Objects mix-up with 6.1.5/Linux

Thierry Thelliez
Hello,

I know we should upgrade this application to a more recent version…

We just encountered a very strange situation where two objects got mixed up with random ones.  One was an internal Gemstone dictionary collision chain index that became an empty array instead of an Integer, the other one was a DateTime that ended up being an instance of a Stream.   In other words, that was not an application bug, but it looked like the oops pointed to the wrong objects and/or page.

I have never seen that before. We fixed/replaced these objects and the database seems fine.  But is there a way that we could check for database consistency?

The only recent change we made was to upgrade our Virtualization environment to the most recent version of Proxmox.

Has anyone experienced such mix-up?

Thanks,
Thierry Thelliez

Re: Objects mix-up with 6.1.5/Linux

Dag Willy Findal-Fossmo
Hi Thierry,

On 07/12/2012 06:15 AM, Thierry Thelliez wrote:
Hello,

I know we should upgrade this application to a more recent version…

We just encountered a very strange situation where two objects got mixed up with random ones.  One was an internal Gemstone dictionary collision chain index that became an empty array instead of an Integer, the other one was a DateTime that ended up being an instance of a Stream.   In other words, that was not an application bug, but it looked like the oops pointed to the wrong objects and/or page.

I have never seen that before. We fixed/replaced these objects and the database seems fine.  But is there a way that we could check for database consistency?
I'd probably do a page audit followed by an object audit. You can read about those in the System Admin Guide.

The only recent change we made was to upgrade our Virtualization environment to the most recent version of Proxmox.

Has anyone experienced such mix-up?

We've probably experienced the same kind of problems, but it's quite a long time ago, so I can't remember the details, but I think there was a restore from backup and logs involved.

Regards,
Dag Findal-Fossmo
www.computas.no