[Offtopic] Self 4.4 released

Russell Allen
Dear all,

Forgive the off-topic email :)

I would like to announce the release of version 4.4 of the Self environment.

Self is a prototype-based dynamic object-oriented programming language, environment, and virtual machine centred around the principles of simplicity, uniformity, concreteness, and liveness.

Self includes a programming language, a collection of objects defined in the Self language, and a programming environment built in Self for writing Self programs. The language and environment attempt to present objects to the programmer and user in as direct and physical a way as possible. The system uses the prototype-based style of object construction.

Self is the canonical prototype based language within the Smalltalk family.  It is open source under a BSD-like licence and includes a fast VM and a development environment built on the original Morphic GUI that Squeak's Morphic is a descendent of.

Changes in release 4.4 include:
- an improved Quartz based backend for the MacOS X version and
- a working port of Self to Linux (x86);
- various bug fixes and general improvements.

You can download Self from the website at http://selflanguage.org/ in binary form and all sources are available either by running Self or at http://github.com/russellallen/self/

Documentation includes the Self Handbook at http://docs.selflanguage.org and a large number of published papers on Self at http://selflanguage.org/documentation/published/

Yours selfishly,

Russell

Re: [Offtopic] Self 4.4 released

K K Subbu
On Friday 16 Jul 2010 8:39:23 am Russell Allen wrote:
> Forgive the off-topic email :)
>
> I would like to announce the release of version 4.4 of the Self
> environment.
Thank you for announcing it. I could download it and get it running in a few
minutes. Can't get any simpler ;-).

BTW, I didn't run the INSTALL on Linux but simply unzipped the files and ran
"Self-4.4/Self -s Clean-4.4.snap". No root permissions needed. Did I miss
something? Are there hard-coded paths in the VM?

Thanks and Regards .. Subbu

Re: [Offtopic] Self 4.4 released

Russell Allen
Hi Subbu,

No you didn't miss anything - the binary will run happily anywhere.

INSTALL is just a helper script to put the vm in your path so that you can then directly run snapshots.

If you look at a snapshot in a text editor you will see that it starts with a #! string. If you have the Self vm on your path and chmod Clean-4.4.snap to make it executable you can then run the snapshot directly rather than having to do "Self -s snapshotname".

Cheers, Russell

On 16/07/2010, at 2:25 PM, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Friday 16 Jul 2010 8:39:23 am Russell Allen wrote:
>> Forgive the off-topic email :)
>>
>> I would like to announce the release of version 4.4 of the Self
>> environment.
> Thank you for announcing it. I could download it and get it running in a few
> minutes. Can't get any simpler ;-).
>
> BTW, I didn't run the INSTALL on Linux but simply unzipped the files and ran
> "Self-4.4/Self -s Clean-4.4.snap". No root permissions needed. Did I miss
> something? Are there hard-coded paths in the VM?
>
> Thanks and Regards .. Subbu

Re: [Offtopic] Self 4.4 released

Juan Vuletich-4
Russell Allen wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Forgive the off-topic email :)
>
> I would like to announce the release of version 4.4 of the Self environment.
>
> Self is a prototype-based dynamic object-oriented programming language, environment, and virtual machine centred around the principles of simplicity, uniformity, concreteness, and liveness.
>
> Self includes a programming language, a collection of objects defined in the Self language, and a programming environment built in Self for writing Self programs. The language and environment attempt to present objects to the programmer and user in as direct and physical a way as possible. The system uses the prototype-based style of object construction.
>
> Self is the canonical prototype based language within the Smalltalk family.  It is open source under a BSD-like licence and includes a fast VM and a development environment built on the original Morphic GUI that Squeak's Morphic is a descendent of.
>
> Changes in release 4.4 include:
> - an improved Quartz based backend for the MacOS X version and
> - a working port of Self to Linux (x86);
> - various bug fixes and general improvements.
>
> You can download Self from the website at http://selflanguage.org/ in binary form and all sources are available either by running Self or at http://github.com/russellallen/self/
>
> Documentation includes the Self Handbook at http://docs.selflanguage.org and a large number of published papers on Self at http://selflanguage.org/documentation/published/

> Yours selfishly,
>
> Russell

Hi Russel,

Great! It is wonderful to know that Self is alive.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich