OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

Rick Flower-2
Just curious if anyone has tried loading up the new Lion OS
released today and have any results on how Visualworks runs
on it? Just curious..

-- Rick

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
No problems so far :)

On Jul 20, 2011, at 9:42 PM, Rick Flower wrote:

> Just curious if anyone has tried loading up the new Lion OS
> released today and have any results on how Visualworks runs
> on it? Just curious..
>
> -- Rick

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

Conrad Taylor

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2011, at 9:42 PM, Rick Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just curious if anyone has tried loading up the new Lion OS
> released today and have any results on how Visualworks runs
> on it? Just curious..

I have been playing with Lion and VW for over a month now and I haven't seen any issues.

-Conrad

> -- Rick

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

Maarten Mostert-2
If VW actually stays up for more then a minute when running Cairo on OSX-Lion, we could speak about a major improvement !!
Maybe somebody can try to load Akamura and time for the image to go down.
If for whatever reason it doesn't please let me know ASAP, I'll be happy to run to a Mac-Store to get my hands on OSX-Lion..... LOL.

@+Maarten,

PS. I have MacBooks since 4 years now, but it remains impossible to do any VW work with OSX !!??!

No problems so far :)

On Jul 20, 2011, at 9:42 PM, Rick Flower wrote:

Just curious if anyone has tried loading up the new Lion OS
released today and have any results on how Visualworks runs
on it? Just curious..

-- Rick

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

Maarten Mostert-2
Well Cincom knows about this since years, as I already had numerous exchanges about the topic.
First I used both Cairo and Pango. As Pango was no longer supported I engineered out the Pango stuff. I then used ShowText: but if you use ShowText: in a repeated
manner it blows the image (≤7.7).
I then got away with showtext:, well I still use it but I first write on an image and then repeat the image in the animation.
Travis lately updated Akamura to get the animations to work again in 7.7.1. (thank you so much) which allows me the upgrade. This now works fine on Windows but on
OSX the image still blows.
I recently understood that he gave up making Pango stand alone due to complications. I think this is too bad. I would have preferred Cincom to pay someone inside Pango
a few dollars to have it done once for all on Linux, Windows and OSX.
Notice however that I am generally very happy with the system and the support; just don’t tease me to much with Lion support…..lol.
And please take in account that this is only my very naïve point of view….

@+Maarten,

> Message du 25/07/11 03:50
> De : "Conrad Taylor"
> A : "Maarten Mostert"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [vwnc] OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?
>
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Maarten Mostert  > wrote:
>
> > If VW actually stays up for more then a minute when running Cairo on
> > OSX-Lion, we could speak about a *major improvement !!*
> > Maybe somebody can try to load Akamura and time for the image to go down.
> > If for whatever reason it doesn't please let me know ASAP, I'll be happy to
> > run to a Mac-Store to get my hands on OSX-Lion..... LOL.
> >

> Maarten, I do not know enough about Cairo but I would file a bug report with
> Cincom if this is a supported part of the system.
>
> -Conrad
>

> > @+Maarten,
> >

> > PS. I have MacBooks since 4 years now, but it remains impossible to do any
> > VW work with OSX !!??!
> >

> > No problems so far :)
> >
> > On Jul 20, 2011, at 9:42 PM, Rick Flower wrote:
> >
> > Just curious if anyone has tried loading up the new Lion OS
> >
> > released today and have any results on how Visualworks runs
> >
> > on it? Just curious..
> >

> > -- Rick

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

andre
No problems with Lion so far, except Apple made system wide changes to
default folder permissions, which broke my VW based installer. It is
no more possible to write to "/Library/Application Support" or any of
the preferences or system extensions folders.

This means with 10.7 all of us are required to use Apple's package
format and their native installer. I strongly recommend to have a look
at Iceberg (http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Iceberg.html), which is a
great solution for building 100% compatible native installer packages.

On 24.07.2011, at 22:50, James Robertson wrote:
> Impossible is a bit harsh.  I've used the Mac as my primary platform
> since 1997, and while it hasn't been all roses with respect to VW,
> it's not been bad, either.

Nothing is impossible with VW. It only depends on how much work one
can afford to put into it.

I deploy commercial apps to OSX 10.4 through 10.7. Regarding the user
experience, they are not really on par with the flagship Pro apps from
Apple, Avid, Ableton, although they are targetting the same audience.
They perform with moderate success. To achieve this, I had to develop
my own native CoreGraphics API (couldn't afford to wait for Cairo/
Pango or Widgetry), create a new consistent L&F, add native Mac menu
support, change the keyboard handling, hack large portions of Wrapper,
come up with my own application framework, and a lot more. All in all
I spent almost the same amount of time on tools, than on the actual
solution (years).

I mean, it /can/ be done, and I am thankful that VW offers the
flexibility to do so. But it is not something that ships with VW out
of the box today. On Windows, things are a lot easier, although I can
not stress enough how important the Mac is for an environment that
claims to be cross-platform.

Andre

P.S: Today Apple has a whopping 90% market share in the segment of
personal computers over $1,000.

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
One defect that I've run in to so far: Pipes, they don't currently work. John is aware of the issue.

Cheers,
Michael

On Jul 25, 2011, at 10:07 AM, andre wrote:

> No problems with Lion so far, except Apple made system wide changes to
> default folder permissions, which broke my VW based installer. It is
> no more possible to write to "/Library/Application Support" or any of
> the preferences or system extensions folders.
>
> This means with 10.7 all of us are required to use Apple's package
> format and their native installer. I strongly recommend to have a look
> at Iceberg (http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Iceberg.html), which is a
> great solution for building 100% compatible native installer packages.
>

> On 24.07.2011, at 22:50, James Robertson wrote:
>> Impossible is a bit harsh.  I've used the Mac as my primary platform
>> since 1997, and while it hasn't been all roses with respect to VW,
>> it's not been bad, either.
>

> Nothing is impossible with VW. It only depends on how much work one
> can afford to put into it.
>
> I deploy commercial apps to OSX 10.4 through 10.7. Regarding the user
> experience, they are not really on par with the flagship Pro apps from
> Apple, Avid, Ableton, although they are targetting the same audience.
> They perform with moderate success. To achieve this, I had to develop
> my own native CoreGraphics API (couldn't afford to wait for Cairo/
> Pango or Widgetry), create a new consistent L&F, add native Mac menu
> support, change the keyboard handling, hack large portions of Wrapper,
> come up with my own application framework, and a lot more. All in all
> I spent almost the same amount of time on tools, than on the actual
> solution (years).
>
> I mean, it /can/ be done, and I am thankful that VW offers the
> flexibility to do so. But it is not something that ships with VW out
> of the box today. On Windows, things are a lot easier, although I can
> not stress enough how important the Mac is for an environment that
> claims to be cross-platform.
>
> Andre
>
> P.S: Today Apple has a whopping 90% market share in the segment of
> personal computers over $1,000.

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

StephenASmith
Downloaded the latest (as of Dec 9, 2011) non-commercial version (7.8) and when running the LaunchPad app on OSX Lion 10.7.2, it produces an error after creating a project.

The error says:

Unhandled exception: Inappropriate ioctl for device

and the only option is to hit Ok and the app terminates.  The project does get created however, and can be launched via its own image file without using LaunchPad, but hopefully this can be fixed soon?

Tried to notify Cincom Smalltalk support from their website, but you seem to be able to submit a ticket only if you are an existing Cincom customer?  If you just want to let them know something is broken (I'm not looking for support because I'm not a paying customer <yet> and I understand that concept) it seems to be not so easy to just let them know a problem exists. Hence the reason I'm posting here.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Skinny question

Carl Gundel-2
Will Skinny be a Windows only feature?

-Carl Gundel
Liberty BASIC for Windows - http://www.libertybasic.com
Run BASIC, easy web programming - http://www.runbasic.com

Re: Skinny question

Travis Griggs-4
On Dec 9, 2011, at 10:05 PM, Carl Gundel wrote:

> Will Skinny be a Windows only feature?

Currsent skins run on both OSX (10.5 thru 10.7) and Windows (2K thru 7). If you turn them on, you'll get skinned versions of push buttons, radio buttons, and check boxes. I've been working on ScrollBars. ScrollBars are a much bigger issue than the more "atomic" widgets. I'm close. OSX has to have support for not only 10.5/6 scrollbars (in two different layouts), but 10.7 replaces those two with two new kinds of scrollbars with modal directions. So we end up with a total of 6 look/behaviors we have to get right. And I'm trying to do a bug chunk of upgrading on the scrolling mechanism in general (I wan't to see if we can quit doing gc copying).

On Linux, I'm at a bit of loss. I know there was a squeak project to integrate with GTK a while back, and I know there's a GST<->GTK binding. What I haven't been able to do is direct the the GTK theming model enough to see if we can use it the same way we've been able to exploit the Windows theme engine and OSX art files. So far, my research has led me to believe that the GTK theming engine is a mix of static graphics, and C libraries which consume said graphics, as well as behavior embedded in the widgets themselves. If anyone has some helpful hints about the details of how to take advantage of the GTK themes, I would love to get a note from you.

I would live to find a free and easy to exploit web based UI theme kit… I haven't yet found one. Same thing as above, if you know of such a thing and have pointers for how to get/use said resources, I would love to get a note from you.

As for AIX and Solaris… I doubt anything like Skins will ever be there. But that's not ultimately my decision to make. Management gets to make the hard decisions about whether to go forward at the expense of what are essentially dead platforms wrt desktop apps, or to support all of them, at the expense of trying to sell/market 15 year old desktop app technology.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

John Sarkela
Lion is the first version of OSX to boot the 64-bit kernel by default. There is a difference between how the 64-bit kernel and the 32-bit kernel handle ioctls. In particular one of the ioctl's used to condition a pipe file descriptor does returns an error on the 64-bit kernel.

This has been addressed in the 7.8.1 source code base, and this point release is currently in release candidate status.

Short answer, is that a more Lion friendly vm will be available upon release of 7.8.1.

John Sarkela

On 12/9/2011 9:41 PM, sst wrote:

> Downloaded the latest (as of Dec 9, 2011) non-commercial version (7.8) and
> when running the LaunchPad app on OSX Lion 10.7.2, it produces an error
> after creating a project.
>
> The error says:
>
> Unhandled exception: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> and the only option is to hit Ok and the app terminates.  The project does
> get created however, and can be launched via its own image file without
> using LaunchPad, but hopefully this can be fixed soon?
>
> Tried to notify Cincom Smalltalk support from their website, but you seem to
> be able to submit a ticket only if you are an existing Cincom customer?  If
> you just want to let them know something is broken (I'm not looking for
> support because I'm not a paying customer<yet>  and I understand that
> concept) it seems to be not so easy to just let them know a problem exists.
> Hence the reason I'm posting here.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

Alan Knight-2
Yes, that's a known problem with Mac OS X in 64-bit mode if you try to use pipes. It probably won't affect your usage outside the launchpad that much unless you try to use external processes. The 7.8.1 VM, available very soon now, will fix it, or it will work if you're in 32-bit mode.

[hidden email]
10 December, 2011 12:41 AM

[...]

21 July, 2011 12:42 AM

Just curious if anyone has tried loading up the new Lion OS
released today and have any results on how Visualworks runs
on it? Just curious..

-- Rick

John Sarkela

Re: OSX-Lion Compatability with Visualworks..?

Nowak, Helge
Thanks for posting! Error reports are always welcome. This is a known problem. It is fixed in 7.8.1 which will be available soon.

Cheers
Helge

7.8.1 Release Date

jarober
Can you quantify "soon" a bit more specifically?  We have a general task of upgrading to 7.8 hanging out there, and it would be good to know whether it'll just morph into an "upgrade to 7.8.1" task.

On Dec 12, 2011, at 5:20 AM, Nowak, Helge wrote:

> Thanks for posting! Error reports are always welcome. This is a known problem. It is fixed in 7.8.1 which will be available soon.
>
> Cheers
> Helge

Re: 7.8.1 Release Date

Alan Knight-2
Yes, it will morph into that. But it should be a very easy morph, as the changes in 7.8.1 are specifically limited to bug fixes with limited code changes.

[hidden email]
12 December, 2011 7:39 AM

Can you quantify "soon" a bit more specifically? We have a general task of upgrading to 7.8 hanging out there, and it would be good to know whether it'll just morph into an "upgrade to 7.8.1" task.

12 December, 2011 5:20 AM

Thanks for posting! Error reports are always welcome. This is a known problem. It is fixed in 7.8.1 which will be available soon.

Cheers
Helge

Re: 7.8.1 Release Date

Hubert Baumeister
On 12/12/2011 02:41 PM, Alan Knight wrote:
> Yes, it will morph into that. But it should be a very easy morph, as the
> changes in 7.8.1 are specifically limited to bug fixes with limited code
> changes.

So the question remains when :-) I am desperately waiting for the fix,
so that I can use external processes on a 64bit Mac.

I was on my way of porting a 5i.3 image on Linux to Mac OS Lion, when I
needed to stop, because I could not call external processes anymore. A
central part of my application is done via calling external processes
(e.g. running LaTeX, calling an external previewer, spell checking etc).

I was told that a new Mac VM containing the fix for external processes
should have been out end of November, but alas, it does not seem to be
the case.

The solution I use now is to run my 5i.3 image using VirtualBox running
Linux on a Mac :-(

Cheers,
        Hubert

>> James Robertson <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> 12 December, 2011 7:39 AM
>>

>> Can you quantify "soon" a bit more specifically? We have a general
>> task of upgrading to 7.8 hanging out there, and it would be good to
>> know whether it'll just morph into an "upgrade to 7.8.1" task.

>> Nowak, Helge <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> 12 December, 2011 5:20 AM
>>

>> Thanks for posting! Error reports are always welcome. This is a known
>> problem. It is fixed in 7.8.1 which will be available soon.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Helge

Hubert Baumeister
Head of Section Software Engineering
Associate Professor
mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~hub
phone/skype: (+45)4525-3729 / hubert.baumeister

Re: 7.8.1 Release Date

Alan Knight-2
Distribution has master CDs at this point, so it will be very soon, and if you are in urgent need I expect that support would be able to give you the VM.

[hidden email]
16 December, 2011 12:07 PM

[...]

James Robertson [hidden email]
12 December, 2011 7:39 AM

Can you quantify "soon" a bit more specifically? We have a general
task of upgrading to 7.8 hanging out there, and it would be good to
know whether it'll just morph into an "upgrade to 7.8.1" task.

Nowak, Helge [hidden email]
12 December, 2011 5:20 AM

[...]

sst [hidden email]
10 December, 2011 12:41 AM

[...]

Rick Flower [hidden email]
21 July, 2011 12:42 AM

Just curious if anyone has tried loading up the new Lion OS
released today and have any results on how Visualworks runs
on it? Just curious..

-- Rick

12 December, 2011 8:41 AM