[Off topic] Re: FYI about Pharo MOOC

1 message Options

[Off topic] Re: FYI about Pharo MOOC

Ben Coman

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Probably is a English native speaker.

Next they'll be asking to covert the example from kilometres to miles ;)
cheers -ben

It really amuse me the amount of complain about this. Is something like, please don't show me anything other cultures, even if I just need to turn on captions and read(!), like most of us did to learn English by ourselves.

Its the downside of being a native english speaker.  There is less need to learn a second language. Thus we go crazy earlier while all you non-native english speakers continue to take over the world...

cheers -ben

Whenever I have the opportunity, I see movies in their native language and just add subtitles, to lost less in translation. Yes, English is the third most spread language and is good for intercultural communication, because is the most spread *second* language, but sadly, most English native speaker don't even bother about experience the minimum of other language and cultures, beyond the "tourist package" and even hear another language seems too much effort. Fortunately there is a minority of native English speakers that thinks different.

Thanks for the voice translation. It improves a course that was already good and totally doable with subtitles.

Keep the good work. Cheers,

Offray

On 10/10/17 08:05, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
The MOOC is completely dubbed in English this year, so you don't need subtitles.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)