Omnibase

Glenn Swanlund
On Windows 7, I'm trying to install OmniBase in Pharo-30846. I get an error for  ExternalWindowsOSProcess >> doesNotUnderstand defaultShellPath.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Regards,
Glenn

Re: Omnibase

Ben Coman
Glenn Swanlund wrote:
> On Windows 7, I'm trying to install OmniBase in Pharo-30846. I get an
> error for  ExternalWindowsOSProcess >> doesNotUnderstand defaultShellPath.
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this?
>
> Regards,
> Glenn
At a guess you could start by defining...

ExternalWindowsOSProcess >>defaultShellPath
    "Default shell to run"\
    | path |
    path := 'C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe'.
    (OSProcess fileExists: path)
        ifTrue: [^ path]
        ifFalse: [self notify: path, ' not found']

but then whatever passed to an expected unix shell might not be suitable
for the windows shell.

Alternatively maybe Cygwin needs to be installed and used ?

HTH, ben

OSProcess question (was: Omnibase)

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 06:01:44PM -0700, Glenn Swanlund wrote:
> On Windows 7, I'm trying to install OmniBase in Pharo-30846. I get an error
> for  ExternalWindowsOSProcess >> doesNotUnderstand defaultShellPath.
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this?

Hi Glenn,

Sorry I did not reply earlier. You are probably using an older version of OSProcess.
Sean DeNigris provided a fix for this problem, as well as some other Windows issues.
His updates were committed in the OSProcess repository:

Name: OSProcess-dtl.88
Author: dtl
Time: 29 December 2013, 1:47:22.224 pm
UUID: 12ce82c2-7d79-4af1-9e10-6f914757525e
Ancestors: OSProcess-dtl.87

OSProcess 4.5.11, CommandShell 4.6.8
Fixes by Sean DeNigris for win32 support in PipeableOSProcess (CommandShell package)

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:09:37 -0800 (PST)
From: "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [squeak-dev] Fix: OSProcess on Windows

I made a small fix for MNU #defaultShellPath, which has been reported a few times. I didn't have repo write access, so I committed to
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~SeanDeNigris/SeansOutbox . Sometimes on Windows (e.g. seemingly when there are quoted command line arguments), the argument to #waitForCommand: and command: must be wrapped in $". I don't think there is any harm in always doing this (on Windows), but wanted to get feedback from Dave first...

OSProcess-Win32-SeanDeNigris.11
- Supply shell flags valid for Windows (i.e. '/c'); shell commands via
PipeableOSProcess are now working, with two restrictions:
        - no access to stdout
        - argument to #waitXyz: may have to be surroundedByDoubleQuotes

OSProcess-Base-SeanDeNigris.41
- Extract default shell flags ('-c') into a method, so that Windows may supply flags valid there (i.e. '/c')

CommandShell-Piping-SeanDeNigris.15
- Fix Win32 shell by providing path to cmd.exe