Oh, great.. SqS is down

Igor Stasenko
so i can do home... (grrrrrrr)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 3, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> so i can do home... (grrrrrrr)

I will check.

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 3, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> so i can do home... (grrrrrrr)

up again. I will give you the needed info to restart it yourself tomorrow.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> so i can do home... (grrrrrrr)
>>
> up again. I will give you the needed info to restart it yourself tomorrow.

Wouldn't it be better to create a cron job which checks it every minute
and restarts it if necessary?

Levente

On Feb 3, 2011, at 6:30 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> On Feb 3, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>>> so i can do home... (grrrrrrr)
>>>
>> up again. I will give you the needed info to restart it yourself tomorrow.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to create a cron job which checks it every minute and restarts it if necessary?

Yes!

Another thing would be to just restart SqueakSource once per week.
It sounds like a hack, but calling it "rejuvenation" makes it sound better :-)

I suggested both in the past, but there was a reason why both where not done.
But I don't remember...

         Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Tudor Girba
Hi,

It looks like there was a problem: all commits I published over the past couple of days in moose and glamour are now missing from the repository. I did not check other one projects yet. Could there have been a mistake when restarting or are these lost?

Cheers,
Doru

On 3 Feb 2011, at 19:04, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2011, at 6:30 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> up again. I will give you the needed info to restart it yourself tomorrow.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to create a cron job which checks it every minute and restarts it if necessary?
>>

> Yes!
>
> Another thing would be to just restart SqueakSource once per week.
> It sounds like a hack, but calling it "rejuvenation" makes it sound better :-)
>
> I suggested both in the past, but there was a reason why both where not done.
> But I don't remember...
>
>         Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

www.tudorgirba.com

"What we can governs what we wish."

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 3, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like there was a problem: all commits I published over the past couple of days in moose and glamour are now missing from the repository. I did not check other one projects yet. Could there have been a mistake when restarting or are these lost?

No idea... for sure *not* the files, they are written to disk and never deleted.

Hmm. So maybe I did something wrong?

Or there is a way to re-load missing files from disk?

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 3 Feb 2011, at 19:04, Marcus Denker wrote:

>>> Wouldn't it be better to create a cron job which checks it every minute and restarts it if necessary?
>>>

>> Yes!
>>
>> Another thing would be to just restart SqueakSource once per week.
>> It sounds like a hack, but calling it "rejuvenation" makes it sound better :-)
>>
>> I suggested both in the past, but there was a reason why both where not done.
>> But I don't remember...
>>
>>        Marcus
>>
>> --
>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What we can governs what we wish."

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 3, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like there was a problem: all commits I published over the past couple of days in moose and glamour are now missing from the repository. I did not check other one projects yet. Could there have been a mistake when restarting or are these lost?

I imported all lost versions... can you check?

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Tudor Girba
Thanks for the work, Marcus. It works fine now.

Cheers,
Doru

On 3 Feb 2011, at 20:01, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like there was a problem: all commits I published over the past couple of days in moose and glamour are now missing from the repository. I did not check other one projects yet. Could there have been a mistake when restarting or are these lost?
>>
> No idea... for sure *not* the files, they are written to disk and never deleted.
>
> Hmm. So maybe I did something wrong?
>
> Or there is a way to re-load missing files from disk?
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Yes!
>>>
>>> Another thing would be to just restart SqueakSource once per week.
>>> It sounds like a hack, but calling it "rejuvenation" makes it sound better :-)
>>>
>>> I suggested both in the past, but there was a reason why both where not done.
>>> But I don't remember...
>>>
>>>       Marcus
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "What we can governs what we wish."
>>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Carla F. Griggio
I've just recieved a mail informing that there was a commit in one of my projects :P That commit was done last week (24/01).

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 3, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like there was a problem: all commits I published over the past couple of days in moose and glamour are now missing from the repository. I did not check other one projects yet. Could there have been a mistake when restarting or are these lost?

I imported all lost versions... can you check?

       Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Andre Hora
Hello Marcus,

A project that I created this week in SqS is missing from the repository too. Moreover, a project that I deleted in the begin of the week in now back to my account...

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've just recieved a mail informing that there was a commit in one of my projects :P That commit was done last week (24/01).

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 3, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like there was a problem: all commits I published over the past couple of days in moose and glamour are now missing from the repository. I did not check other one projects yet. Could there have been a mistake when restarting or are these lost?

I imported all lost versions... can you check?

       Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Andre Hora

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 3, 2011, at 8:38 PM, Andre Hora wrote:

Hello Marcus,

A project that I created this week in SqS is missing from the repository too. Moreover, a project that I deleted in the begin of the week in now back to my account...

What a shit.

I don't know what to do. Now I even managed to close the workspace window in that SqueakSource image (via VNC, very slow... shit happens).
So I first will restore that.

Then I will see. But I fear that the image did not get saved... (I *hate* image based persitency for servers... it just stops to save and nobody tells you,
so there is no way to react).

We need to replace squeaksource soon, this is really sucking too much energy like that.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've just recieved a mail informing that there was a commit in one of my projects :P That commit was done last week (24/01).

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 3, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like there was a problem: all commits I published over the past couple of days in moose and glamour are now missing from the repository. I did not check other one projects yet. Could there have been a mistake when restarting or are these lost?

I imported all lost versions... can you check?

       Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

--
Andre Hora

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 3, 2011, at 8:38 PM, Andre Hora wrote:

Hello Marcus,

A project that I created this week in SqS is missing from the repository too. Moreover, a project that I deleted in the begin of the week in now back to my account...

I fear for this data we can do nothing... (the meta data: account, members...)

But I can get you the mcz files. What is the name of the project?

Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Andre Hora

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 3, 2011, at 8:26 PM, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

I've just recieved a mail informing that there was a commit in one of my projects :P That commit was done last week (24/01).

The image was last saved the 23rd. And now.

The nice thing about rejunvenation (killing and restarting once a week) is that even the image save process would be restarted and therefore
not just stop randomly after some weeks.

Marcus

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 3, 2011, at 7:57 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like there was a problem: all commits I published over the past couple of days in moose and glamour are now missing from the repository. I did not check other one projects yet. Could there have been a mistake when restarting or are these lost?

I imported all lost versions... can you check?

       Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

+1

> We need to replace squeaksource soon, this is really sucking too much energy like that.

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Geert Claes
Administrator
Any news/update on the project ESUG is funding to replace sqs?

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Stéphane Ducasse
the company of Nicolas petton objectfusion started and we got some mock ups.

Stef

On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:48 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Any news/update on the project ESUG is funding to replace sqs?

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

the idea is that once they get something running they will ask the community for feedback but not at the beginning to avoid noise.

Stef

On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:48 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Any news/update on the project ESUG is funding to replace sqs?

Re: Oh, great.. SqS is down

Fabrizio Perin-3
Hi all,
just remember that if SqS is not responding it doesn't mean necessarily that the image crashes. It can also be that the machine is busy (remember that is an old machine) or the image is computing (remember that SqS has not been design to host hundreds projects and users) so it can be low responsive but not dead. In that case it is better to try some maintenance instead  just kill the machine to avoid problems like the one from Tudor.

Cheers,

Fabrizio

It already happen that SqS was "down" for half an hour and than everything was fine without doing anything.