OT - an opinion on node.js

Ben Coman
I've nothing personal against node.js.  Never used it.  But this skit
had me giggling at the end. Had to post it for friends here that might
understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzkRVzciAZg

Without getting too much more OT, I'd be interested to hear any
counter opinons by node.js users.

cheers -ben

Re: OT - an opinion on node.js

Peter Uhnak
How is this related to Pharo in any way? Why is on the pharo mailing list?

The video is intentionally inflammatory and I don't really see a reason why we would need to either start a flame war (if there are node.js devs reading it), or an echo chamber (so we all just put ourselves on the back hour great our Pharo is).

Never used it.
I'd be interested to hear any counter opinons.

wtf?

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The video is intentionally inflammatory and I don't really see a reason why
> we would need to either start a flame war (if there are node.js devs reading
> it), or an echo chamber (so we all just put ourselves on the back hour great
> our Pharo is).
>
>> Never used it.
>> I'd be interested to hear any counter opinons.
>
> wtf?

you a right. I'm embarrassed I didn't think it through.
I apologise, it was out of line.
-ben

Re: OT - an opinion on node.js

David T. Lewis
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 09:50:32PM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Peter Uhn??k <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The video is intentionally inflammatory and I don't really see a reason why
> > we would need to either start a flame war (if there are node.js devs reading
> > it), or an echo chamber (so we all just put ourselves on the back hour great
> > our Pharo is).
> >
> >> Never used it.
> >> I'd be interested to hear any counter opinons.
> >
> > wtf?
>
> you a right. I'm embarrassed I didn't think it through.
> I apologise, it was out of line.
> -ben

Don't feel too badly, I for one got a good laugh out of it :-)

Dave

Re: OT - an opinion on node.js

Jimmie Houchin-5
Personally, I don't think it is out of line. Off topic, as you stated,
but not out of line.

Here is the deal. The people on this mailing list form a community. We
get to know each other in a manner. We trust and value the opinions of
at least some of the people in this community. To me it is okay to ask
off topic question and opinions within limits. If that were the only
contribution to the community. The person might be more like a troll.
You my friend are no troll. You are a regular and valued member of the
community and deserve some liberty for off topic conversation. :)

Just one community member's opinion.

No opinion on the video (haven't watched it yet) nor node.js (never used
it).

Jimmie

On 05/23/2016 08:50 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The video is intentionally inflammatory and I don't really see a reason why
>> we would need to either start a flame war (if there are node.js devs reading
>> it), or an echo chamber (so we all just put ourselves on the back hour great
>> our Pharo is).
>>
>>> Never used it.
>>> I'd be interested to hear any counter opinons.
>> wtf?
> you a right. I'm embarrassed I didn't think it through.
> I apologise, it was out of line.
> -ben

Re: OT - an opinion on node.js

Bob Clark

On 05/23/2016 09:50 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The video is intentionally inflammatory and I don't really see a reason why
>> we would need to either start a flame war (if there are node.js devs reading
>> it), or an echo chamber (so we all just put ourselves on the back hour great
>> our Pharo is).
>>
>>> Never used it.
>>> I'd be interested to hear any counter opinons.
>> wtf?
> you a right. I'm embarrassed I didn't think it through.
> I apologise, it was out of line.
> -ben

Thanks for posting this, I got to really laughing and my morning is much
better now. I didn't quite hear what he said, I thought I heard LIPS?
Did he say It's because of you ... we are all using LIPS? Is that slang
for Pharo? Does Pharo have some project named LIPS? I am a little
confused. What is it?

- B

Re: OT - an opinion on node.js

Jimmie Houchin-5

On 05/23/2016 01:05 PM, Bob Clark wrote:

> On 05/23/2016 09:50 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The video is intentionally inflammatory and I don't really see a
>>> reason why
>>> we would need to either start a flame war (if there are node.js devs
>>> reading
>>> it), or an echo chamber (so we all just put ourselves on the back
>>> hour great
>>> our Pharo is).

>>> wtf?
>> you a right. I'm embarrassed I didn't think it through.
>> I apologise, it was out of line.
>> -ben
>
> Thanks for posting this, I got to really laughing and my morning is
> much better now. I didn't quite hear what he said, I thought I heard
> LIPS? Did he say It's because of you ... we are all using LIPS? Is
> that slang for Pharo? Does Pharo have some project named LIPS? I am a
> little confused. What is it?

I don't know if you are serious or are being funny. Either way he said,
LISP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(programming_language)

An older and interesting language.

Jimmie

Re: OT - an opinion on node.js

kilon.alios
I think from what I have heard at least people use Node.js because its well designed and because they can use a language many people are familiar with Javascript. Personally I have little interest in web development . I cant say I find the video funny since it seems to draw a caricature over people who prefer one technology over another. Afterall you could as well make a video about Pharo vs other languages and IDEs and debate that the boosted productivity is not much and in cases much slower than using other languages.

The answer to those matters is never simple anyway.

And In the end what it counts is the end results, all those tools are just means to an end. So try to convince people about which is best, is kinda pointless as it is this video. We can all be friendly make our own choices without offending other people.

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 8:43 PM Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Personally, I don't think it is out of line. Off topic, as you stated,
but not out of line.

Here is the deal. The people on this mailing list form a community. We
get to know each other in a manner. We trust and value the opinions of
at least some of the people in this community. To me it is okay to ask
off topic question and opinions within limits. If that were the only
contribution to the community. The person might be more like a troll.
You my friend are no troll. You are a regular and valued member of the
community and deserve some liberty for off topic conversation. :)

Just one community member's opinion.

No opinion on the video (haven't watched it yet) nor node.js (never used
it).

Jimmie

On 05/23/2016 08:50 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The video is intentionally inflammatory and I don't really see a reason why
>> we would need to either start a flame war (if there are node.js devs reading
>> it), or an echo chamber (so we all just put ourselves on the back hour great
>> our Pharo is).
>>
>>> Never used it.
>>> I'd be interested to hear any counter opinons.
>> wtf?
> you a right. I'm embarrassed I didn't think it through.
> I apologise, it was out of line.
> -ben

Re: OT - an opinion on node.js

Bob Clark

On 05/23/2016 02:09 PM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> On 05/23/2016 01:05 PM, Bob Clark wrote:

>>> you a right. I'm embarrassed I didn't think it through.
>>> I apologise, it was out of line.
>>> -ben
>>
>> Thanks for posting this, I got to really laughing and my morning is
>> much better now. I didn't quite hear what he said, I thought I heard
>> LIPS? Did he say It's because of you ... we are all using LIPS? Is
>> that slang for Pharo? Does Pharo have some project named LIPS? I am a
>> little confused. What is it?
>>

> I don't know if you are serious or are being funny. Either way he
> said, LISP.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(programming_language)
>
> An older and interesting language.
>
> Jimmie

Well, yes, :) I wass trying to be funny but also to link to pharo. I
think lisp co-evolved with smalltalk-80 yes, so there's a connection.
Lets think about what LiPS could be in pharo... I thinkits the Little
Presentation System, a minimal & modular UI/Ux than can be loaded into a
headless image, and expanded as needed. Then when a headless instance
gets hurt, we'd add some Lips to make it better. We have a better mythology.

> An older and interesting language.

very.

bob