OmniBrowser for Squeak 3.9

Colin Putney
Hi folks,

In preparation for Squeak 3.9 going gamma, I'm getting together a
release of OmniBrowser. This will be a bit tricky because of the of
some of the changes made in 3.9. I think we'll eventually be able to
create the right abstractions to handle them, but for now, it means
OB mainline will run on Squeak 3.6 through 3.8, and there will be a
special branch for Squeak 3.9.

Here's a list of issues that have come up recently:

--
Pascal Zumkehr reported Mantis issue #4023, and I've fixed it in OB-
Standard-cwp.108.

A bug that prevented OB from opening properly in response to cmd-b.
Lukas Renggli did a fix for this, and I've merged it into the trunk.
(OB-Standard-cwp.109)

Alexandre Bergel proposed an enhancement to the 'find class...' menu
item. It turns out that his enhancement shouldn't have been
necessary. The behavior he wanted was intended in the original
implementation, but it didn't work because of a bug. Rather than use
his enhancement code, I just went back and fixed the original bug.
(OB-Standard-cwp.109)

Philippe Marschall (I think... pmm?) created a version of 'find
class...' that finds traits as well as classes. This can't go into
the OB trunk, but it should be in the Squeak 3.9, I think.

There was a bug that prevented comments from being displayed properly
in Squeak 3.9. Again, this can't go into the OB trunk, but should be
in Squeak 3.9.

Alexandre Bergel posted an action for moving a method from one
package to another. I think it's a great idea, but there's a problem
with the implementation: it introduces a dependency on Monticello,
which I want to avoid in the core browser. This idea could just as
well be implemented via PackageInfo.

Alex also posted a changeset  that causes the '-- all --' method
category to be selected when the user clicks on the class. Again, a
good idea, but the implementation is problematic. It completely by-
passes the metagraph, and makes all kinds of assumptions about what
nodes are in which column. It also makes a lot of changes to the core
library for the sake of this menu item, which makes me nervous. I
think we should delay this feature until it can be done cleanly, post
Squeak 3.9.

Lukas fixed a bug which called infinite recursion during a drag
operation. As it happens, I also found and fixed this bug, so there's
no need to merge his fix into the trunk.

Lukas also posted a cosmetic fix, which makes OB browsers visually
match the new look in Squeak 3.9. Obviously not appropriate for the
trunk, but should be in the 3.9 version.

Finally, I've done a lot of work on the core library. One of the more
important changes was to move to announcements for responding to
events. I've also done some preliminary work to support services. I
think these changes should be part of the 3.9 release as well.
--

My plan is to produce two release candidates incorporating all this
work - one for inclusion in Squeak 3.9 and one for 3.6 - 3.8. If all

Cheers,

Colin

Re: OmniBrowser for Squeak 3.9

Damien Cassou-3
Thank you for OmniBrowser, it's very cool.

However, do you know if it's possible to get syntax highlighting with OB
? I've tried ShoutOmnibrowser from SqueakMap but I can't enter text
anymore with this.

Thank you

Colin Putney wrote:

> [...]
> need to merge his fix into the trunk.
>
> Lukas also posted a cosmetic fix, which makes OB browsers visually match
> the new look in Squeak 3.9. Obviously not appropriate for the trunk, but
> should be in the 3.9 version.
>
> Finally, I've done a lot of work on the core library. One of the more
> important changes was to move to announcements for responding to events.
> I've also done some preliminary work to support services. I think these
> changes should be part of the 3.9 release as well.
> --
>
> My plan is to produce two release candidates incorporating all this work
> - one for inclusion in Squeak 3.9 and one for 3.6 - 3.8. If all goes
> well, I'll post these to the Squeak 3.9 submission repository tomorrow.
> If I've forgotten anything, or made some kind of misjudgement about on

Philippe Marschall
Hi

I also changed OBDefinitionPanel >> #browseIt: to make it work with
traits as well as classes. So this is Squeak specific now too.

Cheers
Philippe

2006/7/9, Colin Putney <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> no need to merge his fix into the trunk.
>
> Lukas also posted a cosmetic fix, which makes OB browsers visually
> match the new look in Squeak 3.9. Obviously not appropriate for the
> trunk, but should be in the 3.9 version.
>
> Finally, I've done a lot of work on the core library. One of the more
> important changes was to move to announcements for responding to
> events. I've also done some preliminary work to support services. I
> think these changes should be part of the 3.9 release as well.
> --
>
> My plan is to produce two release candidates incorporating all this
> work - one for inclusion in Squeak 3.9 and one for 3.6 - 3.8. If all
> goes well, I'll post these to the Squeak 3.9 submission repository
> tomorrow. If I've forgotten anything, or made some kind of
> misjudgement about on of these items, please let me know.

Andrew Tween

> Thank you for OmniBrowser, it's very cool.
>
> However, do you know if it's possible to get syntax highlighting with OB
> ? I've tried ShoutOmnibrowser from SqueakMap but I can't enter text
> anymore with this.

Try using the latest version of Shout on SqueakSource (Shout.3.15-tween.65.mcz).
I've just tried this in 3.9b-7037 with the ImageBrowser, and with
ShoutOmnibrowser (from SqueakMap) installed, and it works ok for me.
If you have any problems then please let me know, and I'll take a look.
Cheers,
Andy

> [...]
> > need to merge his fix into the trunk.
> >
> > Lukas also posted a cosmetic fix, which makes OB browsers visually match
> > the new look in Squeak 3.9. Obviously not appropriate for the trunk, but
> > should be in the 3.9 version.
> >
> > Finally, I've done a lot of work on the core library. One of the more
> > important changes was to move to announcements for responding to events.
> > I've also done some preliminary work to support services. I think these
> > changes should be part of the 3.9 release as well.
> > --
> >
> > My plan is to produce two release candidates incorporating all this work
> > - one for inclusion in Squeak 3.9 and one for 3.6 - 3.8. If all goes
> > well, I'll post these to the Squeak 3.9 submission repository tomorrow.
> > If I've forgotten anything, or made some kind of misjudgement about on

stéphane ducasse-2
Colin

> In preparation for Squeak 3.9 going gamma, I'm getting together a
> release of OmniBrowser.

Excellent.
Colin for the fun you should look at the latest implementation of the
DualPaneBrowser made by roel.
This is cool you have the VW behavior for showing packaging and class
hierarchy + class extension per package.
Really neat. I think that the conclusion is that knowing the selected
item would be quite useful for all kinds of new
ideas. :) But this is for the future.

> [...]
> there's no need to merge his fix into the trunk.
>
> Lukas also posted a cosmetic fix, which makes OB browsers visually
> match the new look in Squeak 3.9. Obviously not appropriate for the
> trunk, but should be in the 3.9 version.
>
> Finally, I've done a lot of work on the core library. One of the
> more important changes was to move to announcements for responding
> to events. I've also done some preliminary work to support
> services. I think these changes should be part of the 3.9 release
> as well.
> --
>
> My plan is to produce two release candidates incorporating all this
> work - one for inclusion in Squeak 3.9 and one for 3.6 - 3.8. If
> all goes well, I'll post these to the Squeak 3.9 submission
> repository tomorrow. If I've forgotten anything, or made some kind
> of misjudgement about on of these items, please let me know.

Let me know me when you have something for 3.9.
Ideally I would like to remove the OB packages and be able to reload
it later.

Re: OmniBrowser for Squeak 3.9

Damien Cassou-3
> Try using the latest version of Shout on SqueakSource (Shout.3.15-tween.65.mcz).
> I've just tried this in 3.9b-7037 with the ImageBrowser, and with
> ShoutOmnibrowser (from SqueakMap) installed, and it works ok for me.
> If you have any problems then please let me know, and I'll take a look.

First, thank you for Shout, I love it and hope it will be included in a
future 'for devs' squeak distribution.

I still have problems.

Squeak-7038
ShoutOmniBrowser from SqueakMap
Shout 3.15 65 from Squeak source
Don't know what ImageBrowser is

With OBSystemBrowser:

I have the syntax highlighting, but when I try to write text on the code
pane I get the error in the attached file.

Thank you

MessageNotUnderstood: OBDefinitionPanel>>completionController
9 July 2006 12:08:16 pm

VM: unix - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.9alpha [latest update: #7038]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /home/cassou/Documents/squeak/image/Squeak3.9b-7038.zip_FILES
Trusted Dir /home/cassou/Documents/squeak/image/Squeak3.9b-7038.zip_FILES/secure
Untrusted Dir /home/cassou/Documents/squeak/image/Squeak3.9b-7038.zip_FILES/My Squeak

OBDefinitionPanel(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #completionController
        Receiver: an OBDefinitionPanel
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMessage: completionController
        Receiver's instance variables:
                browser: an OBSystemBrowser
                definition: an OBMethodDefinition

TextMorphForShout(TextMorph)>>keyStroke:
        Receiver: a TextMorphForShout(1970)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                evt: [keystroke 's']
                action: nil
                completionAllowed: true
                stringHolder: an OBDefinitionPanel
        Receiver's instance variables:
                bounds: 0@0 corner: 572@58
                owner: a TransformMorph(1710)
                submorphs: #()
                fullBounds: 0@0 corner: 572@58
                color: Color black
                extension: a MorphExtension (821)
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: Color black
                textStyle: a TextStyle Accuny12(FontSet)
                text: a Text for 'or: alternativeBlock
        "Nonevaluating disjunction -- answer t...etc...
                wrapFlag: true
                paragraph: a MultiNewParagraph
                editor: a TextMorphForShoutEditor
                container: nil
                predecessor: nil
                successor: nil
                backgroundColor: nil
                margins: nil
                editHistory: nil
                editView: a PluggableShoutMorph(2718)
                acceptOnCR: false

TextMorphForShout(TextMorphForEditView)>>keyStroke:
[...]

TextMorphForShout(TextMorph)>>handleKeystroke:
        Receiver: a TextMorphForShout(1970)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [keystroke 's']
                pasteUp: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                bounds: 0@0 corner: 572@58
                owner: a TransformMorph(1710)
                submorphs: #()
                fullBounds: 0@0 corner: 572@58
                color: Color black
                extension: a MorphExtension (821)
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: Color black
                textStyle: a TextStyle Accuny12(FontSet)
                text: a Text for 'or: alternativeBlock
        "Nonevaluating disjunction -- answer t...etc...
                wrapFlag: true
                paragraph: a MultiNewParagraph
                editor: a TextMorphForShoutEditor
                container: nil
                predecessor: nil
                successor: nil
                backgroundColor: nil
                margins: nil
                editHistory: nil
                editView: a PluggableShoutMorph(2718)
                acceptOnCR: false

--- The full stack ---
OBDefinitionPanel(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #completionController
TextMorphForShout(TextMorph)>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForShout(TextMorphForEditView)>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForShout(TextMorph)>>handleKeystroke:
KeyboardEvent>>sentTo:
TextMorphForShout(Morph)>>handleEvent:
TextMorphForShout(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear: {[ActiveHand := self.  ActiveEvent := anEvent.  result := focusHolder     han...]}
[] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring: {[aBlock value]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor: {[:h |  ActiveHand := h.  h processEvents.  capturingGesture := capturingGest...]}
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor terminateActive]}
...etc...

Re: OmniBrowser for Squeak 3.9

Andrew Tween

> > Try using the latest version of Shout on SqueakSource
(Shout.3.15-tween.65.mcz).

> > I've just tried this in 3.9b-7037 with the ImageBrowser, and with
> > ShoutOmnibrowser (from SqueakMap) installed, and it works ok for me.
> > If you have any problems then please let me know, and I'll take a look.
>
> First, thank you for Shout, I love it and hope it will be included in a
> future 'for devs' squeak distribution.
>
> I still have problems.
>
> Squeak-7038
> ShoutOmniBrowser from SqueakMap
> Shout 3.15 65 from Squeak source
> Don't know what ImageBrowser is

The 'Image Browser' option from the World->open... menu.

> With OBSystemBrowser:

How does one open one of these?
Is it a different animal from the 'Image Browser'?

> I have the syntax highlighting, but when I try to write text on the code
> pane I get the error in the attached file.

I don't get that error. It looks like it has something to do with
auto-completion. Perhaps you have some completion package installed?
(eCompletion maybe?)

> [...]

> PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
> HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
> HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
> HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent:
> HandMorph>>handleEvent:
> HandMorph>>processEvents
> [] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor: {[:h |  ActiveHand := h.  h processEvents.
capturingGesture := capturingGest...]}
> Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
> WorldState>>handsDo:
> WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
> WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
> PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
> [] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor yield.
false] whileFalse.  nil]}
> [] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor terminateActive]}
> ...etc...

Re: OmniBrowser for Squeak 3.9

Damien Cassou-3
> The 'Image Browser' option from the World->open... menu.

Same problem with Image Browser

>> With OBSystemBrowser:
>
> How does one open one of these?
> Is it a different animal from the 'Image Browser'?

OBSystemBrowser open

> I don't get that error. It looks like it has something to do with
> auto-completion. Perhaps you have some completion package installed?
> (eCompletion maybe?)

Yes, I have eCompletion. The problem may come from here and not shout.
I'm sorry

Re: OmniBrowser for Squeak 3.9

Andrew Tween
> Yes, I have eCompletion. The problem may come from here and not shout.
> I'm sorry

No problem.
There is a package on SqueakMap named 'eCompletionOmniBrowser' which seems to
solve this problem.
Cheers,
Andy

On Jul 9, 2006, at 5:46 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Ideally I would like to remove the OB packages and be able to
> reload it later.

Huh? I don't follow.

Technically, this should be easy to do. MC can unload OB any time you
like.

OTOH, are you saying you'd rather not have OB included in the
standard 3.9 release, but be able to load it from SqueakMap? This
actually makes a lot of sense, since a) the regular browsers are
still present in 3.9 and b) the Traits browsers aren't ready for
inclusion yet anyway. From my point of view it would be fine, since
it means I can take a bit more time to deal with the changes made in
Squeak 3.9.

Let me know what you think.

Colin

On 9 juil. 06, at 17:49, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2006, at 5:46 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Ideally I would like to remove the OB packages and be able to
>> reload it later.
>
> Huh? I don't follow.

Sorry I meant that ideally we should be able to take
        3.9 final
                remove some packages and produce 3.9 mini
        and OB should be one of the packages that we should be able to
reload in mini.

> Technically, this should be easy to do. MC can unload OB any time
> you like.

I have a technical question.
What MC does when unloading/cleaning phase. Do you check the obsolete
classes/instances?

> OTOH, are you saying you'd rather not have OB included in the
> standard 3.9 release, but be able to load it from SqueakMap? This
> actually makes a lot of sense, since a) the regular browsers are
> still present in 3.9 and b) the Traits browsers aren't ready for
> inclusion yet anyway. From my point of view it would be fine, since
> it means I can take a bit more time to deal with the changes made
> in Squeak 3.9.

If we can push a bit now this would be better. Since it takes always
more time that what we plan :)

On Jul 9, 2006, at 12:20 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> I have a technical question.
> What MC does when unloading/cleaning phase. Do you check the
> obsolete classes/instances?

No, it doesn't check obsolete classes. It just removes all the
classes and methods that are in the package. There's actually a bug
here - the methods are removed first, so when #unload is sent to
classes before they are removed, it has no effect. This wouldn't
affect OB, however.

Colin