Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

In the last days there was a discussion that

     Object>>#name

should no longer be used. I did not follow the discussion in detail.
What was decided how #name should be replaced?

What do I need to do if I get a deprecation warning [1]?

Thanks for the answer in advance

Hannes

[1]
The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
deprecated.
Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
#asString or #printString instead.

Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

Re: Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
It says so "on the tin" i.e. in the exception itself

  "Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use #asString or #printString instead."

;-)

> On 24 Aug 2017, at 14:49, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> In the last days there was a discussion that
>
>     Object>>#name
>

> should no longer be used. I did not follow the discussion in detail.
> What was decided how #name should be replaced?
>
> What do I need to do if I get a deprecation warning [1]?
>

> Thanks for the answer in advance
>
> Hannes
>

> [1]
> The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
> deprecated.
> Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
> #asString or #printString instead.
>
> Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

Re: Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yes Object >> name is deprecated. A huge victory against evil ideas :)
I'm proud of us.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It says so "on the tin" i.e. in the exception itself
>
>   "Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use #asString or #printString instead."
>
> ;-)
>
>> On 24 Aug 2017, at 14:49, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> In the last days there was a discussion that
>>
>>     Object>>#name
>>

>> should no longer be used. I did not follow the discussion in detail.
>> What was decided how #name should be replaced?
>>
>> What do I need to do if I get a deprecation warning [1]?
>>

>> Thanks for the answer in advance
>>
>> Hannes
>>

>> [1]
>> The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
>> deprecated.
>> Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
>> #asString or #printString instead.
>>
>> Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

Re: Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Ben Coman
I don't have an Image to check, but I believe Object>>name
just does "^self printString",
so by default, in your application send #printString instead of #name.

cheers -ben

P.S. Perhaps this would be a good candidate for automated rewrite?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

In the last days there was a discussion that

     Object>>#name

should no longer be used. I did not follow the discussion in detail.
What was decided how #name should be replaced?

What do I need to do if I get a deprecation warning [1]?

Thanks for the answer in advance

Hannes

[1]
The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
deprecated.
Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
#asString or #printString instead.

Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

Re: Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Hannes Hirzel
OK, so #name should not be used at all [1]

The error message I get is

PPCommonMarkSpecTest class>>DoIt (blockVisitor is Undeclared)
The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
deprecated.
Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
#asString or #printString instead.

I wonder how I can fix this without going to much into details.

--Hannes

[1] Pharo 6.1 source code:

Object>>name
        "Answer a name for the receiver.  This is used generically in the
title of certain inspectors, such as the referred-to inspector, and
specificially by various subsystems.  By default, we let the object
just print itself out..  "

        self
                deprecated: 'Implement your own domain representation of an object,
or use #asString or #printString instead.'
                on: '27 May 2016'
                in: #Pharo6.
        ^ self printString

On 8/25/17, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have an Image to check, but I believe Object>>name
> just does "^self printString",
> so by default, in your application send #printString instead of #name.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> P.S. Perhaps this would be a good candidate for automated rewrite?
>

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> In the last days there was a discussion that
>>
>>      Object>>#name
>>

>> should no longer be used. I did not follow the discussion in detail.
>> What was decided how #name should be replaced?
>>
>> What do I need to do if I get a deprecation warning [1]?
>>

>> Thanks for the answer in advance
>>
>> Hannes
>>

>> [1]
>> The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
>> deprecated.
>> Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
>> #asString or #printString instead.
>>
>> Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

Re: Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Ben Coman
Just checking my presumption... is  PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn:
you own application method?   So where it sends #name, instead send #printString (or #asString).

Alternatively, #name is being sent to some domain object that doesn't implement #name, so it falls back to the super one from Object.  So implement YourDomainObject>>#name: so the one from Object is not executed.

cheers -ben

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 4:38 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, so #name should not be used at all [1]

The error message I get is

PPCommonMarkSpecTest class>>DoIt (blockVisitor is Undeclared)
The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
deprecated.
Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
#asString or #printString instead.

I wonder how I can fix this without going to much into details.

--Hannes

[1] Pharo 6.1 source code:

Object>>name
        "Answer a name for the receiver.  This is used generically in the
title of certain inspectors, such as the referred-to inspector, and
specificially by various subsystems.  By default, we let the object
just print itself out..  "

        self
                deprecated: 'Implement your own domain representation of an object,
or use #asString or #printString instead.'
                on: '27 May 2016'
                in: #Pharo6.
        ^ self printString

On 8/25/17, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't have an Image to check, but I believe Object>>name
> just does "^self printString",
> so by default, in your application send #printString instead of #name.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> P.S. Perhaps this would be a good candidate for automated rewrite?
>

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> In the last days there was a discussion that
>>
>>      Object>>#name
>>

>> should no longer be used. I did not follow the discussion in detail.
>> What was decided how #name should be replaced?
>>
>> What do I need to do if I get a deprecation warning [1]?
>>

>> Thanks for the answer in advance
>>
>> Hannes
>>

>> [1]
>> The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
>> deprecated.
>> Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
>> #asString or #printString instead.
>>
>> Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

Re: Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Peter Kenny

Hannes

You are certainly not required to eliminate #name altogether; all you have to do is to ensure that any object that receives the message #name knows how to answer its own name in an appropriate way. To rephrase Ben’s second para in a more long-winded way:

  1. Run the code that generates the deprecation warning.
  2. In the warning pop-up, click on ‘Debug’.
  3. Examine the debug stack in the top pane. It is probable that the first two lines will read:

HannesClass(Object)               deprecated:on:in

HannesClass(Object)               name

               where HannesClass is the name of some class in your domain model.

  1. You now know that some code you have written is sending the message #name to an instance of HannesClass, but the class does not have such a method. The solution is to decide how an instance of that class should answer its name, and implement that as a method on the instance side of that class. If nothing else is obvious, the usual default is ^self printString.
  2. If the top line of the debug stack does not refer to a class in your model, work your way down the stack until you find a class that is yours.

Hope this helps

Peter Kenny

Just checking my presumption... is  PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn:

you own application method?   So where it sends #name, instead send #printString (or #asString).

Alternatively, #name is being sent to some domain object that doesn't implement #name, so it falls back to the super one from Object.  So implement YourDomainObject>>#name: so the one from Object is not executed.

cheers -ben

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 4:38 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, so #name should not be used at all [1]

The error message I get is

PPCommonMarkSpecTest class>>DoIt (blockVisitor is Undeclared)
The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
deprecated.
Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
#asString or #printString instead.

I wonder how I can fix this without going to much into details.

--Hannes

[1] Pharo 6.1 source code:

Object>>name
        "Answer a name for the receiver.  This is used generically in the
title of certain inspectors, such as the referred-to inspector, and
specificially by various subsystems.  By default, we let the object
just print itself out..  "

        self
                deprecated: 'Implement your own domain representation of an object,
or use #asString or #printString instead.'
                on: '27 May 2016'
                in: #Pharo6.
        ^ self printString

On 8/25/17, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have an Image to check, but I believe Object>>name
> just does "^self printString",
> so by default, in your application send #printString instead of #name.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> P.S. Perhaps this would be a good candidate for automated rewrite?
>

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> In the last days there was a discussion that
>>
>>      Object>>#name
>>

>> should no longer be used. I did not follow the discussion in detail.
>> What was decided how #name should be replaced?
>>
>> What do I need to do if I get a deprecation warning [1]?
>>

>> Thanks for the answer in advance
>>
>> Hannes
>>

>> [1]
>> The method Object>>#name called from PPCMNode>>#gtTreeViewIn: has been
>> deprecated.
>> Implement your own domain representation of an object, or use
>> #asString or #printString instead.
>>
>> Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

Re: Object>>#name deprecated in Pharo 6 -- what do I need to do?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello all

Thank you for the helpful answers.

What I updated was

    PPCMNode>>#name
    "protocol: accessing"
    name
       "hackity hack, this should not be used except for tests..."
            ^ self printString

This is the root object of the document model [1] generated by the
PetitMarkDown parser,
a common markdown parser by Jan Kurs  [2].

Now  488 out of 479 tests pass.

Regards
Hannes

[1]

PPCMNode is the base class of the document node hierarchy of a
document described by markdown

ProtoObject #()
        Object #()
                PPCMNode #()
                        PPCMDelegateNode #(#children)
                                PPCMBlockQuote #(#code #infoString)
                                PPCMContainer #()
                                PPCMDocument #()
                                PPCMEmphasize #()
                                PPCMFencedCode #(#infoString)
                                PPCMHeader #(#level #title)
                                PPCMHtmlBlock #()
                                PPCMIndentedCode #()
                                PPCMLine #()
                                PPCMList #(#type #start)
                                PPCMListItem #()
                                PPCMParagraph #()
                                PPCMStrong #()
                        PPCMHardBreak #()
                        PPCMHrule #(#rule)
                        PPCMHtml #(#text)
                        PPCMInlinedCode #(#code)
                        PPCMLink #(#label #destination #title)
                        PPCMLinkRef #(#label)
                        PPCMLinkRefDef #(#label #destination #title)
                        PPCMLinkRefDefPlaceholder #()
                        PPCMPlainLine #(#text)
                        PPCMPlainText #(#text)
                        PPCMSoftBreak #()
                        PPCMText #(#text)

[2]
Name: PetitMarkdown-JanKurs.7
Author: JanKurs
Time: 24 August 2016, 12:25:40.146088 pm
UUID: a2256c36-fc35-48ad-936d-9fd7567488e1

http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JanKurs/PetitParser/main

On 8/26/17, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hannes
>

> You are certainly not required to eliminate #name altogether; all you have
> to do is to ensure that any object that receives the message #name knows how
> to answer its own name in an appropriate way. To rephrase Ben’s second para
> in a more long-winded way:
>

> a. Run the code that generates the deprecation warning.
> b. In the warning pop-up, click on ‘Debug’.
> c. Examine the debug stack in the top pane. It is probable that the first
> two lines will read:
>
> HannesClass(Object)               deprecated:on:in
>
> HannesClass(Object)               name
>
>                where HannesClass is the name of some class in your domain
> model.
>
> d. You now know that some code you have written is sending the message #name
> to an instance of HannesClass, but the class does not have such a method.
> The solution is to decide how an instance of that class should answer its
> name, and implement that as a method on the instance side of that class. If
> nothing else is obvious, the usual default is ^self printString.
> e. If the top line of the debug stack does not refer to a class in your
> model, work your way down the stack until you find a class that is yours.
>

> Hope this helps
>

> Peter Kenny

NorbertHartl

> Am 11.09.2017 um 19:05 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello all
>
> Thank you for the helpful answers.
>
> What I updated was
>
>    PPCMNode>>#name
>    "protocol: accessing"
>    name
>            "hackity hack, this should not be used except for tests..."
>        ^ self printString
>

> This is the root object of the document model [1] generated by the
> PetitMarkDown parser,
> a common markdown parser by Jan Kurs  [2].
>
> Now  488 out of 479 tests pass.

I would call that superb quality 😀

Norbert

> Regards
> Hannes
>

> [1]
>
> PPCMNode is the base class of the document node hierarchy of a
> document described by markdown
>
> ProtoObject #()
>    Object #()
>        PPCMNode #()
>            PPCMDelegateNode #(#children)
>                PPCMBlockQuote #(#code #infoString)
>                PPCMContainer #()
>                PPCMDocument #()
>                PPCMEmphasize #()
>                PPCMFencedCode #(#infoString)
>                PPCMHeader #(#level #title)
>                PPCMHtmlBlock #()
>                PPCMIndentedCode #()
>                PPCMLine #()
>                PPCMList #(#type #start)
>                PPCMListItem #()
>                PPCMParagraph #()
>                PPCMStrong #()
>            PPCMHardBreak #()
>            PPCMHrule #(#rule)
>            PPCMHtml #(#text)
>            PPCMInlinedCode #(#code)
>            PPCMLink #(#label #destination #title)
>            PPCMLinkRef #(#label)
>            PPCMLinkRefDef #(#label #destination #title)
>            PPCMLinkRefDefPlaceholder #()
>            PPCMPlainLine #(#text)
>            PPCMPlainText #(#text)
>            PPCMSoftBreak #()
>            PPCMText #(#text)
>

> [2]
> Name: PetitMarkdown-JanKurs.7
> Author: JanKurs
> Time: 24 August 2016, 12:25:40.146088 pm
> UUID: a2256c36-fc35-48ad-936d-9fd7567488e1
>
> http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/JanKurs/PetitParser/main
>

>> On 8/26/17, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hannes
>>

>> You are certainly not required to eliminate #name altogether; all you have
>> to do is to ensure that any object that receives the message #name knows how
>> to answer its own name in an appropriate way. To rephrase Ben’s second para
>> in a more long-winded way:
>>

>> a.    Run the code that generates the deprecation warning.
>> b.    In the warning pop-up, click on ‘Debug’.
>> c.    Examine the debug stack in the top pane. It is probable that the first
>> two lines will read:
>>
>> HannesClass(Object)               deprecated:on:in
>>
>> HannesClass(Object)               name
>>
>>               where HannesClass is the name of some class in your domain
>> model.
>>
>> d.    You now know that some code you have written is sending the message #name
>> to an instance of HannesClass, but the class does not have such a method.
>> The solution is to decide how an instance of that class should answer its
>> name, and implement that as a method on the instance side of that class. If
>> nothing else is obvious, the usual default is ^self printString.
>> e.    If the top line of the debug stack does not refer to a class in your
>> model, work your way down the stack until you find a class that is yours.
>>

>> Hope this helps
>>

>> Peter Kenny

Esteban A. Maringolo
>> Am 11.09.2017 um 19:05 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

>> Now  488 out of 479 tests pass.
> I would call that superb quality 😀

It's a 10+taxes as we say :)

Esteban A. Maringolo