ObjectFinder

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

Yesterday I got a nice demo of ObjectFinder builds on top of OB.
It is a really good improvement over the chasing browser.
I really suggest that you get a look at it.

        http://decomp.ulb.ac.be/frdricpluquet/personalstuff/

stef

Re: ObjectFinder

Lukas Renggli
> It is a really good improvement over the chasing browser.

What is the difference to the chasing browser, other than the
underlying data model?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Stéphane Ducasse
Smooth animation (this is really important for not been lost) so you
always understand the flow since as in the
mac finder there is a smooth scrolling but fast of the new pane.

- pluggable mechanism to put extra buttons and displaying info.
For example for dictionary, compiledmethods....
Frederic showed me how to integrate the result of roel typer in
addition to fields and methods browsing and this is cool
So my gut feeling is that you should sit with frederic at esug and see
and may be use its code in place
of the chasing browsing (which I cannot use at all). Since the
objectFinder is 5 classes and using OB all the way
down it would be pity not to have a look at it.

On Jun 5, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> It is a really good improvement over the chasing browser.
>
> What is the difference to the chasing browser, other than the
> underlying data model?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Lukas Renggli
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Smooth animation (this is really important for not been lost) so you
> always understand the flow since as in the
> mac finder there is a smooth scrolling but fast of the new pane.
>
> - pluggable mechanism to put extra buttons and displaying info.
> For example for dictionary, compiledmethods....
> Frederic showed me how to integrate the result of roel typer in
> addition to fields and methods browsing and this is cool
> So my gut feeling is that you should sit with frederic at esug and see
> and may be use its code in place
> of the chasing browsing (which I cannot use at all). Since the
> objectFinder is 5 classes and using OB all the way
> down it would be pity not to have a look at it.

Sounds interesting. I just wonder how this smooth scrolling is
implemented, if it uses OB all the way down. Couldn't this be
integrated with OB-Tools, that also come with various inspectors.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Stéphane Ducasse
I guess that frederic will reply since he is reading the list and
using pharo.
But indeed this smooth movement would be really nice to have.
He even has a slow move pressing alt like on the mac :)))
Stef

> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Smooth animation (this is really important for not been lost) so you
>> always understand the flow since as in the
>> mac finder there is a smooth scrolling but fast of the new pane.
>>
>> - pluggable mechanism to put extra buttons and displaying info.
>> For example for dictionary, compiledmethods....
>> Frederic showed me how to integrate the result of roel typer in
>> addition to fields and methods browsing and this is cool
>> So my gut feeling is that you should sit with frederic at esug and
>> see
>> and may be use its code in place
>> of the chasing browsing (which I cannot use at all). Since the
>> objectFinder is 5 classes and using OB all the way
>> down it would be pity not to have a look at it.
>
> Sounds interesting. I just wonder how this smooth scrolling is
> implemented, if it uses OB all the way down. Couldn't this be
> integrated with OB-Tools, that also come with various inspectors.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Frederic Pluquet-3
Hello,

ObjectFinder needs some refactoring and the web site is not up to date. I hope update everything this evening.

For the slow move is the shift key :) (like on mac :-D)

Fréd
----
Frédéric Pluquet
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Assistant
http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess that frederic will reply since he is reading the list and
using pharo.
But indeed this smooth movement would be really nice to have.
He even has a slow move pressing alt like on the mac :)))
Stef

> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Smooth animation (this is really important for not been lost) so you
>> always understand the flow since as in the
>> mac finder there is a smooth scrolling but fast of the new pane.
>>
>> - pluggable mechanism to put extra buttons and displaying info.
>> For example for dictionary, compiledmethods....
>> Frederic showed me how to integrate the result of roel typer in
>> addition to fields and methods browsing and this is cool
>> So my gut feeling is that you should sit with frederic at esug and
>> see
>> and may be use its code in place
>> of the chasing browsing (which I cannot use at all). Since the
>> objectFinder is 5 classes and using OB all the way
>> down it would be pity not to have a look at it.
>
> Sounds interesting. I just wonder how this smooth scrolling is
> implemented, if it uses OB all the way down. Couldn't this be
> integrated with OB-Tools, that also come with various inspectors.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Frederic Pluquet-3
Hello,

Here a list of interesting features of ObjectFinder:

- interesting columns are always entirely displayed: if you have the last column partially hidden (because you scrolled on the left for some reason), when this column is updated for showing new items, it is completely shown. In the traditional OB, the update is performed and the last column stills partially hidden.

- The fact to select an item of a previous column does not imply the deletion of the empty columns at its right (causing move of the current selected column, to fit the last column for the right side). In Object Finder, the right empty columns are removed only when a new right column is created AND a left scroll is need. The user is so not perturbed by the move of the current selected column.

- the calculus of the senders of a compiled method are collected in a forked process when the compiled method is inspected (and not when the user asks the senders). The senders are so ready to be displaying when the user asks him (Inspect Object>>#= for example).

- when you inspect implementors of a compiled method, you see the classes displayed according the hierarchy (with indentation for subclasses) (Inspect Object>>#= for example).

- for a compiled method, the button "M" is show the selectors used in the compiled method. When you select one, the selection of the selector in the code of method is shown in the description while the right panel shows the classes implementing this selector (with hierarchy feature obviously :)). A button "S" permits to show the methods sending this selector.

I don't know if my explanations are clear... Give me feedback if necessary :)

Fréd
----

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

ObjectFinder needs some refactoring and the web site is not up to date. I hope update everything this evening.

For the slow move is the shift key :) (like on mac :-D)

Fréd
----
Frédéric Pluquet
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Assistant
http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess that frederic will reply since he is reading the list and
using pharo.
But indeed this smooth movement would be really nice to have.
He even has a slow move pressing alt like on the mac :)))
Stef

> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Smooth animation (this is really important for not been lost) so you
>> always understand the flow since as in the
>> mac finder there is a smooth scrolling but fast of the new pane.
>>
>> - pluggable mechanism to put extra buttons and displaying info.
>> For example for dictionary, compiledmethods....
>> Frederic showed me how to integrate the result of roel typer in
>> addition to fields and methods browsing and this is cool
>> So my gut feeling is that you should sit with frederic at esug and
>> see
>> and may be use its code in place
>> of the chasing browsing (which I cannot use at all). Since the
>> objectFinder is 5 classes and using OB all the way
>> down it would be pity not to have a look at it.
>
> Sounds interesting. I just wonder how this smooth scrolling is
> implemented, if it uses OB all the way down. Couldn't this be
> integrated with OB-Tools, that also come with various inspectors.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Lukas Renggli
Do you have a one-click image to try it out? ;-)

2009/6/5 Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
> Here a list of interesting features of ObjectFinder:
> - interesting columns are always entirely displayed: if you have the last
> column partially hidden (because you scrolled on the left for some reason),
> when this column is updated for showing new items, it is completely shown.
> In the traditional OB, the update is performed and the last column stills
> partially hidden.
> - The fact to select an item of a previous column does not imply the
> deletion of the empty columns at its right (causing move of the current
> selected column, to fit the last column for the right side). In Object
> Finder, the right empty columns are removed only when a new right column is
> created AND a left scroll is need. The user is so not perturbed by the move
> of the current selected column.
>
> - the calculus of the senders of a compiled method are collected in a forked
> process when the compiled method is inspected (and not when the user asks
> the senders). The senders are so ready to be displaying when the user asks
> him (Inspect Object>>#= for example).
> - when you inspect implementors of a compiled method, you see the classes
> displayed according the hierarchy (with indentation for subclasses) (Inspect
> Object>>#= for example).
> - for a compiled method, the button "M" is show the selectors used in the
> compiled method. When you select one, the selection of the selector in the
> code of method is shown in the description while the right panel shows the
> classes implementing this selector (with hierarchy feature obviously :)). A
> button "S" permits to show the methods sending this selector.
> I don't know if my explanations are clear... Give me feedback if necessary
> :)
> Fréd
> ----
> Frédéric Pluquet
> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
> Assistant
> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> ObjectFinder needs some refactoring and the web site is not up to date. I
>> hope update everything this evening.
>> For the slow move is the shift key :) (like on mac :-D)
>> Fréd
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess that frederic will reply since he is reading the list and
>>> using pharo.
>>> But indeed this smooth movement would be really nice to have.
>>> He even has a slow move pressing alt like on the mac :)))
>>> Stef

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Frederic Pluquet-3
No one click image but it works (normally :)) in any Pharo/Squeak image. It is available on SqueakSource: http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectFinder

Fréd

----

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you have a one-click image to try it out? ;-)

2009/6/5 Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]>:
> Hello,
> Here a list of interesting features of ObjectFinder:
> - interesting columns are always entirely displayed: if you have the last
> column partially hidden (because you scrolled on the left for some reason),
> when this column is updated for showing new items, it is completely shown.
> In the traditional OB, the update is performed and the last column stills
> partially hidden.
> - The fact to select an item of a previous column does not imply the
> deletion of the empty columns at its right (causing move of the current
> selected column, to fit the last column for the right side). In Object
> Finder, the right empty columns are removed only when a new right column is
> created AND a left scroll is need. The user is so not perturbed by the move
> of the current selected column.
>
> - the calculus of the senders of a compiled method are collected in a forked
> process when the compiled method is inspected (and not when the user asks
> the senders). The senders are so ready to be displaying when the user asks
> him (Inspect Object>>#= for example).
> - when you inspect implementors of a compiled method, you see the classes
> displayed according the hierarchy (with indentation for subclasses) (Inspect
> Object>>#= for example).
> - for a compiled method, the button "M" is show the selectors used in the
> compiled method. When you select one, the selection of the selector in the
> code of method is shown in the description while the right panel shows the
> classes implementing this selector (with hierarchy feature obviously :)). A
> button "S" permits to show the methods sending this selector.
> I don't know if my explanations are clear... Give me feedback if necessary
> :)
> Fréd
> ----
> Frédéric Pluquet
> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
> Assistant
> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> ObjectFinder needs some refactoring and the web site is not up to date. I
>> hope update everything this evening.
>> For the slow move is the shift key :) (like on mac :-D)
>> Fréd
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess that frederic will reply since he is reading the list and
>>> using pharo.
>>> But indeed this smooth movement would be really nice to have.
>>> He even has a slow move pressing alt like on the mac :)))
>>> Stef

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Mariano Martinez Peck
Wow!! I just downloaded and play with it for a while and seems very very useful. And fast enough too.

I hope this to be in pharo core :)

Nice work!

Mariano

> [...]

> Assistant
> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> ObjectFinder needs some refactoring and the web site is not up to date. I
>> hope update everything this evening.
>> For the slow move is the shift key :) (like on mac :-D)
>> Fréd
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess that frederic will reply since he is reading the list and
>>> using pharo.
>>> But indeed this smooth movement would be really nice to have.
>>> He even has a slow move pressing alt like on the mac :)))

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Adrian Lienhard

On Jun 5, 2009, at 23:26 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Wow!! I just downloaded and play with it for a while and seems very
> very
> useful. And fast enough too.
>
> I hope this to be in pharo core :)

We cannot add this to the core since it depends on OmniBrowser.

Adrian

> Nice work!
>
> Mariano
>
> 2009/6/5 Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]>
>
>> No one click image but it works (normally :)) in any Pharo/Squeak
>> image. It
>> is available on SqueakSource: http://www.squeaksource.com/
>> ObjectFinder
>> Fréd
>>
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have a one-click image to try it out? ;-)

>>> last
>>> reason),
>>> shown.
>>> stills
>>> is
>>> move

>>> forked
>>> asks
>>> asks
>>> classes
>>> subclasses) (Inspect
>>> the
>>> the
>>> the
>>> :)). A
>>> necessary

>>> you

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 5, 2009, at 23:26 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Wow!! I just downloaded and play with it for a while and seems very
> very
> useful. And fast enough too.
>
> I hope this to be in pharo core :)

We cannot add this to the core since it depends on OmniBrowser.

Sorry. I ALWAYS forget about this. Ok. To Pharo-dev then haha :)

Adrian

> Nice work!
>
> Mariano
>
> 2009/6/5 Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]>
>
>> No one click image but it works (normally :)) in any Pharo/Squeak
>> image. It
>> is available on SqueakSource: http://www.squeaksource.com/
>> ObjectFinder
>> Fréd
>>
>> ----
>> Frédéric Pluquet
>> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
>> Assistant
>> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have a one-click image to try it out? ;-)

>>> last
>>> reason),
>>> shown.
>>> stills
>>> is
>>> move

>>> forked
>>> asks
>>> asks
>>> classes
>>> subclasses) (Inspect
>>> the
>>> the
>>> the
>>> :)). A
>>> necessary

>>> you

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ObjectFinder

Great that you like it.
Probably should be included in OB who is in charge of that?

Stef

On Jun 5, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
> shows the
> > classes implementing this selector (with hierarchy feature
> obviously :)). A
> > button "S" permits to show the methods sending this selector.
> > I don't know if my explanations are clear... Give me feedback if
> necessary
> > :)
> > Fréd
> > ----
> > Frédéric Pluquet
> > Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
> > Assistant
> > http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Frederic Pluquet
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >> ObjectFinder needs some refactoring and the web site is not up to
> date. I
> >> hope update everything this evening.
> >> For the slow move is the shift key :) (like on mac :-D)

Re: ObjectFinder

Simon Denier-3

On 5 juin 09, at 20:22, Frederic Pluquet wrote:

[...]

Not at first look but when you play with the finder, it becomes clear :)
Great work, very neat tool.

One minor improvment:
Let's say I have two panes A and B. In pane A, I have a list of CompiledMethod and I select Object#=
Then the code for Object#= is displayed in the bottom pane, and pane B is filled with field values of the CompiledMethod instance.

Then if I play with the buttons in pane B to get the senders/implementors/messages for Object#=, the bottom pane is cleared.
I feel like it should still displayed the current selection (in pane A) until I make another selection.

Fréd
----
Frédéric Pluquet
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Assistant
http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

ObjectFinder needs some refactoring and the web site is not up to date. I hope update everything this evening.

For the slow move is the shift key :) (like on mac :-D)

Fréd
----
Frédéric Pluquet
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Assistant
http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess that frederic will reply since he is reading the list and
using pharo.
But indeed this smooth movement would be really nice to have.
He even has a slow move pressing alt like on the mac :)))
Stef

> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Smooth animation (this is really important for not been lost) so you
>> always understand the flow since as in the
>> mac finder there is a smooth scrolling but fast of the new pane.
>>
>> - pluggable mechanism to put extra buttons and displaying info.
>> For example for dictionary, compiledmethods....
>> Frederic showed me how to integrate the result of roel typer in
>> addition to fields and methods browsing and this is cool
>> So my gut feeling is that you should sit with frederic at esug and
>> see
>> and may be use its code in place
>> of the chasing browsing (which I cannot use at all). Since the
>> objectFinder is 5 classes and using OB all the way
>> down it would be pity not to have a look at it.
>
> Sounds interesting. I just wonder how this smooth scrolling is
> implemented, if it uses OB all the way down. Couldn't this be
> integrated with OB-Tools, that also come with various inspectors.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

 Simon

Re: ObjectFinder

Frederic Pluquet-3

Not at first look but when you play with the finder, it becomes clear :)
Great work, very neat tool.
Thank you :)

One minor improvment:
Let's say I have two panes A and B. In pane A, I have a list of CompiledMethod and I select Object#=
Then the code for Object#= is displayed in the bottom pane, and pane B is filled with field values of the CompiledMethod instance.

Then if I play with the buttons in pane B to get the senders/implementors/messages for Object#=, the bottom pane is cleared.
I feel like it should still displayed the current selection (in pane A) until I make another selection.

Good idea. I will try to implement it.

Fréd

Re: ObjectFinder

Damien Cassou
2009/6/5 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> > I hope this to be in pharo core :)
>>
>> We cannot add this to the core since it depends on OmniBrowser.
>
> Sorry. I ALWAYS forget about this. Ok. To Pharo-dev then haha :)

Impossible because there is no more Pharo-dev :-D.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry