[OT] Vi Hart, doing a fun talk.

Casey Ransberger-2
Does anyone recognize the redhead in the front row who seems to be wearing a valid Smalltalk expression on his chest? Or maybe it's Obj-C. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into his shirt.

Anyway, if you've never seen any of Vi's videos, she's just absolutely brilliant, and worth paying attention to. She's making math popular. A brick at a time, but isn't that amazing?

Thought some of the people here might really dig her. Sorry about being a little off-topic.

Also, Bert actually has to watch this if he hasn't seen her videos. I'm requiring that. I won't ever tell you what to do again but this time is for real, man. Required:)

Cheers and such,

--C

re: [OT] Vi Hart, doing a fun talk.

ccrraaiigg

> Does anyone recognize the redhead in the front row who seems to be
> wearing a valid Smalltalk expression on his chest? Or maybe it's
> Obj-C. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into his shirt.

     You're reading too much into his shirt. It's a gratuitous
catch-phrase from the moribund filepile.org community, circa 2001, and
propagated ironically as secretive "in the know" knowledge since then.

     Fun talk.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: [OT] Vi Hart, doing a fun talk.

Bert Freudenberg
On 24.06.2015, at 07:22, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone recognize the redhead in the front row who seems to be wearing a valid Smalltalk expression on his chest? Or maybe it's Obj-C. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into his shirt.
>
> Anyway, if you've never seen any of Vi's videos, she's just absolutely brilliant, and worth paying attention to. She's making math popular. A brick at a time, but isn't that amazing?
>
> Thought some of the people here might really dig her. Sorry about being a little off-topic.
>
> Also, Bert actually has to watch this if he hasn't seen her videos. I'm requiring that. I won't ever tell you what to do again but this time is for real, man. Required:)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9NhhnnWoTQ
Guess you won’t be surprised to learn that I’m actually working with Vi at CDG Labs (Alan Kay’s latest research group). And yes, she’s great. As are the other researchers Alan has gathered:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3046437/5-steps-to-recreate-xerox-parcs-design-magic-from-the-guy-who-helped-make-it

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [OT] Vi Hart, doing a fun talk.

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Casey Ransberger's message of 2015-06-24 07:22:54 +0200:
> Anyway, if you've never seen any of Vi's videos, she's just absolutely
> brilliant, and worth paying attention to. She's making math popular. A
> brick at a time, but isn't that amazing?

if you have never seen any of her videos, you should check the ones where she
actually talks about math. (like the ones she mentions in that talk)

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: [OT] Vi Hart, doing a fun talk.

Bert Freudenberg

E.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXIMUkSXX0