OmniBase for Pharo 6

12

OmniBase for Pharo 6

Matias Maretto-2

Hi folks, does anyone know how to get OmniBase for Pharo 6?.  The Package on Pharo.org is for pharo 4, I tried to install them manually from the MCZ files, but I get a strange error in a closeHandle method. <apicall: Literal constant expected -> ulong 'CloseHandle' (long) module:'kernel32.dll'>
^self externalCallFailed.
I am using win 7.
Thanks.
Matias.

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

pdigonzelli1
Hi try this. I do not know if working on pharo 6 or 7

--
Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
Software Solutions
[hidden email]
Cel: 543815982714

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

tblanchard
FWIW, I have used it before and I don't have anything good to say about the library or the individual who wrote it.

I'd look for something else.

Cel: 543815982714

Cel: 543815982714

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

Tim Mackinnon
I too used it in Dolphin and it was fine, But i don’t think it gets used much in Pharo and so has probably decayed, isn’t Voyage an object dB or Gemstone?

(Todd & everyone, a gentle reminder to try and leave personality opinions at the door , we’ve already had another thread that got overly heated unnecessarily. Our community is small and we need to avoid knife fights. The technical stuff is already hard enough)

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 21 Jun 2018, at 00:20, Matias Maretto <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

EstebanLM
Hi,

I just made a “blind port” of OmniBase to Pharo6+ (migrated the old FFI to new UFFI).
New port is here:

and can be load like this:

Metacello new
repository: '<a href="github://estebanlm/OmniBase/src" class="">github://estebanlm/OmniBase/src';
baseline: 'OmniBase';
load.

PLEASE note I’ve never used OmniBase and I don’t know if this port will work out of the box. But if it was working, it should continue working now (and this list can help to get you rolling).

cheers,
Esteban

ps: I always wanted to do a Voyage-OmniBase… maybe this is the moment? :P

On 21 Jun 2018, at 08:13, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

btw… a viable alternative to omnibase if your needs are not more than 1TB is Voyage-Unqlite.

Is the closest we have to a real object database running.

(now, I need to check why it is not working properly on windows, but that’s another 2c)

Esteban

On 21 Jun 2018, at 09:10, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I'll just leave it with production data was lost through creeping file corruption and recovery services were paid for but not rendered.  If you need your data to be safe, I'd pick something else.

Sorry if that seems offensive, that's my experience with it.

On Jun 20, 2018, at 11:13 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Thank you Esteban, I will load it and run some test; very thankful. Todd , Tim, also thank you for your comments, I will certainly take a look a Voyage.
I will let you know how it turns out.

Matias.

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

EstebanLM
ok, I just updated it (and split tests from main package).
now it loads and tests pass except for 3 failures.

I let you provide a PR to fix them if that’s an issue :)

cheers,
Esteban

On 21 Jun 2018, at 13:49, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

btw… the baseline I created will just load OmniBase. Some dependencies (like OSProcess) where not included (as I said, I just made it loadable in P6+, some work may be needed to make it pass).

cheers,
Esteban

On 21 Jun 2018, at 13:13, Matias Maretto <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, Thank you Esteban, I will load it and run some test; very thankful. Todd , Tim, also thank you for your comments, I will certainly take a look a Voyage.
I will let you know how it turns out.

Matias.

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
> I just made a “blind port”… migrated the old FFI to new UFFI

Did you do this manually or use some migration tool? How long did it take?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

EstebanLM
I did it manually and I took like 5 min :P
but this was really easy, just a bunch of FFI calls.

Esteban

> On 21 Jun 2018, at 15:31, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> EstebanLM wrote
>> I just made a “blind port”… migrated the old FFI to new UFFI
>
> Did you do this manually or use some migration tool? How long did it take?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

Matias Maretto-2

Esteban: it's working fine, I had to made a minor corrections on 2 FFI calls and now everithing seems to be working fine.

For What I saw with Voyage-UnqLite only String Objects can be used to searilize; Omnibase allow to persist almost any kind of objects, thats the part I like about it.

I did it manually and I took like 5 min :P
but this was really easy, just a bunch of FFI calls.

Esteban

> On 21 Jun 2018, at 15:31, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> EstebanLM wrote
>> I just made a “blind port”… migrated the old FFI to new UFFI
>
> Did you do this manually or use some migration tool? How long did it take?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

Peter Kenny

Matias

I have just loaded Esteban’s package in a new Pharo 6.1 under Windows 10. I get an error message saying ‘File cannot be locked. Try again?’. When I select ‘no’, all tests are run and give red. Are you still running on win 7? If so, I must be doing something wrong. Can you give more details of the FFI corrections you made, please?

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

Esteban: it's working fine, I had to made a minor corrections on 2 FFI calls and now everithing seems to be working fine.

For What I saw with Voyage-UnqLite only String Objects can be used to searilize; Omnibase allow to persist almost any kind of objects, thats the part I like about it.

I did it manually and I took like 5 min :P
but this was really easy, just a bunch of FFI calls.

Esteban

> On 21 Jun 2018, at 15:31, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> EstebanLM wrote
>> I just made a “blind port”… migrated the old FFI to new UFFI
>
> Did you do this manually or use some migration tool? How long did it take?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

forum.world.st

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

Matias Maretto-2

Hi Peter, yes I had the same error at the beginning. I have done 2 minor  changes. Now it seems to be working fine (Although I am still running more tests). Here:

ODBWin32FileStream >>

closeHandle: aHandle
"Close an open Win32 object handle, freeing any resources held by it.
Once closed a handle is no longer valid. Answer whether the function
succeeds. See Win32 SDK help for more information.

BOOL CloseHandle(
HANDLE  hObject // handle of object to close
);"

"<apicall: ulong 'CloseHandle' (long) module:'kernel32.dll'>"
^ self ffiCall: #(ulong CloseHandle(long aHandle))

ODBWin32FileStream >>

lockFile: aHandle offsetLow: loPos offsetHigh: hiPos lengthLow: loLength lengthHigh: hiLength

"<apicall: long 'LockFile' (long ulong ulong ulong ulong) module: 'kernel32.dll'>"

^ self
ffiCall: #(long LockFile #(long aHandle , ulong loPos , ulong hiPos , ulong loLength , ulong hiLength))

I have just loaded Esteban’s package in a new Pharo 6.1 under Windows 10. I get an error message saying ‘File cannot be locked. Try again?’. When I select ‘no’, all tests are run and give red. Are you still running on win 7? If so, I must be doing something wrong. Can you give more details of the FFI corrections you made, please?

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

Esteban: it's working fine, I had to made a minor corrections on 2 FFI calls and now everithing seems to be working fine.

For What I saw with Voyage-UnqLite only String Objects can be used to searilize; Omnibase allow to persist almost any kind of objects, thats the part I like about it.

I did it manually and I took like 5 min :P
but this was really easy, just a bunch of FFI calls.

Esteban

> On 21 Jun 2018, at 15:31, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> EstebanLM wrote
>> I just made a “blind port”… migrated the old FFI to new UFFI
>
> Did you do this manually or use some migration tool? How long did it take?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

forum.world.st

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

Peter Kenny

Matias

Thanks for the hints. I now have 5 greens, but all the rest are red. I am still getting the ‘File cannot be locked’ message. Are you doing better than that? I may try a few trials using it for real, rather than the test suite.

Thanks again

Peter Kenny

I have just loaded Esteban’s package in a new Pharo 6.1 under Windows 10. I get an error message saying ‘File cannot be locked. Try again?’. When I select ‘no’, all tests are run and give red. Are you still running on win 7? If so, I must be doing something wrong. Can you give more details of the FFI corrections you made, please?

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

Esteban: it's working fine, I had to made a minor corrections on 2 FFI calls and now everithing seems to be working fine.

For What I saw with Voyage-UnqLite only String Objects can be used to searilize; Omnibase allow to persist almost any kind of objects, thats the part I like about it.

I did it manually and I took like 5 min :P
but this was really easy, just a bunch of FFI calls.

Esteban

> On 21 Jun 2018, at 15:31, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> EstebanLM wrote
>> I just made a “blind port”… migrated the old FFI to new UFFI
>
> Did you do this manually or use some migration tool? How long did it take?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

forum.world.st

Re: OmniBase for Pharo 6

Matias Maretto-2

Peter: when I run code like this example:

db := OmniBase createOn: 'C:\temp\testOmni'.
aTrans := db newTransaction.

aTrans root at: 'Hello' put: (OrderedCollection with: 1 with: 2 with: 3).
aTrans commit.
db close.

db := OmniBase openOn: 'C:\temp\testOmni'.
aTrans := db newTransaction.
(aTrans root at: 'Hello') size

Everything is fine, but sometimes when I close an reopen the base I get the "lock" error, but even when I get the error the base is still opened and transactions run fine. I will take a closer look to the lockFIle method.

I will tell you if I find a solution. (I am using Win 7).

Thanks for the hints. I now have 5 greens, but all the rest are red. I am still getting the ‘File cannot be locked’ message. Are you doing better than that? I may try a few trials using it for real, rather than the test suite.

Thanks again

Peter Kenny

I have just loaded Esteban’s package in a new Pharo 6.1 under Windows 10. I get an error message saying ‘File cannot be locked. Try again?’. When I select ‘no’, all tests are run and give red. Are you still running on win 7? If so, I must be doing something wrong. Can you give more details of the FFI corrections you made, please?

Many thanks

Peter Kenny

Esteban: it's working fine, I had to made a minor corrections on 2 FFI calls and now everithing seems to be working fine.

For What I saw with Voyage-UnqLite only String Objects can be used to searilize; Omnibase allow to persist almost any kind of objects, thats the part I like about it.

I did it manually and I took like 5 min :P
but this was really easy, just a bunch of FFI calls.

Esteban

> On 21 Jun 2018, at 15:31, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> EstebanLM wrote
>> I just made a “blind port”… migrated the old FFI to new UFFI
>
> Did you do this manually or use some migration tool? How long did it take?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

forum.world.st