"Objects pointing to this value" and "Explore pointers"

"Objects pointing to this value" and "Explore pointers"

Davide Varvello
Hello there,
 I'm puzzled about those 2 items in inspector's menu and I've a couple of questions:
1) What's the difference between them? It seems to me the meaning is quite similar.
2) Every time I click on "Objects pointing to this value" nothing happens, is it right? I'm on Pharo 1.4
3) Is there any documentation or example that explains how to use them? If not can it be added on Pharo book?

Cheers
 Davide

Re: "Objects pointing to this value" and "Explore pointers"

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Davide Varvello <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello there,
 I'm puzzled about those 2 items in inspector's menu and I've a couple of
questions:
1) What's the difference between them? It seems to me the meaning is quite
similar.
2) Every time I click on "Objects pointing to this value" nothing happens,
is it right? I'm on Pharo 1.4

Hi. I can confirm 2). It has always happened that to me. It has never worked properly.
And indeed, it looks the same as 1). I have no idea which should be the differences.

3) Is there any documentation or example that explains how to use them? If
not can it be added on Pharo book?

Sure. If you need an account in the book let me know.
There is actually now magic. You just explore your object and then click on "explore pointers" and that opens a explorer with the objects poiting to that one.
I explained  a bit in: http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/pharo-tips-and-tricks/
under title "Why GC is not collecting a particular object?"

Cheers

Cheers
 Davide

Mariano

Good, so I've just open an issue http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6151&thanks=6151&ts=1340612685
3) Is there any documentation or example that explains how to use them? If
not can it be added on Pharo book?

Sure. If you need an account in the book let me know.

yes, when I discover how to solve the issue :-)

There is actually now magic.

Sorry, I can't understand.

You just explore your object and then click on "explore pointers" and that opens a explorer with the objects poiting to that one.
I explained  a bit in: http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/pharo-tips-and-tricks/
under title "Why GC is not collecting a particular object?"

I see, but there is too few information. Actually I'm diving into Seaside objects that are not collected and I'm lost in pointers of pointers...
Cheers
 Davide