classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

On-line Amber development environment

tfleig
Hi Amber-group,

As many others have said, I find Amber Smalltalk really exciting.

I was looking for a way to incorporate Amber in my current activities. I wanted an on-line Amber environment that would work without a local node.js server -- on my iPad for example. The result is ScrewtopDb Amberstore.

ScrewtopDb Amberstore is a free service that allows you to work online and persist your Amber categories in the cloud and have them be there the next time you bring Amber up.  (ScrewtopbDb is a product in development that seemed to be a good fit for Amber persistence.)

The ScrewtopDb Amberstore service is really just a substitute for the commit code currently available to save categories to a local node.js server. It commits to the ScrewtopDb Amberstore service and automatically loads your new and changed categories the next time you visit your Amber URL. (Just don't forget to commit your categories before you close your browser!)

When you first visit the ScrewtopDb Amberstore website, you will be presented with an online Amber IDE. The first time you try to commit a category, you will be presented with a login dialog from which you can register for a free ScrewtopDb Amberstore account (no email verification or anything -- it all happens online). After a brief wait while your account is set up you will be re-directed to your own ScrewtopDb Amberstore URL into which your committed category will have been inserted. Thereafter, you can use that URL to access your personal Amber IDE in which your committed categories will always be available. (When you delete a category by removing all its classes, the category is removed from your environment as well.)

There are instructions for how to access a stored category's files directly via a ScrewtopDb URL in the introductory text presented in the IDE.

ScrewtopDb is intended to facilitate sharing of information and it should be an easy enhancement to Amberstore to allow users to access each others environments in a read-only fashion and copy other users' categories into their own environment should that be desirable.

I have tested it with Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. It might not work in IE, but as Rhett Butler said in Gone With the Wind: "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

No guarantees, but it has been working well for me.

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
TF

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: On-line Amber development environment

Charles Monteiro-2
very cool, for one just to have your categories come back as God intended is great. Would be cool if "unloading" was supported i.e. not deleting or perhaps as an alternative incorporating into an SCM.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Amber-group,

I was looking for a way to incorporate Amber in my current activities. I wanted an on-line Amber environment that would work without a local node.js server -- on my iPad for example. The result is ScrewtopDb Amberstore.

ScrewtopDb Amberstore is a free service that allows you to work online and persist your Amber categories in the cloud and have them be there the next time you bring Amber up.  (ScrewtopbDb is a product in development that seemed to be a good fit for Amber persistence.)

The ScrewtopDb Amberstore service is really just a substitute for the commit code currently available to save categories to a local node.js server. It commits to the ScrewtopDb Amberstore service and automatically loads your new and changed categories the next time you visit your Amber URL. (Just don't forget to commit your categories before you close your browser!)

When you first visit the ScrewtopDb Amberstore website, you will be presented with an online Amber IDE. The first time you try to commit a category, you will be presented with a login dialog from which you can register for a free ScrewtopDb Amberstore account (no email verification or anything -- it all happens online). After a brief wait while your account is set up you will be re-directed to your own ScrewtopDb Amberstore URL into which your committed category will have been inserted. Thereafter, you can use that URL to access your personal Amber IDE in which your committed categories will always be available. (When you delete a category by removing all its classes, the category is removed from your environment as well.)

There are instructions for how to access a stored category's files directly via a ScrewtopDb URL in the introductory text presented in the IDE.

ScrewtopDb is intended to facilitate sharing of information and it should be an easy enhancement to Amberstore to allow users to access each others environments in a read-only fashion and copy other users' categories into their own environment should that be desirable.

I have tested it with Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. It might not work in IE, but as Rhett Butler said in Gone With the Wind: "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
TF

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road
Reply | Threaded
|

tfleig
I agree. This is sort of a first step I guess.

TF

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Charles Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
very cool, for one just to have your categories come back as God intended is great. Would be cool if "unloading" was supported i.e. not deleting or perhaps as an alternative incorporating into an SCM.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Amber-group,

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
TF

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Petton
In reply to this post by tfleig
Awesome! I'm gonna try it right now!

Cheers,
Nico

On 28/09/11 18:12, Tony Fleig wrote:

> Hi Amber-group,
>
> As many others have said, I find Amber Smalltalk really exciting.
>
> I was looking for a way to incorporate Amber in my current activities. I
> wanted an on-line Amber environment that would work without a local
> node.js server -- on my iPad for example. The result is ScrewtopDb
> Amberstore
> <https://www.screwtopdb.com/amberstore/topics?name=amberstore/amber.html>.
>
> ScrewtopDb Amberstore is a free service that allows you to work online
> and persist your Amber categories in the cloud and have them be there
> the next time you bring Amber up.  (ScrewtopbDb is a product in
> development that seemed to be a good fit for Amber persistence.)
>
> The ScrewtopDb Amberstore service is really just a substitute for the
> commit code currently available to save categories to a local node.js
> server. It commits to the ScrewtopDb Amberstore service and
> automatically loads your new and changed categories the next time you
> visit your Amber URL. (Just don't forget to commit your categories
> before you close your browser!)
>
> When you first visit the ScrewtopDb Amberstore
> <https://www.screwtopdb.com/amberstore/topics?name=amberstore/amber.html> website,
> you will be presented with an online Amber IDE. The first time you try
> to commit a category, you will be presented with a login dialog from
> which you can register for a free ScrewtopDb Amberstore account (no
> email verification or anything -- it all happens online). After a brief
> wait while your account is set up you will be re-directed to your own
> ScrewtopDb Amberstore URL into which your committed category will have
> been inserted. Thereafter, you can use that URL to access your personal
> Amber IDE in which your committed categories will always be available.
> (When you delete a category by removing all its classes, the category is
> removed from your environment as well.)
>
> There are instructions for how to access a stored category's files
> directly via a ScrewtopDb URL in the introductory text presented in the IDE.
>
> ScrewtopDb <http://www.screwtopdb.com/book> is intended to facilitate
> sharing of information and it should be an easy enhancement to
> Amberstore to allow users to access each others environments in a
> read-only fashion and copy other users' categories into their own
> environment should that be desirable.
>
> I have tested it with Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. It might not work in
> IE, but as Rhett Butler said in Gone With the Wind: "Frankly my dear, I
> don't give a damn."
>
> No guarantees, but it has been working well for me.
>
> All feedback is welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> TF
>
>
>

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr
Reply | Threaded
|

tfleig
Oops.

I discovered a problem in Amberstore registration. Anyone who registered an account before receiving this email should
  1. click on the Edit HTML button at the top of the IDE,
  2. change all instances of the string "tfleig" to the username you chose when you registered,
  3. click on the Save button, and 
  4. refresh the page.
If you find no instances of tfleig in the HTML, then you registered after the problem was corrected and no action is required.

I apologize for the oversight.

Cheers,
TF

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Amber-group,

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
TF

Reply | Threaded
|

gokr
Just wanted to mention that I will try pushing next step for packages later tonight after my 2 hours of badminton.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

On Sep 28, 2011 19:07, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]> wrote:

Oops.

I discovered a problem in Amberstore registration. Anyone who registered an account before receiving this email should
  2. change all instances of the string "tfleig" to the username you chose when you registered,
  4. refresh the page.
If you find no instances of tfleig in the HTML, then you registered after the problem was corrected and no action is required.

Cheers,
TF

Hi Amber-group,

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
TF

Reply | Threaded
|

tfleig
I knew it would be a challenge to keep up with the rate of change in Amber. ;)

TF

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just wanted to mention that I will try pushing next step for packages later tonight after my 2 hours of badminton.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Oops.

4. refresh the page.

Cheers,
TF

Hi Amber-group,

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
TF

Reply | Threaded
|

gokr
I don't think it will be too disruptive - I try to keep it small and to the point.

regards, Göran

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

On Sep 28, 2011 19:31, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]> wrote:

I knew it would be a challenge to keep up with the rate of change in Amber. ;)

TF

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Oops.

4. refresh the page.

Cheers,
TF

Hi Amber-group,

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
TF

Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov
Hello,

It is really really cool.

Is it possible to have persistable objects in class variables?
So we will have full smalltalk image illusion

Best regards,
Denis

2011/9/28 Tony Fleig <[hidden email]>
Hi Amber-group,

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
TF

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Petton
On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 10:31 -0700, Tony Fleig wrote:
> I knew it would be a challenge to keep up with the rate of change in
> Amber. ;)

Yeah, we were crazy after ESUG :) Things needed to calm down a bit!

But with packages, documentation tools (more later) and bug fixes, I
think we'll get a good 0.9.1 release!

Cheers,
Nico

>
>
> TF
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Just wanted to mention that I will try pushing next step for
>         packages later tonight after my 2 hours of badminton.
>        
>        
>        
>         -- Sent from my Palm Pre
>        
>        
>         ______________________________________________________________
>        
>         On Sep 28, 2011 19:07, Tony Fleig <[hidden email]>
>         wrote:
>        
>        
>        
>         Oops.
>        
>        
>         I discovered a problem in Amberstore registration. Anyone who
>         registered an account before receiving this email should
>              1. click on the Edit HTML button at the top of the IDE,
>              2. change all instances of the string "tfleig" to the
>                 username you chose when you registered,
>              3. click on the Save button, and
>              4. refresh the page.
>         If you find no instances of tfleig in the HTML, then you
>         registered after the problem was corrected and no action is
>         required.
>        
>        
>         I apologize for the oversight.
>        
>        
>         Cheers,
>         TF
>        
>         On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Tony Fleig
>         <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                 Hi Amber-group,
>                
>                
>                 As many others have said, I find Amber Smalltalk
>                 really exciting.
>                
>                
>                 I was looking for a way to incorporate Amber in my
>                 current activities. I wanted an on-line Amber
>                 environment that would work without a local node.js
>                 server -- on my iPad for example. The result is
>                 ScrewtopDb Amberstore.
>                
>                
>                 ScrewtopDb Amberstore is a free service that allows
>                 you to work online and persist your Amber categories
>                 in the cloud and have them be there the next time you
>                 bring Amber up.  (ScrewtopbDb is a product in
>                 development that seemed to be a good fit for Amber
>                 persistence.)
>                
>                
>                 The ScrewtopDb Amberstore service is really just a
>                 substitute for the commit code currently available to
>                 save categories to a local node.js server. It commits
>                 to the ScrewtopDb Amberstore service and automatically
>                 loads your new and changed categories the next time
>                 you visit your Amber URL. (Just don't forget to commit
>                 your categories before you close your browser!)
>                
>                
>                 When you first visit the ScrewtopDb
>                 Amberstore website, you will be presented with an
>                 online Amber IDE. The first time you try to commit a
>                 category, you will be presented with a login dialog
>                 from which you can register for a free ScrewtopDb
>                 Amberstore account (no email verification or anything
>                 -- it all happens online). After a brief wait while
>                 your account is set up you will be re-directed to your
>                 own ScrewtopDb Amberstore URL into which your
>                 committed category will have been inserted.
>                 Thereafter, you can use that URL to access your
>                 personal Amber IDE in which your committed categories
>                 will always be available. (When you delete a category
>                 by removing all its classes, the category is removed
>                 from your environment as well.)
>                
>                
>                 There are instructions for how to access a stored
>                 category's files directly via a ScrewtopDb URL in the
>                 introductory text presented in the IDE.
>                
>                
>                 ScrewtopDb is intended to facilitate sharing of
>                 information and it should be an easy enhancement to
>                 Amberstore to allow users to access each others
>                 environments in a read-only fashion and copy other
>                 users' categories into their own environment should
>                 that be desirable.
>                
>                
>                 I have tested it with Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. It
>                 might not work in IE, but as Rhett Butler said in Gone
>                 With the Wind: "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
>                
>                
>                 No guarantees, but it has been working well for me.
>                
>                
>                 All feedback is welcome.
>                
>                
>                 Cheers,
>                 TF
>                
>                
>                
>                
>                
>                
>        
>