OmniBrowser too slow?

EstebanLM
Hi all,
I recently changed to OmniBrowser (used to use RefactoringBrowser), and is great stuff, but i found it very slow...
Is there others with the same feeling or it's just me?

btw, i'm using squeak VM 3.9 on ubuntu feisty

Cheers,
Esteban

--
"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Re: OmniBrowser too slow?

Brad Fuller-2
On Wed September 26 2007, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> Hi all,
> I recently changed to OmniBrowser (used to use RefactoringBrowser), and is
> great stuff, but i found it very slow...
> Is there others with the same feeling or it's just me?
>
> btw, i'm using squeak VM 3.9 on ubuntu feisty

Yes, it's slow for me.... I'm using gentoo, v.39/v3.10

Re: OmniBrowser too slow?

Michael Fremont
I love the features of the OmniBrowser, and was using it for a couple
of weeks.  I had to stop using it because it was very slow; but worse,
it may have a memory leak.

Let me explain.  As I continued to use the browser my image size got
much bigger, even after invoking Smalltalk garbageCollect.  I can't be
sure this is due to the browser; but since I switched back to the
regular browser I have no such problem.  Of course, I'm doing lots of
things, so it could be a coincidence...

On 9/26/07, Brad Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed September 26 2007, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I recently changed to OmniBrowser (used to use RefactoringBrowser), and is
> > great stuff, but i found it very slow...
> > Is there others with the same feeling or it's just me?
> >
> > btw, i'm using squeak VM 3.9 on ubuntu feisty
>
> Yes, it's slow for me.... I'm using gentoo, v.39/v3.10

Re: OmniBrowser too slow?

David Röthlisberger

>> I recently changed to OmniBrowser (used to use RefactoringBrowser), and is
>> great stuff, but i found it very slow...
>> Is there others with the same feeling or it's just me?
>>
>> btw, i'm using squeak VM 3.9 on ubuntu feisty
>
> Yes, it's slow for me.... I'm using gentoo, v.39/v3.10

I would be interested to know what kind of hardware you use?
On my hardware I have never noticed serious performance problems using the newest
version of OB.
I use Intel Core 2 Duo Macs and a Windows P4 system.

David

Re: OmniBrowser too slow?

Damien Cassou-3
2007/9/27, Michael Fremont <[hidden email]>:
> I love the features of the OmniBrowser, and was using it for a couple
> of weeks.  I had to stop using it because it was very slow; but worse,
> it may have a memory leak.
>
> Let me explain.  As I continued to use the browser my image size got
> much bigger, even after invoking Smalltalk garbageCollect.  I can't be
> sure this is due to the browser; but since I switched back to the
> regular browser I have no such problem.  Of course, I'm doing lots of
> things, so it could be a coincidence...

Did you use a Squeak-dev image? It may be due to DynamicProtocols.
Have a look at the preferences browser and deactivate them.

Would be cool if some people here helped us accelerate OB.

Damien Cassou

Re: OmniBrowser too slow?

EstebanLM
Deactivating DynamicProtocols speeds OB a lot (although it can be better, i think)
Thanks Damien!

On 9/27/07, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2007/9/27, Michael Fremont <[hidden email]>:
> I love the features of the OmniBrowser, and was using it for a couple
> of weeks.  I had to stop using it because it was very slow; but worse,
> it may have a memory leak.
>
> Let me explain.  As I continued to use the browser my image size got
> much bigger, even after invoking Smalltalk garbageCollect.  I can't be
> sure this is due to the browser; but since I switched back to the
> regular browser I have no such problem.  Of course, I'm doing lots of
> things, so it could be a coincidence...

Did you use a Squeak-dev image? It may be due to DynamicProtocols.
Have a look at the preferences browser and deactivate them.

Would be cool if some people here helped us accelerate OB.

--
Damien Cassou

--
"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Re: OmniBrowser too slow?

Damien Cassou-3
2007/9/28, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
> Deactivating DynamicProtocols speeds OB a lot (although it can be better, i
> think)
> Thanks Damien!

I'm responsible for DynamicProtocols. I'm not sure why you thank me :-)

--
Damien Cassou