OSX Pharo Shout Workspace is laggy

sergio_101
i just downloaded the latest pharo image, and everything seems good,
but the problem i am having is that when the dropdowns appear for tab
completion, there is a noticeable lag in the system. it takes a few
seconds to select one of the drop down items.. about four seconds or
so..

my machine is a newer high powered macbook pro..

has anyone seen anything like this before?

thanks!

--
----
peace,

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: OSX Pharo Shout Workspace is laggy

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, sergio_101 wrote:

> i just downloaded the latest pharo image, and everything seems good,

Is that Pharo 1.1.1 or Pharo 1.2? If it's Pharo 1.2, are you using
eCompletion or OCompletion?

Levente

> but the problem i am having is that when the dropdowns appear for tab
> completion, there is a noticeable lag in the system. it takes a few
> seconds to select one of the drop down items.. about four seconds or
> so..
>
> my machine is a newer high powered macbook pro..
>
> has anyone seen anything like this before?
>
> thanks!
>
> --
> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> http://www.CodingForHire.com
> http://www.coffee-black.com
> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: OSX Pharo Shout Workspace is laggy

sergio_101
> Is that Pharo 1.1.1 or Pharo 1.2? If it's Pharo 1.2, are you using
> eCompletion or OCompletion?

Pharo-1.1-11411
Latest update: #11411

not sure how to tell which completion i am using....

thanks!

--
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.CodingForHire.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: OSX Pharo Shout Workspace is laggy

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, sergio_101 wrote:

>> Is that Pharo 1.1.1 or Pharo 1.2? If it's Pharo 1.2, are you using
>> eCompletion or OCompletion?
>>

> Pharo-1.1-11411
> Latest update: #11411
>
> not sure how to tell which completion i am using....

In that case you're using OCompletion. If you load it's latest version, it
should be significantly faster. Here's a script for loading it:

Gofer new
  squeaksource: 'OCompletion';
  package: 'Ocompletion';
  load.

This solves all but two bottlenecks (which are related to Shout). One of
them can be fixed by filing in this patch:
http://leves.web.elte.hu/squeak/SystemDictionary.ul.1.cs
Here's a script to do it:

'http://leves.web.elte.hu/squeak/SystemDictionary.ul.1.cs' asUrl
retrieveContents contentStream fileInAnnouncing: 'Loading...'.

I'm working on the solution for the last bottleneck (which occurs when
your code doesn't look like Smalltalk code at all, or when it sends
several unimplemented messages), but that probably doesn't bite you at
all.

Levente

> thanks!
>

> --
> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> http://www.CodingForHire.com
> http://www.coffee-black.com
> http://www.painlessfrugality.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: OSX Pharo Shout Workspace is laggy

sergio_101

> In that case you're using OCompletion. If you load it's latest version, it
> should be significantly faster. Here's a script for loading it:

great! got it.. working with this now..

thanks!

--
----