[OT] Will there be a book for Seaside on best practice/design? (WAS: Re: Re: Re: How to do a "login required" type of filter)

[OT] Will there be a book for Seaside on best practice/design? (WAS: Re: Re: Re: How to do a "login required" type of filter)

Chun, Sungjin
Hi,

Now seaside reaches its 2.9 soon, will there be a book on best practice or design
of seaside application? I hope there should be at least one; this book can show
what would be the best design of common web application... :)

Just curious.

Re: [OT] Will there be a book for Seaside on best practice/design? (WAS: Re: Re: Re: How to do a "login required" type of filter)

Julian Fitzell-2
Maybe. There are a couple of book projects on the way, which touch on
2.9 to varying degrees. I've also been working off and on on a set of
documentation which will hopefully document the design principles of
the framework. Whether it will extend to the level of best practices
for applications written in Seaside, though, I'm not sure. I hope it
will at least be useful in that context. It's hard to find the time
and motivation to keep slogging away at it but I guess the more people
ask the more I (at least) will be motivated. :)

Julian

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM, "S.J.Chun" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now seaside reaches its 2.9 soon, will there be a book on best practice or design
> of seaside application? I hope there should be at least one; this book can show
> what would be the best design of common web application... :)
>
> Just curious.

David Farber
On May 28, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> I've also been working off and on on a set of
> documentation which will hopefully document the design principles of
> the framework. Whether it will extend to the level of best practices
> for applications written in Seaside, though, I'm not sure. I hope it
> will at least be useful in that context. It's hard to find the time
> and motivation to keep slogging away at it but I guess the more people
> ask the more I (at least) will be motivated. :)

Julian - I, for one, would find that very helpful!  I've got one
Seaside (Pier) site deployed and I'm working on another two (straight
Seaside) sites right now.  But I must confess that I am struggling to
"get" Seaside.  I'm sure anything you might write would be helpful.

David

Re: [OT] Will there be a book for Seaside on best practice/design?

Randal L. Schwartz

David> Julian - I, for one, would find that very helpful!  I've got one
David> Seaside (Pier) site deployed and I'm working on another two (straight
David> Seaside) sites right now.  But I must confess that I am struggling to
David> "get" Seaside.  I'm sure anything you might write would be helpful.

It's my intention to work with James Foster to get his already-created
Seaside class into a bit more formal shape, and turn that into a
training book, ala "Learning Perl".

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [OT] Will there be a book for Seaside on best practice/design?(WAS: Re: Re: Re: How to do a "login required" type of filter)

Victor-67
Hi Julian,

You can count me in.

Victor

practice/design?(WAS: Re: Re: [Seaside] Re: How to do a "login required"
type of filter)

> On May 28, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
>> I've also been working off and on on a set of
>> documentation which will hopefully document the design principles of
>> the framework. Whether it will extend to the level of best practices
>> for applications written in Seaside, though, I'm not sure. I hope it
>> will at least be useful in that context. It's hard to find the time
>> and motivation to keep slogging away at it but I guess the more people
>> ask the more I (at least) will be motivated. :)
>
> Julian - I, for one, would find that very helpful!  I've got one  Seaside
> (Pier) site deployed and I'm working on another two (straight  Seaside)
> sites right now.  But I must confess that I am struggling to  "get"
> Seaside.  I'm sure anything you might write would be helpful.
>
> David

practice/design?(WAS: Re: Re: [Seaside] Re: How to do a "login required"
type of filter)

> On May 28, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
>> I've also been working off and on on a set of
>> documentation which will hopefully document the design principles of
>> the framework. Whether it will extend to the level of best practices
>> for applications written in Seaside, though, I'm not sure. I hope it
>> will at least be useful in that context. It's hard to find the time
>> and motivation to keep slogging away at it but I guess the more people
>> ask the more I (at least) will be motivated. :)
>
> Julian - I, for one, would find that very helpful!  I've got one  Seaside
> (Pier) site deployed and I'm working on another two (straight  Seaside)
> sites right now.  But I must confess that I am struggling to  "get"
> Seaside.  I'm sure anything you might write would be helpful.
>
> David

RE: Re: [OT] Will there be a book for Seaside on bestpractice/design?

Sebastian Sastre-2
> It's my intention to work with James Foster to get his already-created
> Seaside class into a bit more formal shape, and turn that into a
> training book, ala "Learning Perl".
>
> --
> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. -

you are the man!
best
sebastian

Re: Re: [OT] Will there be a book for Seaside on bestpractice/design?

r00t uk
Any ideas if the seaside class will make it to the UK?

2009/5/29 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>
> It's my intention to work with James Foster to get his already-created
> Seaside class into a bit more formal shape, and turn that into a
> training book, ala "Learning Perl".
>
> --
> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. -

you are the man!
best
sebastian

Re: Re: [OT] Will there be a book for Seaside on bestpractice/design?

Randal L. Schwartz

r00t> Any ideas if the seaside class will make it to the UK?

It'll go wherever I'm hired. :)

I'm in the planning stages for holding open-enrollment courses, predominantly
at GemStone's headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon, simply because they have a
nice training room and free soft drinks. :)

I'm also looking at a few solutions for remote training as well.  Not that I
don't enjoy going places, but this would mean I could deal with a
geographically disperse audience.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion