Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

12

Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

cedreek
Hi,

I've always found the need to copy/paste object (not string) between say, an inspector/explorer and a workspace.

So I did a small class called ObjectBuffer and some extension that provide this fonctionnality (see the attached picture). I added menu command so that 'buffer it' is accessible from text selection, inspector and explorer. I doubt the implementation is optimal but this is working so I decided to share and see if people would like it too

To get the object stored:

self buffer
or
ObjectBuffer buffer

hth,

--
Cédrick

bufferIt.PNG (64K) Download Attachment
ObjectBuffer-CedrickBeler.1.mcz (2K) Download Attachment
ParagraphEditor class-yellowButtonExpertMenu.st (1K) Download Attachment
Inspector-fieldListMenu.st (1K) Download Attachment
ObjectExplorer-genericMenu.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Cédrick,

Indeed, this is something that one needs from time to time. However, I
wonder, from a usability point of view, if this is the right way to do
it. The problem is that without explaining someone what the menu item
"Buffer it" does and how to use it (e.g., to evaluate "self buffer")
it makes this feature hard to understand.

I think the idea is good, but how could it be made easy to understand
and use?

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW, the same effect can also be achieved by assigning the object to a
global, e.g., "Buffer := self at: 4" and then in the popup select
"declare global" if Buffer is not a global yet.

On Jan 10, 2010, at 14:25 , Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've always found the need to copy/paste object (not string) between
> say, an
> inspector/explorer and a workspace.
>
> So I did a small class called ObjectBuffer and some extension that
> provide
> this fonctionnality (see the attached picture). I added menu command
> so that
> 'buffer it' is accessible from text selection, inspector and
> explorer. I
> doubt the implementation is optimal but this is working so I decided
> share and see if people would like it too
>

> To get the object stored:
>
> self buffer
> or
> ObjectBuffer buffer
>
> hth,
>
> --
> Cédrick
> <bufferIt.PNG><ObjectBuffer-CedrickBeler.1.mcz><ParagraphEditor
> class-yellowButtonExpertMenu.st><Inspector-
> fieldListMenu.st><ObjectExplorer-
> genericMenu.st>_______________________________________________

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Cédrick:  Maybe it is has nothing to do, but a friend of mine once did a little Portia implementation. I think they have a similar Idea. Maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, here is a paper about that:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=118014.117959

Cheers

Mariano

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Cédrick,

Indeed, this is something that one needs from time to time. However, I
wonder, from a usability point of view, if this is the right way to do
it. The problem is that without explaining someone what the menu item
"Buffer it" does and how to use it (e.g., to evaluate "self buffer")
it makes this feature hard to understand.

I think the idea is good, but how could it be made easy to understand
and use?

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW, the same effect can also be achieved by assigning the object to a
global, e.g., "Buffer := self at: 4" and then in the popup select
"declare global" if Buffer is not a global yet.

On Jan 10, 2010, at 14:25 , Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've always found the need to copy/paste object (not string) between
> say, an
> inspector/explorer and a workspace.
>
> So I did a small class called ObjectBuffer and some extension that
> provide
> this fonctionnality (see the attached picture). I added menu command
> so that
> 'buffer it' is accessible from text selection, inspector and
> explorer. I
> doubt the implementation is optimal but this is working so I decided
> share and see if people would like it too
>

> To get the object stored:
>
> self buffer
> or
> ObjectBuffer buffer
>
> hth,
>
> --
> Cédrick
> <bufferIt.PNG><ObjectBuffer-CedrickBeler.1.mcz><ParagraphEditor
> class-yellowButtonExpertMenu.st><Inspector-
> fieldListMenu.st><ObjectExplorer-
> genericMenu.st>_______________________________________________

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

cedreek
The problem is that without explaining someone what the menu item
"Buffer it" does and how to use it (e.g., to evaluate "self buffer")
it makes this feature hard to understand.

yes I agree

I think the idea is good, but how could it be made easy to understand
and use?

don't really know. I first named it 'copy it' and 'paste it' but I don't think that's the issue

BTW, the same effect can also be achieved by assigning the object to a
global, e.g., "Buffer := self at: 4" and then in the popup select
"declare global" if Buffer is not a global yet.

uhmm yes it seems better. No need for an extra class and instead of self buffer, evaluating the global is enough.
Also, am I correct to remove a global like that:
Smalltalk removeKey: #Buffer

Maybe then a menu entry more explicit would be 'store in global named Buffer' 'assign to Buffer'  "store in Buffer" ? ... uhm a bit too long...

Maybe having 'buffer it' in the menu (or store it or copy it) and a secondary item named for instance 'paste it' that is accessible  when Buffer exists and that paste 'Buffer' wherever needed.

What do you think ?

Cédrick

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Stéphane Ducasse
I like the idea.
I like the idea of a class because you could attach behavior to it:
        - cleaning for release
        - exporting
        - importing
So instead of using a global I would use
        instead of Buffer
        why not ObjectClipBoard ?

Stef

> The problem is that without explaining someone what the menu item
> "Buffer it" does and how to use it (e.g., to evaluate "self buffer")
> it makes this feature hard to understand.
>
> yes I agree
>

> I think the idea is good, but how could it be made easy to understand
> and use?
>
> don't really know. I first named it 'copy it' and 'paste it' but I don't think that's the issue
>
> BTW, the same effect can also be achieved by assigning the object to a
> global, e.g., "Buffer := self at: 4" and then in the popup select
> "declare global" if Buffer is not a global yet.
>
> uhmm yes it seems better. No need for an extra class and instead of self buffer, evaluating the global is enough.
> Also, am I correct to remove a global like that:
> Smalltalk removeKey: #Buffer
>

> Maybe then a menu entry more explicit would be 'store in global named Buffer' 'assign to Buffer'  "store in Buffer" ? ... uhm a bit too long...
>
> Maybe having 'buffer it' in the menu (or store it or copy it) and a secondary item named for instance 'paste it' that is accessible  when Buffer exists and that paste 'Buffer' wherever needed.
>
> What do you think ?

> Cédrick

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Damien Pollet
On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:31, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the idea is good, but how could it be made easy to understand
> and use?

Have a list (the graphical widget) of variables declared in the
workspace, drag-n-drop variables between workspaces (this would be
nice anyway, but here it's essentially to distinguish between
copy-pasting the raw text or the object reference). If you drop the
variable somewhere in the code, then the variable is pasted there,
with its name made unique if needed

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Cedrick,

The idea is cool indeed! I often need this feature. I usually use a
global variable Smalltalk at: #TMP or something.
Talking to object is indeed the right thing

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

cedreek
I gave another try.

I like the idea.
I like the idea of a class because you could attach behavior to it:
       - cleaning for release
       - exporting
       - importing

There is already cleaning at startup shutdown...

So instead of using a global I would use
       instead of Buffer
       why not ObjectClipBoard ?

Arf this was the name I was looking for !

So I changed some names and some details.

Name: ObjectClipboard-CedrickBeler.1
Author: CedrickBeler
Time: 11 January 2010, 6:11:56 pm
UUID: 014f775e-ead0-a245-98f0-8bf61c7207ff
Ancestors:

Object clipboard: copy/paste objects between tools

-several objects can be "copied" (up to 5 for now)
-the store is reset after each image startup/shutdown

To access programatically:
-to copy an object:             ObjectClipboard copy: anObject
-to paste an object:           ObjectClipboard paste
-to get all copied objects: ObjectClipboard content

When a copied object is pasted, the store string version unless the size is too long (100 characters). If the size exceed the limit, what's printed is :
 (ObjectClipboard paste) "anObject name"
ie. the command that can be executed with the commented name of the object on the right.

Different menu commands have been created
-text editor, inspector and explorer (named: Copy object and Paste object)
--need to load external files to load (I don't want to change the categories for those) (cf. joined files)

I joined a small screenshot too

hope you like it ;)

Cédrick

ObjectClipboard-CedrickBeler.1.mcz (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

cedreek
Here is the screenshot...

ps: there is a small bug for explorer in the version I sent. I fixed it but don't send yet
--
Cédrick

copyObject.PNG (206K) Download Attachment

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Alexandre Bergel
Maybe you can also add shortcuts: Shift-Cmd-c, Shift-Cmd-v

Alexandre

On 11 Jan 2010, at 14:45, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Here is the screenshot...
>
> ps: there is a small bug for explorer in the version I sent. I fixed
> it but don't send yet
> --
> Cédrick
> <copyObject.PNG>_______________________________________________

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

sounds cool.
The name is cool :))))
Power to the objects/classes - no global!
Stef

On Jan 11, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Here is the screenshot...
>
> ps: there is a small bug for explorer in the version I sent. I fixed it but don't send yet
> --
> Cédrick
> <copyObject.PNG>_______________________________________________

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Gary Chambers-4
Perhaps a unified clipboard would be nicer... objects or text (or,
potentially converible to host OS things...).
A similiar approach has worked well for our ReportBuilder (guess what, it is
called ObjectClipboard...).

Nothing especially special about an object, just another kind of thing that
can be pasted where allowed...

Regards, Gary

Maybe you can also add shortcuts: Shift-Cmd-c, Shift-Cmd-v

Alexandre

On 11 Jan 2010, at 14:45, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Here is the screenshot...
>
> ps: there is a small bug for explorer in the version I sent. I fixed
> it but don't send yet
> --
> Cédrick
> <copyObject.PNG>_______________________________________________

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout) -- about keyboard shortcuts

csrabak
May I suggest that instead of having new tools assigned shortcuts hard coded we go after some solution to have them configurable?

my 0.019999....

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 11/01/2010 15:56, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Maybe you can also add shortcuts: Shift-Cmd-c, Shift-Cmd-v

Alexandre

On 11 Jan 2010, at 14:45, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Here is the screenshot...
>
> ps: there is a small bug for explorer in the version I sent. I fixed
> it but don't send yet
> --
> Cédrick

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Maybe you can also add shortcuts: Shift-Cmd-c, Shift-Cmd-v

Alexandre

On 11 Jan 2010, at 14:45, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Here is the screenshot...
>
> ps: there is a small bug for explorer in the version I sent. I fixed
> it but don't send yet
> --
> Cédrick

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

We are happy with code :)

On Jan 11, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Perhaps a unified clipboard would be nicer... objects or text (or,
> potentially converible to host OS things...).
> A similiar approach has worked well for our ReportBuilder (guess what, it is
> called ObjectClipboard...).
>
> Nothing especially special about an object, just another kind of thing that
> can be pasted where allowed...
>
> Regards, Gary

The name is cool :)

On Jan 11, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Perhaps a unified clipboard would be nicer... objects or text (or,
> potentially converible to host OS things...).
> A similiar approach has worked well for our ReportBuilder (guess what, it is
> called ObjectClipboard...).
>
> Nothing especially special about an object, just another kind of thing that
> can be pasted where allowed...
>
> Regards, Gary

Yes, I'll do it

note: dealing with menu is already painful but shortcuts are far worse ! refactoring them is a hard topic I imagine... especially as it's closely related to the windowing system... :(

Alexandre

On 11 Jan 2010, at 14:45, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Here is the screenshot...
>
> ps: there is a small bug for explorer in the version I sent. I fixed
> it but don't send yet
> --
> Cédrick
> <copyObject.PNG>_______________________________________________

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Cédrick

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

cedreek

Perhaps a unified clipboard would be nicer... objects or text (or,
potentially converible to host OS things...).

yes that would be really great (copy name seems useless to me... better to have copy object and paste name eventually) !
But I don't have the expertise to do it I guess. For now we have in the image:

Clipboard
   ExternalClipboard (from Sophie)
     MacOSClipboard
   SqueakClipboard  (empty !)

A similiar approach has worked well for our ReportBuilder (guess what, it is
called ObjectClipboard...).

Nothing especially special about an object, just another kind of thing that
can be pasted where allowed...

Regards, Gary

Maybe you can also add shortcuts: Shift-Cmd-c, Shift-Cmd-v

Alexandre

On 11 Jan 2010, at 14:45, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Here is the screenshot...
>
> ps: there is a small bug for explorer in the version I sent. I fixed
> it but don't send yet
> --
> Cédrick
> <copyObject.PNG>_______________________________________________

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Cédrick

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Adrian Kuhn
Damien Pollet <damien.pollet@...> writes:

> drag-n-drop variables between workspaces etc

+1 drag and drop would be nice indeed.

VW had this and I miss it all the times in Pharo. Dragging an object from an
 inspector to a workspace is just so convenient, priceless!

--AA

Re: Object Buffer (implementation tryout)

Lukas Renggli
> VW had this and I miss it all the times in Pharo. Dragging an object from an
>  inspector to a workspace is just so convenient, priceless!

OBTools has that since the beginning. Somebody would need to spend
some time on these tools though to make them really useful.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch