Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

jrick
While Pharo5 works in Sierra if I place it in the Applications directory, older Pharo versions don't. While the image opens, I just get a giant black window. Any way around this?

Happy New Year!

Jeff

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

EstebanLM
yes they do.
you just have to download the vm for Pharo4

(veeeery old versions of Pharo maybe will not work, but who knows :P)

Esteban

> On 13 Jan 2017, at 14:58, J.F. Rick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> While Pharo5 works in Sierra if I place it in the Applications directory, older Pharo versions don't. While the image opens, I just get a giant black window. Any way around this?
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Jeff

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

HilaireFernandes
Ok, nice to hear that. I will have to change the VM sooner or later for
DrGeo then.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

jrick
So, what's the proper procedure? I just moved my Pharo4 to the Application directory and it didn't work? Launched but the window is black. Is there a new Pharo4 VM for MacOS? If so, where is it?

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

HilaireFernandes
I don't know yet Jeff. I don't have either a macos sierra at hand. Once
a Mac OS Sierra user reported me the problem your are mentioning[1], but
I did not get very far investigating the problem.

For me it is not clear at all from[2] if there is any Mac VM 4.0. May be
Esteban can enlighten us.

[1] http://forum.drgeo.eu/DrGeo-pb-mac-os-Sierra-td4024957.html
[2] http://pharo.org/download

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

Bruce O'Neel-2

Pharo 4 might be hard on MacOS Sierra.

There was a late change to the VM, at least for Squeak, to stop the black screen on startup on Sierra.    Pharo 4 was before that change, and, for that matter, before Sierra.  Pharo 5 was after and clearly has that change.

I'm pretty sure that the patches are one of these two:

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/...

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/...

and I'm almost 100% sure that the second is the magic one.

The simple solution would be to replace the VM in the Pharo 4 bundle with the VM in the Pharo 5 bundle, but, alas, the VM in the Pharo 5 bundle can't read the image from Pharo 4.

So it would look as if one's choices are:

* Build the version of the VM from the Pharo 4 bundle, but, apply one or both of the patches above.
* Figure out why Pharo 4 is necessary and move to Pharo 5.
* Run a squeak V3 VM and hack something together.  This might not give the full Pharo experience.

To run the squeak V3 do the following:

Download and unzip the newest Squeak V3 VM.

https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/download_file...

Alt click on the CocoaFast app and choose open.
Quit.

Download Pharo 4.  Alt click on Pharo 4 and choose "Show Package Contents."  Navigate to Contents -> Resources.  Drag the "Pharo4.0.image" overtop the CocoaFast app and it launches.  You do have startup errors, so, you now have some time to play around.

I realize that neither look so easy, though the second one is probably the wisest just because the Pharo group moves quickly.

cheers

bruce

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

EstebanLM

Pharo 4.0 (and related VMs) can be downloaded from here:

http://files.pharo.org/get-files/40/

Esteban

On 14 Jan 2017, at 12:19, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

On 14 Jan 2017, at 12:56, Bruce O'Neel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Pharo 4 might be hard on MacOS Sierra.

There was a late change to the VM, at least for Squeak, to stop the black screen on startup on Sierra.    Pharo 4 was before that change, and, for that matter, before Sierra.  Pharo 5 was after and clearly has that change.

I updated the VM on Pharo 4 to work also on Sierra, so this does not remains true :)

I'm pretty sure that the patches are one of these two:

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/...

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/...

and I'm almost 100% sure that the second is the magic one.

The simple solution would be to replace the VM in the Pharo 4 bundle with the VM in the Pharo 5 bundle, but, alas, the VM in the Pharo 5 bundle can't read the image from Pharo 4.

no, it will not work, because Pharo 5 is spur and Pharo 4 is not

[...]

… or you can download the Pharo 4.0 VM (from here: http://files.pharo.org/get-files/40/) and run your Pharo 4.0 and Pharo 3.0 app without problems (I didn’t try Pharo 2.0 and 1.4, but I do not see why they wouldn’t work).
now, Pharo 1.0 will not work I think, because it is not a Stack image (it didn’t existed at the time)… there yes, you will need one of the legacy VMs that we do not maintain anymore… for that, there are some VMs around, but I frankly would migrate any 1.0 based image… is work (and maybe hard work), but at the end it will pay :)

if what you have is a OneClick package, the best approach is to extract your Pharo*.image, Pharo*.changes and Pharo*.sources and then use the Pharo 4.0 VM with them,

cheers,
Esteban

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

Bruce O'Neel-2

Thanks, that's very nice.

There is also a mac build here:

http://files.pharo.org/platform/

and the pharo 4 one does not work.  That's the one I found when I poked around and tested it.

cheers

bruce

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra

EstebanLM

On 14 Jan 2017, at 18:04, Bruce O'Neel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks, that's very nice.

There is also a mac build here:

http://files.pharo.org/platform/

and the pharo 4 one does not work.  That's the one I found when I poked around and tested it.

oops… I forget to update that one.
I will do it next week, thanks for reporting!

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Older Pharo on MacOS Sierra