[OT] Scratch in Debian

Torsten Bergmann

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:02:45AM +0200, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> good news:
>
> http://www.miriamruiz.es/weblog/?p=678

Yay!

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> good news:
>
> http://www.miriamruiz.es/weblog/?p=678

Is there a new version of Scratch which is compatible with the Squeak
VM, or was there a VM for Scratch added to Debian?

Levente

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-07-05, at 14:15, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>> good news:
>>
>> http://www.miriamruiz.es/weblog/?p=678
>>

> Is there a new version of Scratch which is compatible with the Squeak VM, or was there a VM for Scratch added to Debian?
>
> Levente

I fixed Scratch to use named primitives instead of the obsolete indexed ones. It now works fine with the standard Debian 4.4.7 VM. See http://bugs.debian.org/471927

- Bert -

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2012-07-05, at 14:15, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>>
>>> good news:
>>>
>>> http://www.miriamruiz.es/weblog/?p=678
>>>

>> Is there a new version of Scratch which is compatible with the Squeak VM, or was there a VM for Scratch added to Debian?
>>
>> Levente
>

> I fixed Scratch to use named primitives instead of the obsolete indexed ones. It now works fine with the standard Debian 4.4.7 VM. See http://bugs.debian.org/471927

Great, well done.

Levente

> - Bert -

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Chris Muller-3
Whatever happened to the "tiles" view of the source in Squeak?  I
thought it was under...  "what to show..." maybe?

Does anyone know whether Scratch would be feasible and suitable for
visual-programming of regular applications Squeak?

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-07-05, at 14:15, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>>
>>> good news:
>>>
>>> http://www.miriamruiz.es/weblog/?p=678
>>>

>> Is there a new version of Scratch which is compatible with the Squeak VM, or was there a VM for Scratch added to Debian?
>>
>> Levente
>

> I fixed Scratch to use named primitives instead of the obsolete indexed ones. It now works fine with the standard Debian 4.4.7 VM. See http://bugs.debian.org/471927
>
> - Bert -

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Bert Freudenberg
On 2012-07-05, at 20:57, Chris Muller wrote:

> Whatever happened to the "tiles" view of the source in Squeak?  I
> thought it was under...  "what to show..." maybe?

It was called "universal tiles", and apparently got removed.

> Does anyone know whether Scratch would be feasible and suitable for
> visual-programming of regular applications Squeak?

Not Scratch as such, but one of Jens Moenig's experiments did that (was called Elements IIRC - it might still be in his latest BYOB image).

- Bert -

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Chris Muller-3
Sorry, what is the BYOB image?

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-07-05, at 20:57, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Whatever happened to the "tiles" view of the source in Squeak?  I
>> thought it was under...  "what to show..." maybe?
>
> It was called "universal tiles", and apparently got removed.
>
>> Does anyone know whether Scratch would be feasible and suitable for
>> visual-programming of regular applications Squeak?
>

> Not Scratch as such, but one of Jens Moenig's experiments did that (was called Elements IIRC - it might still be in his latest BYOB image).
>
> - Bert -

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-07-05, at 21:44, Chris Muller wrote:

> Sorry, what is the BYOB image?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=BYOB

SCNR

- Bert -

> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2012-07-05, at 20:57, Chris Muller wrote:
>>
>>> Whatever happened to the "tiles" view of the source in Squeak?  I
>>> thought it was under...  "what to show..." maybe?
>>
>> It was called "universal tiles", and apparently got removed.
>>
>>> Does anyone know whether Scratch would be feasible and suitable for
>>> visual-programming of regular applications Squeak?
>>

>> Not Scratch as such, but one of Jens Moenig's experiments did that (was called Elements IIRC - it might still be in his latest BYOB image).
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Chris Muller-3
LOL!!!  I had never seen lmgtfy before, I'm bustin'!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-07-05, at 21:44, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Sorry, what is the BYOB image?
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=BYOB
>
> SCNR
>
> - Bert -

>>> It was called "universal tiles", and apparently got removed.

>>> Not Scratch as such, but one of Jens Moenig's experiments did that (was called Elements IIRC - it might still be in his latest BYOB image).
>>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: [OT] Scratch in Debian

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Bert Freudenberg wrote
Ha ha ha - that's great!!! b.t.w., what is SCNR ;-)
Cheers,
Sean