[OT] OLPC in FTD

Alexander Lazarevic'
Hi,

I just wanted to mention that there is an article on the OLPC in the Financial Times Germany today. Mostly describing the hardware and not so much the project. But there is a reference to "Give 1 Get 1".
Summary of the author in the subtitle: "The laptop I always wanted!"

Alex

PS: Unfortunately there seems to be no online version of the article

Re: [OT] OLPC in FTD

Bert Freudenberg

On Oct 12, 2007, at 10:26 , Alexander Lazarevic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to mention that there is an article on the OLPC in
> the Financial Times Germany today. Mostly describing the hardware
> and not so much the project. But there is a reference to "Give 1
> Get 1".
> Summary of the author in the subtitle: "The laptop I always wanted!"

There will also be a take on the laptop (shot in Magdeburg) in German
television this Monday 15th:

        http://www.rbb-online.de/_/was/naechste_jsp.html

I surely hope they will get their facts right when airing, the web
site at least does not.

- Bert -

Re: [OT] OLPC in FTD

Alexander Lazarevic'
Bert Freudenberg schrieb:
> There will also be a take on the laptop (shot in Magdeburg) in German
> television this Monday 15th:
I missed that, but saw you and your kids on prime time news
(tagesthemen) this evening. Very nice! :D

Cheers,
   Alex

PS: There should be an online version tomorrow at

http://www.tagesschau.de/templates/pages/multimedia/more_broadcast.jsp

Re: [OT] OLPC in FTD

Alexander Lazarevic'
Alexander Lazarević schrieb:
> PS: There should be an online version tomorrow at
>
> http://www.tagesschau.de/templates/pages/multimedia/more_broadcast.jsp

The direct link to the video is here:
http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video221108.htm

Alex

Re: [OT] OLPC in FTD

Andreas.Raab
Alexander Lazarević wrote:
> PS: There should be an online version tomorrow at
>
> http://www.tagesschau.de/templates/pages/multimedia/more_broadcast.jsp

Nice segment. The only thing that left me wondering is who Ananda
Prakash (which is probably spelled wrongly but it's the name they
displayed during the segment) is and what qualifies him to play a
"computer expert criticizing the OLPC project" on German TV.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [OT] OLPC in FTD

Alexander Lazarevic'
Andreas Raab schrieb:
> Nice segment. The only thing that left me wondering is who Ananda
> Prakash (which is probably spelled wrongly but it's the name they
> displayed during the segment) is and what qualifies him to play a
> "computer expert criticizing the OLPC project" on German TV.
Yes, that felt strange. I guess in their aim to have a balanced coverage
they needed anybody with an opposing opinion about the OLPC.

Alex

Re: [OT] OLPC in FTD

Blake-5
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:45:36 -0700, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Alexander Lazarević wrote:
>> PS: There should be an online version tomorrow at
>>
>> http://www.tagesschau.de/templates/pages/multimedia/more_broadcast.jsp
>
> Nice segment. The only thing that left me wondering is who Ananda
> Prakash (which is probably spelled wrongly but it's the name they
> displayed during the segment) is and what qualifies him to play a
> "computer expert criticizing the OLPC project" on German TV.

Well, if it's anything like here (in the USA), he's some guy that the
producers know who was willing to say something negative to give the
appearance of balance. That's really all the qualifications you need.

Re: [OT] OLPC in FTD

Bert Freudenberg

On Oct 17, 2007, at 7:10 , Blake wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:45:36 -0700, Andreas Raab
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Alexander Lazarević wrote:
>>> http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video221108.html
>>
>> Nice segment. The only thing that left me wondering is who Ananda
>> Prakash (which is probably spelled wrongly but it's the name they
>> displayed during the segment) is and what qualifies him to play a
>> "computer expert criticizing the OLPC project" on German TV.
>
> Well, if it's anything like here (in the USA), he's some guy that
> the producers know who was willing to say something negative to
> give the appearance of balance. That's really all the
> qualifications you need.

Well it looks like he is in the laptop selling business so he
obviously qualifies as "computer expert".

For those who don't understand German: his critique is that the
laptops will be taken from the kids and sold, which he knows because
he is from Venezuela.

Other than that it was indeed a nice presentation (even though they
mentioned "drawing program" while showing an Etoys car following a
road). That footage was about a German pilot project in an Ethiopian
school.

- Bert -