[OT] Need new email client

Casey Ransberger-2
Gmail has gone off the deep end. All of the commit messages are being automatically hidden behind a "Promotions" tab which I can't fathom wanting in the first place. That's what the Spam folder is for, and commit messages don't go there.

It's also made interacting on the list more work in other ways. I'm ready to fire Gmail. Anything which reduces my productivity while I'm pontificating aimlessly on a mailing list and isn't allowed to tell me how often it's breached my interests except by increments of 0...999 has got to go.

I've looked at maybe using Celeste, but the dependency on the orphaned Scamper kind of has me doubtful that the experience isn't going to be painful. Any recommendations? Like maybe a client that still defaults, or has an option, to bottom-post? IMAP support is a plus.

I'm running OS X 10.7.5, and Raspbian Wheezy.

In the meantime, I will continue to sacrifice my privacy in order to protect yours by using M-x spook in Emacs to generate fun things to paste into emails like Watergate 9705 Samford Road computer terrorism JFK Becker world domination SDI UOP sniper Mantis bemd industrial intelligence Hugo Chavez LABLINK rs9512c.

Thanks in advance folks!

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: [OT] Need new email client

Frank Shearar-3
On 24 July 2013 10:33, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gmail has gone off the deep end. All of the commit messages are being
> automatically hidden behind a "Promotions" tab which I can't fathom wanting
> in the first place. That's what the Spam folder is for, and commit messages
> don't go there.

You can restore your sanity (as I did) by removing all those rubbish tabs.

That doesn't address all the other FNORD problems with Gmail, of course.

frank

Re: [OT] Need new email client

Casey Ransberger-2
Your message evoked something in me, and I can't quite place it. It was like there was a terribly important word missing. At first I thought it was your name, Frank, but then I thought of all kinds of other words that start with F and are comprised of five letters and I don't know why.

Maybe it's just in my head.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24 July 2013 10:33, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gmail has gone off the deep end. All of the commit messages are being
> automatically hidden behind a "Promotions" tab which I can't fathom wanting
> in the first place. That's what the Spam folder is for, and commit messages
> don't go there.

You can restore your sanity (as I did) by removing all those rubbish tabs.

That doesn't address all the other FNORD problems with Gmail, of course.

frank

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: [OT] Need new email client

Jon Hylands
If you set up labels (folders), and create filters to explicitly put specific emails (like commit messages) into specific folders, then everything seems to work much better.

90+ percent of my email doesn't end up in my inbox - it gets shuttled off to specific mailing list folders, or specific "online advertising" folders (for stuff I've actually signed up for, but don't necessarily want to read all the time).

This is assuming you use the web interface for GMail, of course.

- Jon

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Your message evoked something in me, and I can't quite place it. It was like there was a terribly important word missing. At first I thought it was your name, Frank, but then I thought of all kinds of other words that start with F and are comprised of five letters and I don't know why.

Maybe it's just in my head.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24 July 2013 10:33, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gmail has gone off the deep end. All of the commit messages are being
> automatically hidden behind a "Promotions" tab which I can't fathom wanting
> in the first place. That's what the Spam folder is for, and commit messages
> don't go there.

You can restore your sanity (as I did) by removing all those rubbish tabs.

That doesn't address all the other FNORD problems with Gmail, of course.

frank

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: [OT] Need new email client

Tom Rushworth-2
On 13-07-24 05:37 , Jon Hylands wrote:
> If you set up labels (folders), and create filters to explicitly put
[snip]

>>> wanting
>>> messages
[snip]

I use Thunderbird on the Mac, and connect to my gmail address (and
others) through imap.  I didn't even know there _was_ a promotions tab :).

Regards,

Tom Rushworth

Re: [OT] Need new email client

dcorking
I think Tom meant to say that though Thunderbird doesn't default to
bottom posting, it is an easy to set option (as is non-HTML mail)

As he said, it does IMAP quite well, and seems to understand Gmail's
unique interpretation of IMAP well enough.

Shame we don't have maintainers for Squeak email any more - but email
interoperability is a complex and almost thankless task.

I can also recommend mutt as a full screen text console client for
SMTP/POP3 though when I tried it with IMAP it seemed to choke on my
giant Gmail Inbox.

David

Re: [OT] Need new email client

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
David Corking wrote:

> Shame we don't have maintainers for Squeak email any more - but email
> interoperability is a complex and almost thankless task.

Do you mean Celeste? That is what I am typing this in, so naturally I
have to patch it about once a month when a new message arrives that
breaks it. SInce I am always in the middle of something else when this
happens, I don't do it right and don't think the resulting code should
be a part of the resulting distribution.

Yesterday, for example, I had to change RFC2047MimeConverter>>mimeDecode
to:

mimeDecode
        "Do conversion reading from mimeStream writing to dataStream. See
String>>decodeMimeHeader"

        | c d |
        [mimeStream atEnd] whileFalse: [
                c := mimeStream next.
                c = $=
                        ifTrue: [ d _ (mimeStream next ifNil: [$0]) digitValue * 16
                                + (mimeStream next ifNil: [$0]) digitValue.
                                      d > 0 ifTrue: [c _ Character value: d]]
                        ifFalse: [c = $_ ifTrue: [c := $ ]].
                dataStream nextPut: c].
        ^ dataStream

because I was getting emails with subjects which had invalid characters
after a "=". The original code would try to send #digitValue to nil.
This is not the right fix. Practically none of my changes are. But I
think that the right thing would be a complete rewrite and will keep it
limping along until I can find the time to do that.

-- Jecel

Re: [OT] Need new email client

Chris Muller-3
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Casey Ransberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gmail has gone off the deep end. All of the commit messages are being
> automatically hidden behind a "Promotions" tab which I can't fathom wanting
> in the first place. That's what the Spam folder is for, and commit messages
> don't go there.

Simply turn off using the tabs.  Click the "+" button (I think, it's
been a few days since I turned mine off), and then uncheck all the
tabs.  It'll be the same good ol'e GMail you've known for years.