Object>>#name

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

Many people have hit the fact that Object implements #name, which then seems to conflict with some other class where one would really like to use name as an instance variable and thus accessor.

Turns out that it seems that Object>>#name is actually not used (anymore).

I just put a halt in it and tried a couple of tools and everything seems to work just fine.

The comment talks about Inspector use, but there is #defaultLabelForInspector for that.

It is a small thing, but it confuses everybody for no good reason,

Any comments ?

Sven

PS: it was also in the testing procotol ;-)

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Object>>#name

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
Many people have hit the fact that Object implements #name, which then seems to conflict with some other class where one would really like to use name as an instance variable and thus accessor.
Yes, I've been bitten by this a few times. When developing through the debugger, it's confusing when the thing fails silently instead of prompting to create the method.

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
Turns out that it seems that Object>>#name is actually not used (anymore).
There are lots of senders... I guess they're sending Class>>#name or another message. I  say ditch it, but wait until 3.0...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Object>>#name

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Sven. Yes, as far as I remember, Object>>name was safe to remove. Not likewise Class>>name but ok, it is less likely final users will need class side #name.
So +1 to removing instance side #name.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Many people have hit the fact that Object implements #name, which then seems to conflict with some other class where one would really like to use name as an instance variable and thus accessor.

Turns out that it seems that Object>>#name is actually not used (anymore).

I just put a halt in it and tried a couple of tools and everything seems to work just fine.

The comment talks about Inspector use, but there is #defaultLabelForInspector for that.

It is a small thing, but it confuses everybody for no good reason,

Any comments ?

Sven

PS: it was also in the testing procotol ;-)

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Object>>#name

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> Many people have hit the fact that Object implements #name, which then
>> seems to conflict with some other class where one would really like to use
>> name as an instance variable and thus accessor.
>
> Yes, I've been bitten by this a few times. When developing through the
> debugger, it's confusing when the thing fails silently instead of prompting
> to create the method.
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> Turns out that it seems that Object>>#name is actually not used (anymore).
>
> There are lots of senders... I guess they're sending Class>>#name or another
> message. I  say ditch it, but wait until 3.0…

+ 1

Open a bug entry for 3.0

Re: Object>>#name

Gary Chambers-4
+1 to removal...

Regards, Gary

>> Many people have hit the fact that Object implements #name, which then
>> seems to conflict with some other class where one would really like to
>> use
>> name as an instance variable and thus accessor.
>
> Yes, I've been bitten by this a few times. When developing through the
> debugger, it's confusing when the thing fails silently instead of
> prompting
> to create the method.
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> Turns out that it seems that Object>>#name is actually not used
>> (anymore).
>
> There are lots of senders... I guess they're sending Class>>#name or
> another
> message. I  say ditch it, but wait until 3.0...

Re: Object>>#name

EstebanLM
+1

On Jan 22, 2013, at 6:45 PM, "Gary Chambers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to removal...
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>

Re: Object>>#name

Gary Chambers-4
Indeed, is a common accessor for domain/business objects.
Have got use to having to re-implement each time myself but quicker to not
have to.

Regards, Gary

Re: Object>>#name

Stéphane Ducasse
hi gary

we will address it. :)

Stef

On Jan 22, 2013, at 3:31 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Indeed, is a common accessor for domain/business objects.
> Have got use to having to re-implement each time myself but quicker to not have to.
>
> Regards, Gary
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sven Van Caekenberghe" <[hidden email]>

Re: Object>>#name

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2