Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes... the Mantis bug tracker at &lt;http://bugs.squeak.org&gt;
>>>

>> Thanks, Dave. I filed bugs for OSProcess on all three Mac VMs:
>> * Squeak 4.2.5beta1U http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7644
>> * Squeak 5.7.4.1 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7645
>> * Cog 5.8b12 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7646
>>

> Hi Sean,
>
> I borrowed a Mac yesterday and was able to resolve the hanging
> tests problem that you reported in Mantis 7645 "OSProcess tests
> hang on Mac Cocoa VM (5.7.4.1)". I also fixed or worked around
> a number of other issues in the tests related to differences
> between OS X and other unixes.
>
> If you update your OSProcess and CommandShell packages from
> SqueakSource, the tests for both packages should now run to
> completion. I was working with a Squeak image, so if you can
> also confirm this on your Pharo image I'd appreciate the
> feedback.
>
> I updated the Mantis <http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7645>
> as follows:
>
>   This was caused by improper handling of #forkSqueak failures in
>   OSProcess. I have updated both OSProcess and CommandShell to resolve
>   this and a number of other problems with the unit tests when running
>   on OS X. With these updates, you should expect all tests to run to
>   completion, and you should expect numerous test errors and failures
>   associated with all of the tests that rely on #forkSqueak for
>   interprocess testing (e.g. testing file locks by forking another
>   Squeak to interact with the parent).
>
>   Note that #forkSqueak and XDisplayControlPlugin are not supported
>   for the Mac VM, and I have no plans to change this. At this time,
>   #forkSqueak is expected to work correctly *only* on the Unix
>   standard interpreter VM.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Re: OSProcess

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
David T. Lewis wrote
I think that AioPlugin would also work
on OS X but is not distributed (I don't have a Mac to test it so
I cannot confirm).
It is not included in released 4.2.5 VM. If someone builds one with it, I'll test it.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: OSProcess

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
David T. Lewis wrote
I borrowed a Mac yesterday and was able to resolve the hanging
tests problem that you reported in Mantis 7645 "OSProcess tests
hang on Mac Cocoa VM (5.7.4.1)". I also fixed or worked around
a number of other issues in the tests related to differences
between OS X and other unixes.
Thanks Dave!

David T. Lewis wrote
if you can
also confirm this on your Pharo image I'd appreciate the
feedback.
Confirmed - 190 run, 112 passes, 0 expected failures, 76 failures, 2 errors, 0 unexpected passes

Sean
Cheers,
Sean