[OT]: Looking for Bill Schwab

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I sent a message through Nabble to the address at anest.ufl.edu, which was returned "The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk."
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [OT]: Looking for Bill Schwab

Esteban A. Maringolo
2013/12/26 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
> I sent a message through Nabble to the address at anest.ufl.edu, which was
> returned "The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the
> recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem
> continues, please contact your helpdesk."

You're not the first one looking for him. In the Dolphin Smalltalk
newsgroup they were looking for him too a year ago or so. I don't know
if they ever found him.

Good luck. He is a valuable Smalltalker.

Regards,

Esteban.

Re: [OT]: Looking for Bill Schwab

Ben Coman
Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
2013/12/26 Sean P. DeNigris [hidden email]:

I sent a message through Nabble to the address at anest.ufl.edu, which was
returned "The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the
recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem
continues, please contact your helpdesk."

You're not the first one looking for him. In the Dolphin Smalltalk
newsgroup they were looking for him too a year ago or so. I don't know
if they ever found him.

Good luck. He is a valuable Smalltalker.

Regards,

Esteban.

I used to enjoy Bill's perspective on things coming to Pharo from Dolphin. It would seem there is unfortunate news.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/gainesville/obituary.aspx?pid=159883187

Wilhelm "Bill" K. Schwab Ph.D., 48, of Gainesville, Florida, died Friday September 7, 2012 at a friend's home, after a determined battle with cancer.
[...]
His software was far more reliable than the commercial operating systems on which it ran. He even wrote his own "object request broker," a specialized networking software tool, using Smalltalk, an exotic computer language. With his tool, he created, implemented and maintained a fully functional handwriting-capable anesthesia medical record system that was well ahead of its time, and was used for years in actual patient care in multiple operating rooms. His software never required "downtime."

regards -ben

Re: [OT]: Looking for Bill Schwab

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Indeed, I have pleasant memories of the Dolphin Smalltalk days and his comments on the list

He did many cool things

On Dec 26, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ben Coman wrote
Thank you. It's a bit shocking that it happened a year ago. I figured he was off hacking and would come back to show us something cool :) I will miss his valuable contributions and unique perspectives...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [OT]: Looking for Bill Schwab

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
That is indeed really sad to hear and a bit shocking that we only learn about this now.