Object>>className

12

Object>>className

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    I find Object>>#className offensive; is methods are far nicer than this nonsense.  First of all  className is implemented in several Monticello classes to do what you'd expect; answer the name of a class of some to-be-imported item such as a method or class definition.  Second, there are tests out there that simply don't do what a naive reading might expect:

testClassCommentAnnotation
| annotation |
browser selectSystemCategory: browser class category.
browser selectClass: browser class.
annotation := browser annotationForClassCommentFor: browser class.
self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: browser class organization commentStamp).
self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: 'class comment for').
self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: browser className).

Is it /really/ that hard to write foo class name instead of foo className and have subclasses prevented from using it easily e.g. when one tries to do "create inst var accessors" for a class that one has added a className inst var?  We already have Object>>#name, which is horrible enough.  Ca we think seriously about nuking Object>>#className?

The grouch.
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Object>>className

Chris Muller-3
Hi Eliot,

Object>>#name is a travesty, but #className seems perfectly
reasonable.  Did you notice the comment of the method?  -- it has
nothing to do with "is" testing, but for accessing the type names of
objects for a list, useful for presenting a list classes which could be
the receiver for constructor of more objects.

I have overrides of #className in some of the Ma Serializer classes,
it's never presented any headache for me at all.

> e.g. when one tries to do "create inst var accessors" for a class that one has
> added a className inst var?

Honestly, dude, THAT is what irritated you enough to want to delete
this 17 year old method?  A special-case of a special-case?

I would rather get rid of "create inst var accessors" altogether, then
you would not have that problem.   :)

I don't really see any problem with #className, and easily presenting
the types of objects in a list is very feasible thing to want to do.

-1

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I find Object>>#className offensive; is methods are far nicer than this
> nonsense.  First of all  className is implemented in several Monticello
> classes to do what you'd expect; answer the name of a class of some
> to-be-imported item such as a method or class definition.  Second, there are
> tests out there that simply don't do what a naive reading might expect:
>
> testClassCommentAnnotation
> | annotation |
> browser selectSystemCategory: browser class category.
> browser selectClass: browser class.
> annotation := browser annotationForClassCommentFor: browser class.
> self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: browser class organization
> commentStamp).
> self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: 'class comment for').
> self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: browser className).
>
> Is it /really/ that hard to write foo class name instead of foo className
> and have subclasses prevented from using it easily e.g. when one tries to do
> "create inst var accessors" for a class that one has added a className inst
> var?  We already have Object>>#name, which is horrible enough.  Ca we think
> seriously about nuking Object>>#className?
>
> The grouch.
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

Re: Object>>className

Chris Muller-3
What I WOULD like to have, though, is an extra level of indirection
for everywhere in the system that sends #class.  We have
Object>>#xxxClass but I would like to rename it to something nicer
like #actualClass before changing senders...

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I find Object>>#className offensive; is methods are far nicer than this
> nonsense.  First of all  className is implemented in several Monticello
> classes to do what you'd expect; answer the name of a class of some
> to-be-imported item such as a method or class definition.  Second, there are
> tests out there that simply don't do what a naive reading might expect:
>
> testClassCommentAnnotation
> | annotation |
> browser selectSystemCategory: browser class category.
> browser selectClass: browser class.
> annotation := browser annotationForClassCommentFor: browser class.
> self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: browser class organization
> commentStamp).
> self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: 'class comment for').
> self assert: (annotation includesSubstring: browser className).
>
> Is it /really/ that hard to write foo class name instead of foo className
> and have subclasses prevented from using it easily e.g. when one tries to do
> "create inst var accessors" for a class that one has added a className inst
> var?  We already have Object>>#name, which is horrible enough.  Ca we think
> seriously about nuking Object>>#className?
>
> The grouch.
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot

Re: Object>>className

timrowledge

> On 23-03-2017, at 3:10 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would rather get rid of "create inst var accessors" altogether, then
> you would not have that problem.   :)

If I could think of a way of getting away with it I’d make it completely impossible to make methods with the same name as an ivar. All it does is encourage the sort of scoundrels ( cads! bounders! mountebanks I tell you!) that treat classes as Pascal records or C structs. Didn’tortabealloweditellya.

tim
 Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly answer the door in your nightgown.

Re: Object>>className

timrowledge

> On 23-03-2017, at 2:08 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
>     I find Object>>#className offensive;

Doesn’t the concept of a className var and method become a bit problematic with Environments?

tim
Useful random insult:- Looks for the "Any" key.

Re: Object>>className

Tobias Pape

> On 24.03.2017, at 01:17, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 23-03-2017, at 3:10 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would rather get rid of "create inst var accessors" altogether, then
>> you would not have that problem.   :)
>
> If I could think of a way of getting away with it I’d make it completely impossible to make methods with the same name as an ivar. All it does is encourage the sort of scoundrels ( cads! bounders! mountebanks I tell you!) that treat classes as Pascal records or C structs. Didn’tortabealloweditellya.

I'd rather have the opposite direction.
All instvars should be required to have accessors; I don't want see any code that accesses instvars directly _execpt_ accessors…

> tim
> Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly answer the door in your nightgown.

Re: Object>>className

Hannes Hirzel
On 3/24/17, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 24.03.2017, at 01:17, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 23-03-2017, at 3:10 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would rather get rid of "create inst var accessors" altogether, then
>>> you would not have that problem.   :)
>>
>> If I could think of a way of getting away with it I’d make it completely
>> impossible to make methods with the same name as an ivar. All it does is
>> encourage the sort of scoundrels ( cads! bounders! mountebanks I tell
>> you!) that treat classes as Pascal records or C structs.
>> Didn’tortabealloweditellya.
>>

> I'd rather have the opposite direction.
> All instvars should be required to have accessors; I don't want see any code
> that accesses instvars directly _execpt_ accessors…
+1

>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly answer
>> the door in your nightgown.

Re: Object>>className

Levente Uzonyi
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:

>> On 24.03.2017, at 01:17, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 23-03-2017, at 3:10 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would rather get rid of "create inst var accessors" altogether, then
>>> you would not have that problem.   :)
>>
>> If I could think of a way of getting away with it I’d make it completely impossible to make methods with the same name as an ivar. All it does is encourage the sort of scoundrels ( cads! bounders! mountebanks I tell you!) that treat classes as Pascal records or C structs. Didn’tortabealloweditellya.
>>

> I'd rather have the opposite direction.
> All instvars should be required to have accessors; I don't want see any code that accesses instvars directly _execpt_ accessors…
Why would that be any good?
If it is a good idea, then what are instance variables good for?

Levente

>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly answer the door in your nightgown.

Re: Object>>className

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Chris,

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

Object>>#name is a travesty, but #className seems perfectly
reasonable.  Did you notice the comment of the method?  -- it has
nothing to do with "is" testing, but for accessing the type names of
objects for a list, useful for presenting a list classes which could be
the receiver for constructor of more objects.

You miss my point.  Many people complain about the proliferation of 'is' methods, but I see them as well worth the cost.  I agree that name is a travesty and className falls in the same category for me.  The issue is it exists as a printing method but it
- collides with methods that are used to model classes and there are plenty of them
- doesn't provide much utility as it is effectively foo class name, and foo className saves one character.

I have overrides of #className in some of the Ma Serializer classes,
it's never presented any headache for me at all.

Except when one uses "create inst var accessors" and the getter is not produced ;-)

> e.g. when one tries to do "create inst var accessors" for a class that one has
> added a className inst var?

Honestly, dude, THAT is what irritated you enough to want to delete
this 17 year old method?  A special-case of a special-case?

I would rather get rid of "create inst var accessors" altogether, then
you would not have that problem.   :)

I don't really see any problem with #className, and easily presenting
the types of objects in a list is very feasible thing to want to do.

-1

Well, each to his own.

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Object>>className

Tobias Pape

> On 24.03.2017, at 18:10, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> - doesn't provide much utility as it is effectively foo class name, and foo className saves one character.

Law of Demeter.

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Object>>className

Chris Muller-3
Hi Eliot,

>> Object>>#name is a travesty, but #className seems perfectly
>> reasonable.  Did you notice the comment of the method?  -- it has
>> nothing to do with "is" testing, but for accessing the type names of
>> objects for a list, useful for presenting a list classes which could be
>> the receiver for constructor of more objects.
>
> You miss my point.  Many people complain about the proliferation of 'is'
> methods, but I see them as well worth the cost.  I agree that name is a
> travesty and className falls in the same category for me.  The issue is it
> exists as a printing method but it
> - collides with methods that are used to model classes and there are plenty
> of them

As does every method on Object.  Name overloading happens all the
time.  I don't think it should be a reason to single out any
particular method for de-rezolution.  :)

> - doesn't provide much utility as it is effectively foo class name, and foo
> className saves one character.

The utility is that it provides a performable selector which, as
alluded, can be used by list widgets or Maui.

Real quick, just so you know, I'm not passtionate about this
particular method, I'm just more interested in understanding and
discussing our criteria for decisions.  You mentioned utility, that is
definitely one.  Another is the human <-----> Class-Library interface.
I capitalized Class-Library there to help think of it as a singular
"Thing" that has its own big-picture aesthetic wholeness and
completeness.  It's not merely a collection of optimized classes and
methods.

>> I have overrides of #className in some of the Ma Serializer classes,
>> it's never presented any headache for me at all.
>

> Except when one uses "create inst var accessors" and the getter is not
> produced ;-)

Maybe that feature could be simply fixed to generate the overriding
method anyway, and put it in an "overriding" category instead of
"accessing", and/or add in a super call.

I just think we should not let this minor kink in a rinky-dink IDE
feature like "create inst var accesors" drive our decisions about the
content and aesthetic and usability of The Class Library.

Best Regards,
  Chris

Re: Object>>className

Levente Uzonyi
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:

>> On 24.03.2017, at 18:10, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> - doesn't provide much utility as it is effectively foo class name, and foo className saves one character.
>
> Law of Demeter.

Blindly applying such ideas will result in a huge mess. In this case
#className and #name cause more trouble than benefit. Object should shadow
as few accessors as possible.

Levente

> Best regards
> -Tobias

Re: Object>>className

Tobias Pape

> On 24.03.2017, at 19:36, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:
>

>>> On 24.03.2017, at 18:10, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> - doesn't provide much utility as it is effectively foo class name, and foo className saves one character.
>>
>> Law of Demeter.
>
> Blindly applying such ideas will result in a huge mess.
> In this case #className and #name cause more trouble than benefit.

I still fail to see that for #className.

> Object should shadow as few accessors as possible.

That's messy. How can we predict what superclass will shadow what in which subclass.
That's not gonna work. How should in 2000 anyone anticipate that someone years later will create Monticello and name an instance variable 'className'.

What about environment? executor? flash? presenter? scriptPerformer?
Do we have to anticipate that somewhen in some domain implementation these could be accessors down the hierarchy?

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Levente
>

>> Best regards
>> -Tobias

Re: Object>>className

timrowledge

> On 24-03-2017, at 12:56 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> All instvars should be required to have accessors; I don't want see any code that accesses instvars directly _execpt_ accessors…

Well, there’s pro’s and con’s for that.

Pro
 - nice regular feature; you always use a message and never an instvar reference (except some variety of magic to allow the one and only accessor to work) and then maybe you could remove all the ivar accessing bytecodes too. With a naive implementation you can do
        ^foo ifNil:[foo := MyClass makeFoo]
type lazy initialisation easily. Obviously a little more involved if you go the Self route, but equally obviously, doable since they already did it.

Con
 - almost certainly slower and particularly so for a version with a lazy init since that will always get checked. Potentially fixable with Sista tricks.
 - makes it far too easy and inviting to write truly appalling code. For example, how often do we see less experienced people write code that might as well be C?
e.g.
testval := (dog legs first paw claws) at: 2.
testval type = #cutRecently ifTrue:[ ((dog legs first paw claws) at: 2) type: #buffedAndPolished].

Which is an example of massive violation of encapsulation, dreadful design integrity, poor maintainability, and general awfulness. Worse, it’s a very common pattern.

Now certainly simply having ivar accessors is not the sole and complete cause of such horrors but it certainly makes it very inviting. If - big if - we could make such accessors actually private then there might be a better argument for them.

I’m sure we could come up with something that might work if we really want to; in fact how about this rough concept (which I dare say is already extant in someone’s PhD thesis somewhen)

Use of ivar name in code is treated as now - it access that object within ‘self’ BUT if the value is nil it diverts (like ifTrue: does for non-booleans) to a method named something vaguely intuitable like #initialiseIVar{name}. If no such method exists then the accessor is as before - with obvious costs similar to cache-flushing any time one is added or deleted or otherwise relevantly changed.

This would keep the ivar name a private thing to the class (just as now) unless someone specifically wanted to provide it as a public accessor. Writing code that refers to iVar would work exactly as now.  Adding #initialiseIVar would cause recompiling of all methods using the applicable bytecode(s) to use some other bytecode(s) that test and send #initialiseIVar when required. Deleting it would do the obvious.

tim
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Re: Object>>className

Levente Uzonyi
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Law of Demeter.
>>
>> Blindly applying such ideas will result in a huge mess.
>> In this case #className and #name cause more trouble than benefit.
>
> I still fail to see that for #className.
>
>> Object should shadow as few accessors as possible.
>>

> That's messy. How can we predict what superclass will shadow what in which subclass.
> That's not gonna work. How should in 2000 anyone anticipate that someone years later will create Monticello and name an instance variable 'className'.
>
> What about environment? executor? flash? presenter? scriptPerformer?

You act as if I were to support the presence of any of those methods;
quite the contrary.

> Do we have to anticipate that somewhen in some domain implementation these could be accessors down the hierarchy?

You can't see the future, but you can think twice _before_ adding a
selector understood by _all objects_ in the system.
Were there a huge warning displayed whenever you attempted to do that,
there would probably be way fewer methods like those you listed.

Levente

P.S.: The whole macpal category of Object should be cleaned up.

> Best regards
> -Tobias
>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Best regards
>>> -Tobias

Re: Object>>className

Tobias Pape

> On 24.03.2017, at 22:44, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Blindly applying such ideas will result in a huge mess.
>>> In this case #className and #name cause more trouble than benefit.
>>
>> I still fail to see that for #className.
>>
>>> Object should shadow as few accessors as possible.
>>
>> That's messy. How can we predict what superclass will shadow what in which subclass.
>> That's not gonna work. How should in 2000 anyone anticipate that someone years later will create Monticello and name an instance variable 'className'.
>>
>> What about environment? executor? flash? presenter? scriptPerformer?
>
> You act as if I were to support the presence of any of those methods; quite the contrary.

No, I'm saying putting the burden of knowing the future on the methods in Object is unreasonable.
And I think it is perfectly ok to have different meanings to the same method between the root of our hierarchy and other classes.
Otherwise we could always use ProtoObject.

>> Do we have to anticipate that somewhen in some domain implementation these could be accessors down the hierarchy?
>
> You can't see the future, but you can think twice _before_ adding a selector understood by _all objects_ in the system.
> Were there a huge warning displayed whenever you attempted to do that, there would probably be way fewer methods like those you listed.

I don't know. Maybe the problem here is that we still don't have a good modu… ok I stop here.

> Levente
>
> P.S.: The whole macpal category of Object should be cleaned up.

what is mapcal after all? and btw, who is 'sw'?

>> Best regards
>> -Tobias
>>

>>> Levente

Re: Object>>className

Levente Uzonyi
Another con is that it makes it harder, sometimes way harder, to find
references to a given variable.

Levente

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> On 24-03-2017, at 12:56 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All instvars should be required to have accessors; I don't want see any code that accesses instvars directly _execpt_ accessors…
>
> Well, there’s pro’s and con’s for that.
>
> Pro
> - nice regular feature; you always use a message and never an instvar reference (except some variety of magic to allow the one and only accessor to work) and then maybe you could remove all the ivar accessing bytecodes too. With a naive implementation you can do
>        ^foo ifNil:[foo := MyClass makeFoo]
> type lazy initialisation easily. Obviously a little more involved if you go the Self route, but equally obviously, doable since they already did it.
>
> Con
> - almost certainly slower and particularly so for a version with a lazy init since that will always get checked. Potentially fixable with Sista tricks.
> - makes it far too easy and inviting to write truly appalling code. For example, how often do we see less experienced people write code that might as well be C?
> e.g.
> testval := (dog legs first paw claws) at: 2.
> testval type = #cutRecently ifTrue:[ ((dog legs first paw claws) at: 2) type: #buffedAndPolished].
>
> Which is an example of massive violation of encapsulation, dreadful design integrity, poor maintainability, and general awfulness. Worse, it’s a very common pattern.
>
> Now certainly simply having ivar accessors is not the sole and complete cause of such horrors but it certainly makes it very inviting. If - big if - we could make such accessors actually private then there might be a better argument for them.
>
> I’m sure we could come up with something that might work if we really want to; in fact how about this rough concept (which I dare say is already extant in someone’s PhD thesis somewhen)
>
> Use of ivar name in code is treated as now - it access that object within ‘self’ BUT if the value is nil it diverts (like ifTrue: does for non-booleans) to a method named something vaguely intuitable like #initialiseIVar{name}. If no such method exists then the accessor is as before - with obvious costs similar to cache-flushing any time one is added or deleted or otherwise relevantly changed.
>
> This would keep the ivar name a private thing to the class (just as now) unless someone specifically wanted to provide it as a public accessor. Writing code that refers to iVar would work exactly as now.  Adding #initialiseIVar would cause recompiling of all methods using the applicable bytecode(s) to use some other bytecode(s) that test and send #initialiseIVar when required. Deleting it would do the obvious.
>
> tim
> The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Re: Object>>className

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> P.S.: The whole macpal category of Object should be cleaned up.
what is mapcal after all? and btw, who is 'sw'?

sw is none other than Scott Wallace, of course.  As far as I know, MacPal was an experimental end-user programming environment, and if I'm not mistaken, it was conceived and worked on a bit before Squeak got started.  I think Scott and co. were using Squeak to further advance the idea.

This is an informative page I diid not know:

I am pretty sure that we had the paper of MacPal (and one on Constructo) somewhere at our office, but cannot find it...

--
-- Yoshiki

Re: Object>>className

Tobias Pape

> On 24.03.2017, at 23:19, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > P.S.: The whole macpal category of Object should be cleaned up.
> what is mapcal after all? and btw, who is 'sw'?
>
> sw is none other than Scott Wallace, of course.  As far as I know, MacPal was an experimental end-user programming environment, and if I'm not mistaken, it was conceived and worked on a bit before Squeak got started.  I think Scott and co. were using Squeak to further advance the idea.
>
> This is an informative page I diid not know:
>
> http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/sigchi/bulletin/1998.2/spohrer.html
>
> I am pretty sure that we had the paper of MacPal (and one on Constructo) somewhere at our office, but cannot find it...

Ohh that's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing, Yoshiki!

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Object>>className

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24.03.2017, at 23:19, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > P.S.: The whole macpal category of Object should be cleaned up.
> what is mapcal after all? and btw, who is 'sw'?
>
> sw is none other than Scott Wallace, of course.  As far as I know, MacPal was an experimental end-user programming environment, and if I'm not mistaken, it was conceived and worked on a bit before Squeak got started.  I think Scott and co. were using Squeak to further advance the idea.
>
> This is an informative page I diid not know:
>
> http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/sigchi/bulletin/1998.2/spohrer.html
>
> I am pretty sure that we had the paper of MacPal (and one on Constructo) somewhere at our office, but cannot find it...

Ohh that's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing, Yoshiki!

For SK8 and some other ATG stuff, I have some movies that are digitized from VHS and other kind of tapes.  I'd still hesitate to make all of those public, but there are some already visible on my YouTube channel.

--
-- Yoshiki

12