[OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

Sorry for the OT post, but some of you have BibTeX interests and even code(!!!), so I thought it would smart to ask whether any of you have Pharo code to read the RIS format?

I am getting sufficient pressure away from LaTeX, that I am looking at Bibus and OpenOffice.  I have a lot of data in .bib to try to import into Bibus, which appears to be buggy with respect to to, but there is evidence it correctly understand RIS.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Bil

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Stéphane Ducasse
did you check citezen?

On May 16, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Sorry for the OT post, but some of you have BibTeX interests and
> even code(!!!), so I thought it would smart to ask whether any of
> you have Pharo code to read the RIS format?
>
> I am getting sufficient pressure away from LaTeX, that I am looking
> at Bibus and OpenOffice.  I have a lot of data in .bib to try to
> import into Bibus, which appears to be buggy with respect to to, but
> there is evidence it correctly understand RIS.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bil

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I knew somebody here had something but forgot the name.  Thanks for the reminder; I'll give it a look.

I found a pdf on it which looks helpful.  Are you going to tell me that this would allow Pharo to generate a complete bibliography suitable for pasting into a document?  What about the citations along the way?  That's proably where LaTeX comes in, but I am getting pressured away from it for various documents.

LaTeX is a mixed bag.  It's great for mathematics, the output is BEAUTIFUL, and I find the flat text view of prose helpful.  Spell checking is a plus for the competition.   However, I find myself getting pushback from peers who want to use document revisions, making the (gulp) word the center of attention.

Bill

On May 16, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Sorry for the OT post, but some of you have BibTeX interests and even
> code(!!!), so I thought it would smart to ask whether any of you have
> Pharo code to read the RIS format?
>
> I am getting sufficient pressure away from LaTeX, that I am looking at
> Bibus and OpenOffice.  I have a lot of data in .bib to try to import
> into Bibus, which appears to be buggy with respect to to, but there is
> evidence it correctly understand RIS.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bil

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

**DUMB** question.  I found citezen on SqueakSource, opened monitcello, created a respository and have access to the code.  That much makes sense tome.  But it is at this point that I fall apart in understanding MC.  What is the correct way to load the code?

Pathetically yours<g>,

Bill

On May 16, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Sorry for the OT post, but some of you have BibTeX interests and even
> code(!!!), so I thought it would smart to ask whether any of you have
> Pharo code to read the RIS format?
>
> I am getting sufficient pressure away from LaTeX, that I am looking at
> Bibus and OpenOffice.  I have a lot of data in .bib to try to import
> into Bibus, which appears to be buggy with respect to to, but there is
> evidence it correctly understand RIS.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bil

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

On May 16, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I knew somebody here had something but forgot the name.  Thanks for
> the reminder; I'll give it a look.
>
> I found a pdf on it which looks helpful.  Are you going to tell me
> that this would allow Pharo to generate a complete bibliography
> suitable for pasting into a document?  What about the citations
> along the way?  That's proably where LaTeX comes in, but I am
> getting pressured away from it for various documents.

Citezen parses bib files and after you have a visitor to produce what
you want.

> LaTeX is a mixed bag.  It's great for mathematics, the output is
> BEAUTIFUL, and I find the flat text view of prose helpful.  Spell
> checking is a plus for the competition.   However, I find myself
> getting pushback from peers who want to use document revisions,
> making the (gulp) word the center of attention.

their problems....

> Bill

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Damien will reply.
I think that since he uses seaside canvas. You should use a pier image
for now.
After with enough pressure I'm sure that he can do a CitezenLoader
class :)

On May 16, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> **DUMB** question.  I found citezen on SqueakSource, opened
> monitcello, created a respository and have access to the code.  That
> much makes sense tome.  But it is at this point that I fall apart in
> understanding MC.  What is the correct way to load the code?
>
> Pathetically yours<g>,
>
> Bill

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

Yes and no.  There are times when I would want to use nothing other than LaTeX, and times when I need to get along with non-technical types (who will help build my career as long as I do not make it hard for them to do so) - sonds more like my problem =:0

Maybe citezen will help bridge the gap.  I see how it would make the bibliography; the citations along the way leave me with doubts.

I really like LaTeX's abilty to create new environments, markup, etc.  What do you do for spell checking?

FWIW, I have a Dolphin based "shell" (actually the shell features are prett lame at present) for editing LaTeX files. It is one of those things that I would hope to bring with me and make available.  Perhaps we can get it parsing TeX error messages, etc. via OSProcess and make something really nice.

One feature I really like is that I use a trick I stole from, of all sources, Microsoft in their class wizard from Visual C++.  The idea is to "unique" markers for start/stop, and have Smalltalk code that can be evaluated and turned into LaTeX.  It can generate images, tables, anything you want, doing any amount of computation along the way.  All it asks (at present) is that code be of the form aClass aMessage for ease of parsing, but that of course and wrap anything one wants.  There is then an editor command to regenerate all such items in the project.

Bill

On May 16, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I knew somebody here had something but forgot the name.  Thanks for
> the reminder; I'll give it a look.
>
> I found a pdf on it which looks helpful.  Are you going to tell me
> that this would allow Pharo to generate a complete bibliography
> suitable for pasting into a document?  What about the citations along
> the way?  That's proably where LaTeX comes in, but I am getting
> pressured away from it for various documents.

Citezen parses bib files and after you have a visitor to produce what you want.

> LaTeX is a mixed bag.  It's great for mathematics, the output is
> BEAUTIFUL, and I find the flat text view of prose helpful.  Spell
> checking is a plus for the competition.   However, I find myself
> getting pushback from peers who want to use document revisions, making
> the (gulp) word the center of attention.

their problems....

> Bill

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

Ok, so it sounds like it's not dirt-simple.  That actually makes me feel a little better.  I will egerly await his reply to help me get started.

Thanks!

Bill

I think that since he uses seaside canvas. You should use a pier image for now.
After with enough pressure I'm sure that he can do a CitezenLoader class :)

On May 16, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> **DUMB** question.  I found citezen on SqueakSource, opened
> monitcello, created a respository and have access to the code.  That
> much makes sense tome.  But it is at this point that I fall apart in
> understanding MC.  What is the correct way to load the code?
>
> Pathetically yours<g>,
>
> Bill

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Damien Pollet
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:26, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Damien will reply.
> I think that since he uses seaside canvas. You should use a pier image
> for now.
> After with enough pressure I'm sure that he can do a CitezenLoader
> class :)

That could indeed be helpful :)

About RIS input, I suppose it's possible but at the moment there is no
such parser. Also I suspect that RIS and BibTeX define different data
models, so we'd need a common metamodel to parse to. IMHO the easiest
for now is to translate RIS to .bib using one of the existing
non-smalltalk tools (I can't give names from the top of my head, but
google should).

As for working with word, I think it's possible to import or
copy-paste html, so you'd just need a trivial wrapper around citezen
to ensure that it outputs a complete html page.

> On May 16, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Stef,
>>
>> **DUMB** question.  I found citezen on SqueakSource, opened
>> monitcello, created a respository and have access to the code.  That
>> much makes sense tome.  But it is at this point that I fall apart in
>> understanding MC.  What is the correct way to load the code?
>>
>> Pathetically yours<g>,
>>
>> Bill

Damien Pollet

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Damien,

Queue head-slap.wav :)  I'll dig around.  However, I have the other problem, specifically I have a .bib that I want to convert to RIS for benefit of Bibus.  On first glance, I don't see that one but will try again.

Thanks!

Bill

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:26, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Damien will reply.
> I think that since he uses seaside canvas. You should use a pier image
> for now.
> After with enough pressure I'm sure that he can do a CitezenLoader
> class :)

That could indeed be helpful :)

About RIS input, I suppose it's possible but at the moment there is no such parser. Also I suspect that RIS and BibTeX define different data models, so we'd need a common metamodel to parse to. IMHO the easiest for now is to translate RIS to .bib using one of the existing non-smalltalk tools (I can't give names from the top of my head, but google should).

As for working with word, I think it's possible to import or copy-paste html, so you'd just need a trivial wrapper around citezen to ensure that it outputs a complete html page.

> On May 16, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Stef,
>>
>> **DUMB** question.  I found citezen on SqueakSource, opened
>> monitcello, created a respository and have access to the code.  That
>> much makes sense tome.  But it is at this point that I fall apart in
>> understanding MC.  What is the correct way to load the code?
>>
>> Pathetically yours<g>,
>>
>> Bill

Damien Pollet

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

David T. Lewis
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 05:10:40AM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I really like LaTeX's abilty to create new environments, markup, etc.  What do you do for spell checking?

/usr/bin/ps2text may be of some help. Run your pdf (or ps) output through
ps2text, then spell check the flat text file. It's not as nice as a built
in spell checker, but maybe better than none at all.

Dave

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Damien Pollet
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:12, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After with enough pressure I'm sure that he can do a CitezenLoader
>> class :)
>
> That could indeed be helpful :)

Actually there is one already, and it seems to work. See the wiki tab
of http://www.squeaksource.com/Citezen.html

--
Damien Pollet

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dave,

ps2text takes pdfs????!!!!!!

Thanks,

Bill

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 05:10:40AM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I really like LaTeX's abilty to create new environments, markup, etc.  What do you do for spell checking?

/usr/bin/ps2text may be of some help. Run your pdf (or ps) output through ps2text, then spell check the flat text file. It's not as nice as a built in spell checker, but maybe better than none at all.

Dave

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Damien,

Nice!  I can't yet claim that it works, but it sure looks like it's up to good things.  Should I have known to look for this?  That's not asking you to beat me up; I'm trying to grok the (evolving?) Pharo culture.

Bill

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:12, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After with enough pressure I'm sure that he can do a CitezenLoader
>> class :)
>
> That could indeed be helpful :)

Actually there is one already, and it seems to work. See the wiki tab of http://www.squeaksource.com/Citezen.html

--
Damien Pollet

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Damien,

It was running along fine and then hit a walkback in

RioLocalExecutive class>>initialize.

Does not like Current initializeDefault (DNU).

Any ideas?  That looks like missing steps to me, so it might not be something I can "just fix".

Bill

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:12, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After with enough pressure I'm sure that he can do a CitezenLoader
>> class :)
>
> That could indeed be helpful :)

Actually there is one already, and it seems to work. See the wiki tab of http://www.squeaksource.com/Citezen.html

--
Damien Pollet

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dave,

That's great to know.

Bill

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Damien Pollet
I think aspell knows about TeX, so with the right invocation, you can
spell-check your .tex files directly.

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 13:37, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 05:10:40AM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>> I really like LaTeX's abilty to create new environments, markup, etc.  What do you do for spell checking?
>>

> /usr/bin/ps2text may be of some help. Run your pdf (or ps) output through
> ps2text, then spell check the flat text file. It's not as nice as a built
> in spell checker, but maybe better than none at all.
>
> Dave

Damien Pollet

Re: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dave,

It sure looks like it it's worth a try!  They say the windows port is out of date, but at this rate of finding long-standing disasters fixed, I might not care about that much longer.

Thanks!!!

Bill

I think aspell knows about TeX, so with the right invocation, you can spell-check your .tex files directly.

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 13:37, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 05:10:40AM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>> I really like LaTeX's abilty to create new environments, markup, etc.  What do you do for spell checking?
>>

> /usr/bin/ps2text may be of some help. Run your pdf (or ps) output
> through ps2text, then spell check the flat text file. It's not as nice
> as a built in spell checker, but maybe better than none at all.
>
> Dave

Damien Pollet

FW: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Damien,

Any thoughts on this?  Bibus is looking less and less like a short-term solution to my needs, so I'd like to get Citezen loaded and see what it can do.

Thanks,

Bill

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:12, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After with enough pressure I'm sure that he can do a CitezenLoader
>> class :)
>
> That could indeed be helpful :)

Actually there is one already, and it seems to work. See the wiki tab of http://www.squeaksource.com/Citezen.html

--
Damien Pollet

Re: FW: [OT] RIS vs. BibTeX

Damien Pollet
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 06:07, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any thoughts on this?  Bibus is looking less and less like a short-term solution to my needs, so I'd like to get Citezen loaded and see what it can do.

[...]
> It was running along fine and then hit a walkback in
>
> RioLocalExecutive class>>initialize.
>
> Does not like Current initializeDefault (DNU).

That's Rio code. You should look at what's in Current (it's a class
variable, so select it in the the class declaration for
RioLocalExecutive). It should contain an instance of RioLocalExecutive
or one of its subclasses, depending on your OS. If it's nil, then
either it was reset somehow, or your platform was incorrectly detected
?
To put a correct value back in, I guess you could just doit the two
lines that initialize it in RioLocalExecutive class >>
performStartupMigration.

--
Damien Pollet