[OT] qooxdoo JavaScript UI

Torsten Bergmann
Looks like qooxdoo has changed license to EPL. Could be a nice
library to build a vendor/system independent Smalltalk IDE
based on Seaside with browsers and stuff:

   http://qooxdoo.org

Compared to SeasideXUL it would not be limited to Mozilla. May also rise
the interest in building commercial web apps in Seaside.

The next Eclipse Platform ("E4") and the next SWT will also use this library -
so it may become a solid base with many widgets and many supported browsers.

Any comments?

Bye
Torsten

Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx

RE: [OT] qooxdoo JavaScript UI

Ramon Leon-5
> Compared to SeasideXUL it would not be limited to Mozilla.
> Any comments?
>
> Bye
> Torsten

What does that mean, limited to Mozilla?  XUL does not require Mozilla,
Mozilla requires XUL; the Mozilla apps themselves are written in XUL.  You
don't need a Mozilla browser installed to run XUL,  you can use XULRunner
which gives you access to the same component framework that all the Mozilla
apps are written in.  I don't know anything about the SeasideXUL project,
but I think there should be a way to run it on the runtime alone without a
browser installed.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [OT] qooxdoo JavaScript UI

Jimmie Houchin-3
Ramon Leon wrote:

>> Compared to SeasideXUL it would not be limited to Mozilla.
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Bye
>> Torsten
>
> What does that mean, limited to Mozilla?  XUL does not require Mozilla,
> Mozilla requires XUL; the Mozilla apps themselves are written in XUL.  You
> don't need a Mozilla browser installed to run XUL,  you can use XULRunner
> which gives you access to the same component framework that all the Mozilla
> apps are written in.  I don't know anything about the SeasideXUL project,
> but I think there should be a way to run it on the runtime alone without a
> browser installed.

I believe he is meaning that SeasideXUL is not cross-browser but qooxdoo
is. I don't think he is wanting to do away with the browser but rather
requiring a specific browser. A SeasideXUL app would not run in IE,
Safari, Opera, etc.

HTH

Jimmie

Re: [OT] qooxdoo JavaScript UI

Randal L. Schwartz

Jimmie> I believe he is meaning that SeasideXUL is not cross-browser but
Jimmie> qooxdoo is. I don't think he is wanting to do away with the browser
Jimmie> but rather requiring a specific browser. A SeasideXUL app would not
Jimmie> run in IE, Safari, Opera, etc.

Can someone familiar with qooxdoo and YUI tell me why I should prefer qooxdoo
to YUI?  I took a look at the qooxdoo demo pages, and the controls are ugly
and unituitive, where the YUI controls and widgets are guaranteed to be
supported on *all* platforms and have a *lot* of paid full-time engineers
(*and* graphic artists) developing them for Yahoo properties.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

RE: [OT] qooxdoo JavaScript UI

Ramon Leon-5

> I believe he is meaning that SeasideXUL is not cross-browser
> but qooxdoo
> is. I don't think he is wanting to do away with the browser
> but rather
> requiring a specific browser. A SeasideXUL app would not run in IE,
> Safari, Opera, etc.
>
> HTH
>
> Jimmie

Which misses the point that XUL shouldn't be thought of as something that
runs in a browser, it's a stand alone cross platform component framework.
Saying XUL won't run in IE is like saying Cocoa or GTK won't run in IE or
Opera.  Safari doesn't run Cocoa either, it's written in Cocoa.  Firefox
doesn't run XUL, it's written in XUL, the underlying framework is just
easily exposed through Firefox as a launching mechanism.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com