Object Editor

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi -

I just put a sneak preview of some improvements to the Object Editor
in PartsBin/Fabian (ObjectEditorII).

The idea is to make the script editor less noisy. I got rid of
'this.addScript....' in the editor pane.

Besides being more understandable to new (and old) users, it has a few
more technical advantages as well (enables us to fix
http://lively-kernel.org/trac/ticket/274).

Challenges:
- How to improve UI for tagging methods?

Have fun,
Fabian

Re: Object Editor

Robert Krahn-4
Hi, Fabian --

Thanks, that's cool! For some reason the editor can not show all of it's own methods, there seems to be a bug when retrieving source code?

Best,
Robert

On Mar 7, 2012, at 11:22 PM, Fabian Bornhofen wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I just put a sneak preview of some improvements to the Object Editor
> in PartsBin/Fabian (ObjectEditorII).
>
> The idea is to make the script editor less noisy. I got rid of
> 'this.addScript....' in the editor pane.
>
> Besides being more understandable to new (and old) users, it has a few
> more technical advantages as well (enables us to fix
> http://lively-kernel.org/trac/ticket/274).
>
> Challenges:
> - How to improve UI for tagging methods?
>
> Have fun,
> Fabian

Re: Object Editor

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi Robert -

did you fix that by any chance? ;)

Best,
Fabian

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Robert Krahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Fabian --
>
> Thanks, that's cool! For some reason the editor can not show all of it's own methods, there seems to be a bug when retrieving source code?
>
> Best,
> Robert
>

> On Mar 7, 2012, at 11:22 PM, Fabian Bornhofen wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I just put a sneak preview of some improvements to the Object Editor
>> in PartsBin/Fabian (ObjectEditorII).
>>
>> The idea is to make the script editor less noisy. I got rid of
>> 'this.addScript....' in the editor pane.
>>
>> Besides being more understandable to new (and old) users, it has a few
>> more technical advantages as well (enables us to fix
>> http://lively-kernel.org/trac/ticket/274).
>>
>> Challenges:
>> - How to improve UI for tagging methods?
>>
>> Have fun,
>> Fabian

Re: Object Editor

Robert Krahn-4
Hmm I fixed a source code retrieval bug but I thought that there still was something wrong… if it works for you then just leave it that way. Will have a look later.

On Mar 10, 2012, at 5:03 AM, Fabian Bornhofen wrote:

> Hi Robert -
>
> did you fix that by any chance? ;)
>
> Best,
> Fabian
>
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Robert Krahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, Fabian --
>>
>> Thanks, that's cool! For some reason the editor can not show all of it's own methods, there seems to be a bug when retrieving source code?
>>
>> Best,
>> Robert
>>

>> On Mar 7, 2012, at 11:22 PM, Fabian Bornhofen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> I just put a sneak preview of some improvements to the Object Editor
>>> in PartsBin/Fabian (ObjectEditorII).
>>>
>>> The idea is to make the script editor less noisy. I got rid of
>>> 'this.addScript....' in the editor pane.
>>>
>>> Besides being more understandable to new (and old) users, it has a few
>>> more technical advantages as well (enables us to fix
>>> http://lively-kernel.org/trac/ticket/274).
>>>
>>> Challenges:
>>> - How to improve UI for tagging methods?
>>>
>>> Have fun,
>>> Fabian

Re: Object Editor

Fabian Bornhofen-2
Hi -

Jens and I just agreed on entering a public testing phase for that
change. That means that this one is now the default Object Editor. The
preivous OE is available in PartsBin/Tools/ObjectEditorLegacy. Please
report any defects, or fix them ;).

The rationale here is that the old OE was not able to retrieve a
script's original source correctly i.e. in Firefox. Comments in the
source would not appear any more. The new OE now also stores the
original JS source with each script.
Also, it removes the syntactical noise of 'this.addScript'.

Good luck & have fun,
Fabian