[OT] Booting on top of JS in webbrowser

Torsten Bergmann
While in the past we had OS-platforms where Smalltalk provided VM solutions.
Then there was/is .NET and Java as platform. Nowedays the browser becomes the
next platform with bootable stuff directly on top of JavaScript.

http://bellard.org/jslinux/

http://copy.sh/v24/  (Try to boot visual Colibri OS)

http://vps2.etotheipiplusone.com:30176/redmine/projects/emscripten-qt/wiki/Demos

CogVM with Pharo or SqueakNOS on top of JavaScript anyone ;)

Bye
T.

Re: [OT] Booting on top of JS in webbrowser

Frank Shearar-3
On 6 November 2013 15:25, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While in the past we had OS-platforms where Smalltalk provided VM solutions.
> Then there was/is .NET and Java as platform. Nowedays the browser becomes the
> next platform with bootable stuff directly on top of JavaScript.
>
> http://bellard.org/jslinux/
>
> http://copy.sh/v24/  (Try to boot visual Colibri OS)
>
> http://vps2.etotheipiplusone.com:30176/redmine/projects/emscripten-qt/wiki/Demos
>
> CogVM with Pharo or SqueakNOS on top of JavaScript anyone ;)

I took a 2-hour stab at trying to make an Interpreter VM with
emscripten. It's more complicated than it might seem. (As in, two
hours later I'd fixed a few issues, but had nothing running.)

frank

> Bye
> T.

Re: [OT] Booting on top of JS in webbrowser

Stéphane Ducasse
Let us know if you retry because I would like to add that to the pharo topics.

Stef

On Nov 6, 2013, at 4:32 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 November 2013 15:25, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> While in the past we had OS-platforms where Smalltalk provided VM solutions.
>> Then there was/is .NET and Java as platform. Nowedays the browser becomes the
>> next platform with bootable stuff directly on top of JavaScript.
>>
>> http://bellard.org/jslinux/
>>
>> http://copy.sh/v24/  (Try to boot visual Colibri OS)
>>
>> http://vps2.etotheipiplusone.com:30176/redmine/projects/emscripten-qt/wiki/Demos
>>
>> CogVM with Pharo or SqueakNOS on top of JavaScript anyone ;)
>
> I took a 2-hour stab at trying to make an Interpreter VM with
> emscripten. It's more complicated than it might seem. (As in, two
> hours later I'd fixed a few issues, but had nothing running.)
>
> frank
>
>> Bye
>> T.

Re: [OT] Booting on top of JS in webbrowser

Frank Shearar-3
Will do!

frank