[OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?

[OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?

Edgar De Cleene

Re: [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?

Andreas.Raab
On 8/3/2010 6:04 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> http://www.bnet.com/blog/technology-business/federal-government-to-apple-jailbreak-this-iphone/4506

Yup, if you have an iPhone/iPad check out http://www.jailbreakme.com/

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.08.2010, at 18:02, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 8/3/2010 6:04 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> http://www.bnet.com/blog/technology-business/federal-government-to-apple-jailbreak-this-iphone/4506
>
> Yup, if you have an iPhone/iPad check out http://www.jailbreakme.com/
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

IMHO nothing much has changed. Jail-breaking will still void your warranty.

Anyhow, people previously reported success installing and running the Etoys ipa on a jail-broken iPad:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/

- Bert -

On 8/3/10 1:44 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IMHO nothing much has changed. Jail-breaking will still void your warranty.
>
> Anyhow, people previously reported success installing and running the Etoys
> ipa on a jail-broken iPad:
>
> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/
>
> - Bert -

As iPad still is "official out of Argentina" and I must deal with smugglers
for have the thing paying twice, do not matter much.
I enough crazy for risk and try.

Very thanks and to Andreas and of course to John

Edgar

Re: [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?

SergeStinckwich
On 03/08/10 23:44, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 03.08.2010, at 18:02, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> On 8/3/2010 6:04 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>> http://www.bnet.com/blog/technology-business/federal-government-to-apple-jailbreak-this-iphone/4506
>>
>> Yup, if you have an iPhone/iPad check out http://www.jailbreakme.com/
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas
>
> IMHO nothing much has changed. Jail-breaking will still void your warranty.
>
> Anyhow, people previously reported success installing and running the Etoys ipa on a jail-broken iPad:
>
> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/

Yes it works for me ;-) Thank you for the great job.

Bert, how could i change the image provided in the ipa file ?

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

On 05.08.2010, at 05:16, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On 03/08/10 23:44, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Yup, if you have an iPhone/iPad check out http://www.jailbreakme.com/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>  - Andreas
>>
>> IMHO nothing much has changed. Jail-breaking will still void your warranty.
>>
>> Anyhow, people previously reported success installing and running the Etoys ipa on a jail-broken iPad:
>>
>> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/
>
> Yes it works for me ;-) Thank you for the great job.

You're welcome!

If someone is interested to help developing/beta-testing Etoys on the iPad, I will sign the app so it runs on their (non-jailbroken) iPad.

Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a touch screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work on all platforms:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip

I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux, too - you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap the About flap to try some preferences).

> Bert, how could i change the image provided in the ipa file ?

If you are just interested in accessing the Smalltalk tools, tap the About flap and disable the "etoys-friendly" preference. Then you get the regular world menu when tapping the background, and you can jump to the top-level project which has some tools open already (this is an Etoys-4.1alpha developer image).

To use a different image, it would be best to compile your own application:

        http://isqueak.org/

And the ipa is just a zip file. Replacing the image in the zip might work.

- Bert -

On 05/08/10 15:03, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 05.08.2010, at 05:16, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

>>> IMHO nothing much has changed. Jail-breaking will still void your warranty.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, people previously reported success installing and running the Etoys ipa on a jail-broken iPad:
>>>
>>> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/
>>
>> Yes it works for me ;-) Thank you for the great job.
>
> You're welcome!
>
> If someone is interested to help developing/beta-testing Etoys on the iPad, I will sign the app so it runs on their (non-jailbroken) iPad.

Hum, i already jailbreak my ipad ... If you sign the app, it will be
much easier to use for people who don't want to jailbreak their machine
i guess.

> Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a touch screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work on all platforms:
>
> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip
>
> I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux, too - you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap the About flap to try some preferences).
>
>> Bert, how could i change the image provided in the ipa file ?
>
> If you are just interested in accessing the Smalltalk tools, tap the About flap and disable the "etoys-friendly" preference. Then you get the regular world menu when tapping the background, and you can jump to the top-level project which has some tools open already (this is an Etoys-4.1alpha developer image).
>
> To use a different image, it would be best to compile your own application:
>
> http://isqueak.org/
>
> And the ipa is just a zip file. Replacing the image in the zip might work.

Yes, i just discover that .ipa are .zip file in fact.
Does the VM provided in your ipa file support block closure ?

Regards,

On 05.08.2010, at 12:48, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On 05/08/10 15:03, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Yes it works for me ;-) Thank you for the great job.
>>
>> You're welcome!
>>
>> If someone is interested to help developing/beta-testing Etoys on the iPad, I will sign the app so it runs on their (non-jailbroken) iPad.
>
> Hum, i already jailbreak my ipad ... If you sign the app, it will be much easier to use for people who don't want to jailbreak their machine i guess.

The app is signed, but only for the UDID of the iPads of my beta testers. It just happens that jailbreaking disables the signature check.

If you want to sign the app yourself you need to buy a developer license, which is $99/year. The signature is valid for one year and you can sign for up to 100 machines. As I wrote previously, this is the very best option for you.

Anyhow, Etoys on the iPad is not ready for users anyway, as you certainly noticed. So I'm not worried about distribution yet.

>> Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a touch screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work on all platforms:
>>
>> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip
>>
>> I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux, too - you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap the About flap to try some preferences).
>>
>>> Bert, how could i change the image provided in the ipa file ?
>>
>> If you are just interested in accessing the Smalltalk tools, tap the About flap and disable the "etoys-friendly" preference. Then you get the regular world menu when tapping the background, and you can jump to the top-level project which has some tools open already (this is an Etoys-4.1alpha developer image).
>>
>> To use a different image, it would be best to compile your own application:
>>
>> http://isqueak.org/
>>
>> And the ipa is just a zip file. Replacing the image in the zip might work.
>
> Yes, i just discover that .ipa are .zip file in fact.
> Does the VM provided in your ipa file support block closure ?

Yes. It's John's 5.x iSqueak VM (svn rev 196 from May 2010), with a few patches.

Are you coming to Camp Smalltalk before ESUG by chance?

- Bert -

Re: [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?

johnmci
The vm comes from the IOS tree from squeakvm.org which replaces the
source at isqueak.org it uses the latest vmmaker and is closure aware

On 8/5/10, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/08/10 15:03, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Yes it works for me ;-) Thank you for the great job.
>>
>> You're welcome!
>>
>> If someone is interested to help developing/beta-testing Etoys on the
>> iPad, I will sign the app so it runs on their (non-jailbroken) iPad.
>
> Hum, i already jailbreak my ipad ... If you sign the app, it will be
> much easier to use for people who don't want to jailbreak their machine
> i guess.
>
>> Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a touch
>> screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work on all
>> platforms:
>>
>> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip
>>
>> I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux, too -
>> you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap the About
>> flap to try some preferences).
>>
>>> Bert, how could i change the image provided in the ipa file ?
>>
>> If you are just interested in accessing the Smalltalk tools, tap the About
>> flap and disable the "etoys-friendly" preference. Then you get the regular
>> world menu when tapping the background, and you can jump to the top-level
>> project which has some tools open already (this is an Etoys-4.1alpha
>> developer image).
>>
>> To use a different image, it would be best to compile your own
>> application:
>>
>> http://isqueak.org/
>>
>> And the ipa is just a zip file. Replacing the image in the zip might work.
>
> Yes, i just discover that .ipa are .zip file in fact.
> Does the VM provided in your ipa file support block closure ?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>

etoys touch on linux (was [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?)

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:03:43 +0200
Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a
> touch screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work on
> all platforms:
>
> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip
>
> I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux, too
> - you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap the
> About flap to try some preferences).

Hi Bert,

On Ubuntu 9.04 I get a normal cursor and an error window.
I'm using Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.
Debug log attached.

Chris

SqueakDebug.log (3K) Download Attachment

Re: etoys touch on linux (was [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?)

Bert Freudenberg

On 05.08.2010, at 23:33, Chris Kassopulo wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:03:43 +0200
> Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a
>> touch screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work on
>> all platforms:
>>
>> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip
>>
>> I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux, too
>> - you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap the
>> About flap to try some preferences).
>>

> Hi Bert,
>
> On Ubuntu 9.04 I get a normal cursor and an error window.
> I'm using Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.
> Debug log attached.

Ah, interesting bug. That zip was missing the Etoys support files, in this case the locale information.

I'll fix the bug, but in the mean time, you could try this instead which has all the necessary files:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/Etoys-Touch-Emu-100620.zip

- Bert -

Re: etoys touch on linux (was [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?)

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 00:40:42 +0200
Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05.08.2010, at 23:33, Chris Kassopulo wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:03:43 +0200
> > Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a
> >> touch screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work
> >> on all platforms:
> >>
> >> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip
> >>
> >> I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux,
> >> too
> >> - you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap
> >> the About flap to try some preferences).
> >>

> > Hi Bert,
> >
> > On Ubuntu 9.04 I get a normal cursor and an error window.
> > I'm using Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.
> > Debug log attached.
>
> Ah, interesting bug. That zip was missing the Etoys support files, in
> this case the locale information.
>
> I'll fix the bug, but in the mean time, you could try this instead
> which has all the necessary files:
>
> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/Etoys-Touch-Emu-100620.zip
>
> - Bert -

normal cursor regardless of emulateTouch selection
indicateTouchPosition works

Chris

On 06.08.2010, at 05:09, Chris Kassopulo wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 00:40:42 +0200
> Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 05.08.2010, at 23:33, Chris Kassopulo wrote:

>>> Hi Bert,
>>>
>>> On Ubuntu 9.04 I get a normal cursor and an error window.
>>> I'm using Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.
>>> Debug log attached.
>>
>> Ah, interesting bug. That zip was missing the Etoys support files, in
>> this case the locale information.
>>
>> I'll fix the bug, but in the mean time, you could try this instead
>> which has all the necessary files:
>>
>> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/Etoys-Touch-Emu-100620.zip
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> normal cursor regardless of emulateTouch selection
> indicateTouchPosition works
>
> Chris

Was that using the VM in the zip (run etoys.sh) or your VM?

This relies on the "big-cursor" support which is only compiled in if the XRender headers were installed when compiling the VM, and the X server supports it.

- Bert -

Re: etoys touch on linux (was [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?)

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:30:52 +0200
Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06.08.2010, at 05:09, Chris Kassopulo wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 00:40:42 +0200
> > Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Ah, interesting bug. That zip was missing the Etoys support files,
> >> in this case the locale information.
> >>
> >> I'll fix the bug, but in the mean time, you could try this instead
> >> which has all the necessary files:
> >>
> >> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/Etoys-Touch-Emu-100620.zip
> >>
> >> - Bert -
> >>

> > normal cursor regardless of emulateTouch selection
> > indicateTouchPosition works
> >
> > Chris
>
> Was that using the VM in the zip (run etoys.sh) or your VM?
>
> This relies on the "big-cursor" support which is only compiled in if
> the XRender headers were installed when compiling the VM, and the X
> server supports it.
>
> - Bert -

Using the local VM through etoys.sh

Chris

On 06.08.2010, at 17:31, Chris Kassopulo wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:30:52 +0200
> Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 06.08.2010, at 05:09, Chris Kassopulo wrote:

>>> normal cursor regardless of emulateTouch selection
>>> indicateTouchPosition works
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> Was that using the VM in the zip (run etoys.sh) or your VM?
>>
>> This relies on the "big-cursor" support which is only compiled in if
>> the XRender headers were installed when compiling the VM, and the X
>> server supports it.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Using the local VM through etoys.sh
>
> Chris
I found the problem. The X11 rendering plugin was compiled without Xrender support. Must have been broken since the switch to CMake, but nobody noticed until now.

I'm going to fix the download. But I'm also attaching a good plugin that I just compiled - just replace the one in the .app with this one.

Thank you for testing!

(I'm assuming it does work on Windows?)

- Bert -

so.vm-display-X11.gz (57K) Download Attachment

Re: etoys touch on linux (was [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?)

John McKeon

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06.08.2010, at 17:31, Chris Kassopulo wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:30:52 +0200
> Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 06.08.2010, at 05:09, Chris Kassopulo wrote:

>>> normal cursor regardless of emulateTouch selection
>>> indicateTouchPosition works
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> Was that using the VM in the zip (run etoys.sh) or your VM?
>>
>> This relies on the "big-cursor" support which is only compiled in if
>> the XRender headers were installed when compiling the VM, and the X
>> server supports it.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Using the local VM through etoys.sh
>
> Chris

I found the problem. The X11 rendering plugin was compiled without Xrender support. Must have been broken since the switch to CMake, but nobody noticed until now.

I'm going to fix the download. But I'm also attaching a good plugin that I just compiled - just replace the one in the .app with this one.

Thank you for testing!

(I'm assuming it does work on Windows?)

- Bert -

Works as advertised on Windows. The Hand gets squirrely on the Gallery project, but other than that it works fine for me (Windows XP Home Edition)

Re: etoys touch on linux (was [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?)

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:27:48 +0200
Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06.08.2010, at 17:31, Chris Kassopulo wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:30:52 +0200
> > Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Was that using the VM in the zip (run etoys.sh) or your VM?
> >>
> >> This relies on the "big-cursor" support which is only compiled in
> >> if the XRender headers were installed when compiling the VM, and
> >> the X server supports it.
> >>
> >> - Bert -
> >
> > Using the local VM through etoys.sh
> >
> > Chris
>
> I found the problem. The X11 rendering plugin was compiled without
> Xrender support. Must have been broken since the switch to CMake, but
> nobody noticed until now.
>
> I'm going to fix the download. But I'm also attaching a good plugin
> that I just compiled - just replace the one in the .app with this one.
>
> Thank you for testing!
>
> (I'm assuming it does work on Windows?)
>
> - Bert -

Yep, that fixed it.
FYI, the plugin you attached has different permissions from everything
else.

Chris

Re: etoys touch on linux (was [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?)

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:31:51 -0400
John McKeon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Works as advertised on Windows. The Hand gets squirrely on the Gallery
> project, but other than that it works fine for me (Windows XP Home
> Edition)

The hand seems to be all thumbs :-J