OSSubprocess equivalent in Pharo7?

Hans-Martin
Hello,
I noticed that theOSSubprocess functionality for communicating with OS
subprocesses depends on OSSAttachableFileStream which is a subclass of
deprecated FileStream (incidentally, the project is not marked as being
compatible with Pharo7).
The popen()/fgetc() based examples in UNIXProcess are blocking, which is
unusable for any but the most basic external command executions.
Are there plans to implement a proper replacement in Pharo7?

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: OSSubprocess equivalent in Pharo7?

Guillermo Polito
Hi Hans,

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:14 AM Hans-Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I noticed that theOSSubprocess functionality for communicating with OS
subprocesses depends on OSSAttachableFileStream which is a subclass of
deprecated FileStream

OSSubprocess works in Pharo7.
Yes, we should find a replacement/solution for the deprecation of FileStream, but it's not deprecated because it does not work anymore but because the new version is cleaner, clearer and more flexible.
So all existing code should continue working.

(incidentally, the project is not marked as being
compatible with Pharo7).

Are you talking about the catalog? Well, since Pharo7 is not officially released OSSubprocess has not been marked yet, that's all.

The popen()/fgetc() based examples in UNIXProcess are blocking, which is
unusable for any but the most basic external command executions.
Are there plans to implement a proper replacement in Pharo7?

Can you check if OSSubproces tests are running green for you?
Are there tests cases for cases similar to popen/fgetc?

I'm interested in knowing what are exactly the problems you've found.

Thanks,
Guille

Cheers,
Hans-Martin