[OT] Vista must-see items??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I finally bought a new machine.  It arrived with a severe malware infection (Vista), and while I was tempted to blow it away w/o even so much as letting it boot, I decided to have a look.  Is there anything I should try before the stampede of Penguins begins?

In particular, is there any way to gag the animation/visual effects/whatever they call them?

Bill

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Install Windows 7 RC and revert to Classic look.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 28-07-2009 a las 18:19 -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K escribió:
> Hello all,
>
> I finally bought a new machine.  It arrived with a severe malware infection (Vista), and while I was tempted to blow it away w/o even so much as letting it boot, I decided to have a look.  Is there anything I should try before the stampede of Penguins begins?
>
> In particular, is there any way to gag the animation/visual effects/whatever they call them?
>
> Bill

Not much to see, the solitaire I heard remains good and the notepad
remains crap. You'll have a big clock and wheather and several gadgets
more but, as any new windows install, you won't be able to do anything
useful without installing several other apps before. I recommend to nuke
it and install your penguin OS and try compiz for a similar experience.

After a week or two you'll have enough of effects and you'll disable
them (I promise) and you'll end with a normal machine, but without
virus/malware. :)

Miguel Cobá

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
What a tough crowd :)

/me goes back to tuning his SQL Server

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

El mar, 28-07-2009 a las 18:19 -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K escribió:
> Hello all,
>
> I finally bought a new machine.  It arrived with a severe malware infection (Vista), and while I was tempted to blow it away w/o even so much as letting it boot, I decided to have a look.  Is there anything I should try before the stampede of Penguins begins?
>
> In particular, is there any way to gag the animation/visual effects/whatever they call them?
>
> Bill

Not much to see, the solitaire I heard remains good and the notepad
remains crap. You'll have a big clock and wheather and several gadgets
more but, as any new windows install, you won't be able to do anything
useful without installing several other apps before. I recommend to nuke
it and install your penguin OS and try compiz for a similar experience.

After a week or two you'll have enough of effects and you'll disable
them (I promise) and you'll end with a normal machine, but without
virus/malware. :)

Miguel Cobá

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Tough, but honest :)  Compiz is an interesting idea, and this machine should have the horses to do a good job of it.  FWIW, it probably would last only about a week, so I might not even bother.

Just to be fair (well a little more complete) in my exposure to Vista, I might put QCad on it for some drafting that needs to get done today and tomorrow.  After that, Tux arrives.

Bill

El mar, 28-07-2009 a las 18:19 -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K escribió:
> Hello all,
>
> I finally bought a new machine.  It arrived with a severe malware infection (Vista), and while I was tempted to blow it away w/o even so much as letting it boot, I decided to have a look.  Is there anything I should try before the stampede of Penguins begins?
>
> In particular, is there any way to gag the animation/visual effects/whatever they call them?
>
> Bill

Not much to see, the solitaire I heard remains good and the notepad remains crap. You'll have a big clock and wheather and several gadgets more but, as any new windows install, you won't be able to do anything useful without installing several other apps before. I recommend to nuke it and install your penguin OS and try compiz for a similar experience.

After a week or two you'll have enough of effects and you'll disable them (I promise) and you'll end with a normal machine, but without virus/malware. :)

Miguel Cobá

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/29 Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:
> Install Windows 7 RC and revert to Classic look.

which will refuse to boot after 1 Jan 2010.
Thanks, but No :)

> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 28-07-2009 a las 17:25 -0500, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez
escribió:

> El mar, 28-07-2009 a las 18:19 -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K escribió:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I finally bought a new machine.  It arrived with a severe malware infection (Vista), and while I was tempted to blow it away w/o even so much as letting it boot, I decided to have a look.  Is there anything I should try before the stampede of Penguins begins?
> >
> > In particular, is there any way to gag the animation/visual effects/whatever they call them?
> >
> > Bill
>
> Not much to see, the solitaire I heard remains good and the notepad
> remains crap. You'll have a big clock and wheather and several gadgets
> more but, as any new windows install, you won't be able to do anything
> useful without installing several other apps before. I recommend to nuke
> it and install your penguin OS and try compiz for a similar experience.
>
> After a week or two you'll have enough of effects and you'll disable
> them (I promise) and you'll end with a normal machine, but without
> virus/malware. :)
>
> Miguel Cobá

Or, before the penguin attack, you can try SqueakNOS and reports
success. Maybe, also Plan9 to tweak your mind a little

Miguel Cobá

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
By that time free upgrade coupon would have arrived for the retail version, and new machines are entitled to it after June 26th, but I rest my case :)

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

> Install Windows 7 RC and revert to Classic look.

which will refuse to boot after 1 Jan 2010.
Thanks, but No :)

> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/29 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:
> Tough, but honest :)  Compiz is an interesting idea, and this machine should have the horses to do a good job of it.  FWIW, it probably would last only about a week, so I might not even bother.
>
> Just to be fair (well a little more complete) in my exposure to Vista, I might put QCad on it for some drafting that needs to get done today and tomorrow.  After that, Tux arrives.

btw, to get vista work fast as close as to XP, disabling the UI quirks
is not enough.
Go to sevices and start disabling them one by one.. THere is a lot of
crap which is enabled by default, but useless. Its only purpose to eat
memory & CPU in order to keep oil prices high and continue global
warming progress :)

> Bill

Your statement having a severe semantic error: the words 'free' and
'Microsoft' can't be used together in same context :)

Like I said, tough crowd :)

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

> By that time free upgrade coupon would have arrived for the retail version, and new machines are entitled to it after June 26th, but I rest my case :)

Your statement having a severe semantic error: the words 'free' and
'Microsoft' can't be used together in same context :)

> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
You want tough? :)  I have now poked around enough to see that they have worked _really_ hard to completely screw up the explorer.  They've flipped the meaning of the open and explore commands; it's no big deal, but it's pointless.  Where there were once scroll bars, one now has to hover with the mouse and somehow will the hidden pixels into view: maybe they were thinking of charging extra for that feature as a Ouija board simulator.  I realize that I am expecting too much from a first service pack, but it seems sad to watch the system go into (minor) hysterics when faced with a flash drive in a USB port.  The mouse cursor went nuts, and it seems to think it has several such drives connected (it does not) making it a fun exercise to figure out which of the devices to stop.

Overall, it's worse than I expected, and THAT'S saying something.  I might play around more tomorrow, but that noise you hear is a drive getting ready to be reformatted.

Bill

> By that time free upgrade coupon would have arrived for the retail
> version, and new machines are entitled to it after June 26th, but I
> rest my case :)

Your statement having a severe semantic error: the words 'free' and 'Microsoft' can't be used together in same context :)

> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Mariano Martinez Peck
Bill: be happy, install Linux and Wine + VirtualBox for the windows stuff you don't have anoother option.

best,

Mariano

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
You want tough? :)  I have now poked around enough to see that they have worked _really_ hard to completely screw up the explorer.  They've flipped the meaning of the open and explore commands; it's no big deal, but it's pointless.  Where there were once scroll bars, one now has to hover with the mouse and somehow will the hidden pixels into view: maybe they were thinking of charging extra for that feature as a Ouija board simulator.  I realize that I am expecting too much from a first service pack, but it seems sad to watch the system go into (minor) hysterics when faced with a flash drive in a USB port.  The mouse cursor went nuts, and it seems to think it has several such drives connected (it does not) making it a fun exercise to figure out which of the devices to stop.

Overall, it's worse than I expected, and THAT'S saying something.  I might play around more tomorrow, but that noise you hear is a drive getting ready to be reformatted.

Bill

> By that time free upgrade coupon would have arrived for the retail
> version, and new machines are entitled to it after June 26th, but I
> rest my case :)

Your statement having a severe semantic error: the words 'free' and 'Microsoft' can't be used together in same context :)

> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Mariano,

Actually, I can do a little better than that - I can use a remote desktop connection to a Windows box for any stuff that needs to run on it.  The new machine is absolutely going to run Linux; I bought it with that in mind.  However, since it was pre-infected, it seemed wise to smell the roses - though the fertilizer appears to be the overpowering sensory stimulus.

Bill

> By that time free upgrade coupon would have arrived for the retail
> version, and new machines are entitled to it after June 26th, but I
> rest my case :)

Your statement having a severe semantic error: the words 'free' and 'Microsoft' can't be used together in same context :)

> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Travis Kay
Bill,

Just wait until you are familiar with the nuances of penguin power too ;)

Travis

> By that time free upgrade coupon would have arrived for the retail
> version, and new machines are entitled to it after June 26th, but I
> rest my case :)

Your statement having a severe semantic error: the words 'free' and
'Microsoft' can't be used together in same context :)

> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/7/29 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
Mariano,

Actually, I can do a little better than that - I can use a remote desktop connection to a Windows box for any stuff that needs to run on it.

That's a good solution if you can do that.

  The new machine is absolutely going to run Linux; I bought it with that in mind.  However, since it was pre-infected, it seemed wise to smell the roses - though the fertilizer appears to be the overpowering sensory stimulus.

I have the same problem as you. When I bought my laptop, it came with Vista (later I noticed in Dell you can ask for Ubuntu directly instead of Vista). I didn't remove it because I play Pro Evolution Soccer with it ahahahaha but I installed Ubuntu and inside it a VirtualBox with a clean tunned XP.

Bill

> By that time free upgrade coupon would have arrived for the retail
> version, and new machines are entitled to it after June 26th, but I
> rest my case :)

Your statement having a severe semantic error: the words 'free' and 'Microsoft' can't be used together in same context :)

> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [OT] Vista must-see items??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Travis,

I have a long way to go, but I have generally been able to work through problems with varying amounts of effort and help from search engines.  Things have pretty much flipped 180 from the days when Windows just worked and Linux was a nightmare to install.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.