Off-the-shelf authentication

Dave
Hi Folks,

How can you manage authentication?
Is there something off-the-shelf I can use that authenticates, stores and retrieves users?

TIA
Dave

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Dave.

Two packages come to mind.  QCMagritte and TFLogin.

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~DiegoLont/QCMagritte

 I'm not sure whether TFLogin works in Seaside 3.2 or not.  There is an updated package here:
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~sergio101/TF-Login

And the original here:

http://www.squeaksource.com/TFLogin.html

If it doesn't work I'd guess its not to hard to resurrect.

I've never used either and have just through time rolled my own system that does less than those two.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Dave wrote

TIA
Dave

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

Dave
Thanks Paul,
I'll take a look at both.
Dave

Paul DeBruicker wrote

TIA
Dave

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

Andy Burnett
I was really interested in this question. I was hoping that there would be a solid - built in - user authentication system. Given that this isn't a core feature of Seaside, I am wondering whether people tend to handle this completely outside Seaside e.g handing off to a different front end system?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

sergio_101
This is the one thing that has kept me from starting new projects in seaside.. rails has cancan and devise available.. and it works perfectly every time / all the time.. i could never justify spending time writing authorization/authentication to do a project in seaside..

I reworked TF-Login to work with the latest version of everything awhile back, but it’s still not as nice as other solutions.

I really should start a project that provides the same types of services as cancan and devise at some point, and just get it done..

On December 2, 2016 at 1:13:44 PM, Andy Burnett ([hidden email]) wrote:

I was really interested in this question. I was hoping that there would be a solid - built in - user authentication system. Given that this isn't a core feature of Seaside, I am wondering whether people tend to handle this completely outside Seaside e.g handing off to a different front end system?
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Public Key: http://bit.ly/29z9fG0
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

Pierce Ng-3
On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 01:27:15PM -0500, sergio ruiz wrote:
> This is the one thing that has kept me from starting new projects in
> seaside.. rails has cancan and devise available.. and it works perfectly
> every time / all the time..

This may be because Rails has standardized ActiveRecord ORM*, whereas Smalltalk
/ Pharo have many persistence possibilities. I myself use SQLite with Pharo a
lot, while others may prefer NoSQL or pure Smalltalk.

* All I know about Rails I got from browsing books in the library.

> I really should start a project that provides the same types of services as
> cancan and devise at some point, and just get it done..

Maybe web microservices?

Pierce

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 01:12:01PM -0300, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
> Maybe you can have a look to the ApplicationSecurity package:

Hi Hernán,

I loaded this into my Pharo 5 image. The system browser throws an 'MNU:
receiver of "keywords" is nil' error when I click on an apiXXX method in the
system browser.

Pierce

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

hernanmd
Hi Pierce,

The #api... methods contains an apicall: pragma and apparently the MNU is related with Rubric. I couldn't also close opened debuggers anymore so maybe it was reported as a Pharo 5 bug.

I couldn't even browse through the inspector (both GT and the older one) so this is a horrible bug.
You may try to post the issue in pharo-dev, or stay away from clicking such api methods.

Hernán

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 01:12:01PM -0300, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
> Maybe you can have a look to the ApplicationSecurity package:

Hi Hernán,

I loaded this into my Pharo 5 image. The system browser throws an 'MNU:
receiver of "keywords" is nil' error when I click on an apiXXX method in the
system browser.

Pierce

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

Dave
Thanks Hernán
Dave

hernanmd wrote
Hi Dave,

Maybe you can have a look to the ApplicationSecurity package:

http://80738163270632.blogspot.com.ar/2014/03/application-security-presentation.html
http://80738163270632.blogspot.com.ar/2014/10/application-security-2-checkpoint.html
http://80738163270632.blogspot.com.ar/2015/02/application-security-3-setting-your.html

Cheers,

Hernán

> Hi Folks,
>
> How can you manage authentication?
> Is there something off-the-shelf I can use that authenticates, stores and
> retrieves users?
>

> TIA
> Dave

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 02/12/16 19:13, Andy Burnett wrote:
> I was really interested in this question. I was hoping that there would
> be a solid - built in - user authentication system. Given that this
> isn't a core feature of Seaside, I am wondering whether people tend to
> handle this completely outside Seaside e.g handing off to a different
> front end system?

QCMagritte has a pretty comprehensive authentication and access control
system built in.

Stephan

Re: Off-the-shelf authentication

Andy Burnett

On 02/12/16 19:13, Andy Burnett wrote:
I was really interested in this question. I was hoping that there would
be a solid - built in - user authentication system. Given that this
isn't a core feature of Seaside, I am wondering whether people tend to
handle this completely outside Seaside e.g handing off to a different
front end system?

QCMagritte has a pretty comprehensive authentication and access control
system built in.

Thanks that. I didn't know anything about that package. I will go and have anlook

Cheers
Andy

understanding callbacks

JupiterJones
Hi Seasiders,

I’m attempting to write a JQWidget and I’m trying to get a handle on how callbacks work - not how to use them with anchors or ajax, but understanding the underlying implementation.

Is there any documentation on seaside internals, or specifically the implementation of callbacks?

Cheers,

Jupiter