Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Stéphane Ducasse
I want to thanks didier for releasing the code of his book under MIT.
Thanks!

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Didier Besset <[hidden email]>
> Date: October 14, 2010 8:06:52 PM GMT+02:00
> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Disclaimer
>
> I hereby release the code of my book "Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license.
>
> Didier Besset

Re: Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Schwab,Wilhelm K
That is wonderful news!

Didier,  There is a natural question that arises: what are the performance implications of Smalltalk or Java?  Why not C with a Smalltalk wrapper?  I have not tried number crunching with Cog or NativeBoost doing some of the expensive lifting, but absent those advantages, the benefit from coding tight loops in C has been nothing short of eerie.  I have never tried Java for it.  If there is a speed boost to be had, would a port offend you?  I am a pragmatist, so it would begin one function at a time, chosen by the type of work I do and driven by when the machine grunts.

Thanks,

Bill

I want to thanks didier for releasing the code of his book under MIT.
Thanks!

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Didier Besset <[hidden email]>
> Date: October 14, 2010 8:06:52 PM GMT+02:00
> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Disclaimer
>
> I hereby release the code of my book "Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license.
>
> Didier Besset

Re: [Esug-list] Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/14/2010 10:02 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> I want to thanks didier for releasing the code of his book under MIT.

That's great, thanks!

Paolo

Re: Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Geert Claes
Administrator
Maybe a silly question, but it is the "code" of the book "Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods", so the book itself won't be available for free?

Stéphane Ducasse wrote
I want to thanks didier for releasing the code of his book under MIT.
Thanks!

Didier Besset wrote
Begin forwarded message:

On Oct 15, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Maybe a silly question, but it is the "code" of the book "Object Oriented
> Implementation of Numerical Methods", so the book itself won't be available
> for free?

I do not think so but if we can get the pdf it would be really good for my free Smalltalk books collection :)

Stef

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> I want to thanks didier for releasing the code of his book under MIT.
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Didier Besset wrote:
>>>
>>> Begin forwarded message:

Re: Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Oct 15, 2010, at 1:01 31PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

On Oct 15, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

Maybe a silly question, but it is the "code" of the book "Object Oriented
Implementation of Numerical Methods", so the book itself won't be available
for free?

http://books.google.no/books?id=kKfY0SB0O-cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Object+Oriented+Implementation+of+Numerical+Methods&source=bl&ots=n0g0V5KslI&sig=LEzo9dMLP9vui5rPvkKWrOqTB6o&hl=no&ei=Uzy4TP_wNsyZOoTuue8M&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Second hit on google of the title...

Cheers,
Henry

On Oct 15, 2010, at 1:41 06PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

On Oct 15, 2010, at 1:01 31PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

On Oct 15, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

Maybe a silly question, but it is the "code" of the book "Object Oriented
Implementation of Numerical Methods", so the book itself won't be available
for free?

http://books.google.no/books?id=kKfY0SB0O-cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Object+Oriented+Implementation+of+Numerical+Methods&source=bl&ots=n0g0V5KslI&sig=LEzo9dMLP9vui5rPvkKWrOqTB6o&hl=no&ei=Uzy4TP_wNsyZOoTuue8M&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Second hit on google of the title...

Cheers,
Henry

Weird, I could swear I had a tab open where all pages were viewable, but in the currently open one, the preview is limited.

Sorry for the noise.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Why should it be free?  It might be nice to have an electronic copy, or just permission to scan and release, in escrow.  That could be done quietly between Didier and ESUG, and triggered if the book is no longer in print.  If it is in print and the code is worth having we should be buying copies.  To do otherwise undercuts investment by both the author and the publisher.

I bought Numerical Recipes with a much smaller carrot than MIT source.  The only reason I did not buy the book long ago is that the mix of topics was not a direct match for me, and because I generally look for C code that I can compile into libraries with clean interfaces.  I do more FFT, DWT than anything else; if they are in the book, I missed it.

Bill

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I want to thanks didier for releasing the code of his book under MIT.
> Thanks!
>

> Didier Besset wrote:
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>> From: Didier Besset <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: October 14, 2010 8:06:52 PM GMT+02:00
>>> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Disclaimer
>>>
>>> I hereby release the code of my book "Object Oriented Implementation of
>>> Numerical Methods" under the > > MIT license.
>>>
>>> Didier Besset

Re: Object Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" under the MIT license

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Didier,

I would go along with "clearly" with the code in Smalltalk; I do not have enough experience with Java to pronounce it too slow to do the job.  Nor can I claim to understand what is involved in a continental weather forecast.  When it comes to transforming 500,000 sample time series, I have a little more sense of it.  There the problem is not so much the cost of processing one of them, it's that I have many of them to analyze and summarize.

It might be that you do not address the expensive things that I use.  For things like non-linear regression with modest numbers of points, the speed penalty of even Smalltalk might indeed not be a deterrent.

In terms of my GPL/GSL struggle, the code most likely to be put at risk by GPL is what is needed to do least squares, root finding, and regression; it is also (however indirectly) connected to the more poorly designed parts of GSL.  The transforms are relatively clean, and would be almost directly accessible with only modest improvements to Pharo.  The few vector operations that I have used from BLAS can be clean-roomed with little effort.  This could work out nicely.

I'm not sure I agree that communication with external libraries is "unstable."  I have done a lot of it for a long time with good results.  It is true that our current FFI is not as good as Dolphin's, but it does work as far as it goes.  It can be readily modified to provide diagnostic information that is suppressed by default and that helps a lot in getting things to work.  NativeBoost and/or Alien will hopefully address callbacks and get closer to Dolphin's handling of structure field types.

Bill