ObjectSoft and VisualKit

McNeil, Andrew

Enquiring on behalf of a customer –

Does anyone know the status/fate of VisualKit from ObjectSoft ?

Anyone else still using it ?

Anyone around that was involved in creating it ?

I found the following while poking around –

ObjectSoft Corp. was acquired by Nanergy Inc. in a reverse merger transaction on June 17, 2005. ObjectSoft Corporation provides information and transactional services through public access kiosks. The company's product The FastTake kiosk, allows the general public to search and review movie titles, sample movie trailers, and purchase other goods and services from the kiosk located in high-traffic retail locations. ObjectSoft was founded in 1990 and is based in Hackensack, New Jersey

This web site is still up :

http://www.objsoft.com/products/vk/index.html

But I don’t know whether they are still in anything resembling the same business.

Regards

Andrew McNeil

Cincom Systems Of Australia

Re: ObjectSoft and VisualKit

thomas.hawker

Andrew,

AFAIK, VisualKit/ObjectSoft is basically defunct.  One of my colleagues worked for several months on it but was not able to find anyone who supports it or has a more recent version.  Our primary enterprise application client is based in VW5i and uses VisualKit.  Migrating this to VW7.6+ has been a major hassle.  One of my goals is to remove all references to it, but I haven’t yet come up with a suitable automated replacement plus corrections in all of the tailored application model behavior.

Cheers!

Tom Hawker

Senior Framework Developer

+1 (408) 274-4128

The Environment:

We take it personally

Office

+1 (408) 576-6591

Mobile

+1 (408) 835-3643

[...]

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Email from OOCL is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If it is not
intended for you, please delete it immediately unread.  The internet
cannot guarantee that this communication is free of viruses, interception
or interference and anyone who communicates with us by email is taken
to accept the risks in doing so.  Without limitation, OOCL and its affiliates
accept no liability whatsoever and howsoever arising in connection with
the use of this email.  Under no circumstances shall this email constitute
a binding agreement to carry or for provision of carriage services by OOCL,
which is subject to the availability of carrier's equipment and vessels and
the terms and conditions of OOCL's standard bill of lading which is also
available at http://www.oocl.com.

Re: ObjectSoft and VisualKit

McNeil, Andrew

Tom

Thanks for that ( I think J )

Any particular widgets that have proved more  problematic than others ?

Were there specific generic problems ?

Do you know where that leaves the licence status of VisualKit  if ObjectSoft is essentially defunct ?

Regards

Andrew

Re: ObjectSoft and VisualKit

thomas.hawker

Andrew,

I can’t help you very much.

  1. We had to yank the Win95 L&F stuff, except for the extended widgets.  It tended to break things.
  2. Data set views have been extensively upgraded in VW7.  I’m not sure there was an OS/VK version, but we had our own which underwent major overhaul.
  3. I can’t speak to the legal issues.  I suspect VK now is a “do it yourself” phenomenon – that is, change it as you will, but you should be careful about claims to own it.

Cheers!

Tom Hawker

Senior Framework Developer

+1 (408) 274-4128

The Environment:

We take it personally

Office

+1 (408) 576-6591

Mobile

+1 (408) 835-3643

Re: ObjectSoft and VisualKit

Terry Raymond

I ported software from VK in 2001 to the Aragon widgets,

the dataset and treeview.

The Aragon dataset is much better than the VW dataset.

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.