On the way to 1.3 Release: images

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

So now we have images on Gforge that will be the release:

Core:
        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28859/PharoCore-1.3-13298.zip

Full:
        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28860/Pharo-1.3-13298.zip

They are the ones build by Hudson, because magically the unix vm used
there reads cog images but saves interpreter images (didn't know that).

So these images should even run on ancient VMs, as promised for 1.3.

Next steps:

        -> Build a one-click image. If nobody helps, I will do the same like 1.2:
            take the one of 1.2 and just copy some random VMs in there. Worked
            fine last time...

        -> change the links on pharo-project to point to these images for
                        http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable
                        http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable-core

        -> change the link
                        http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/unstable(-core)
            to point to the one jenkins build of 1.4

        -> add a page or 1.3 on pharo-project.org

        -> clean up a bit, no need to have pages for old .1 release.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: On the way to 1.3 Release: images

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

So now we have images on Gforge that will be the release:

Core:
       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28859/PharoCore-1.3-13298.zip

Full:
       https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28860/Pharo-1.3-13298.zip

They are the ones build by Hudson, because magically the unix vm used
there reads cog images but saves interpreter images (didn't know that).

I have just tested in Mac OS and it works with both, Cog and not Cog vms :)

So these images should even run on ancient VMs, as promised for 1.3.

Next steps:

       -> Build a one-click image. If nobody helps, I will do the same like 1.2:
           take the one of 1.2 and just copy some random VMs in there. Worked
           fine last time...

I think Igor can help us to decide which VMs to use. I would use the latest stable of Jenkis.
For the Windows VM, Torsten did some branding:
http://forum.world.st/ANN-Customized-Cog-Win32-for-Pharo-1-3-based-on-Cog-r2474-tp3701507p3701507.html

However, that's not yet integrated to jenkis. Even more, that VM is "old" and I think the bug fixed in the last days is quite important. So I would try first to update ConfigurationOfCog and gitorious in order to get a last VM. I think Igor said he was going to do that.

       -> change the links on pharo-project to point to these images for
                       http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable
                       http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable-core

       -> change the link
                       http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/unstable(-core)
           to point to the one jenkins build of 1.4

       -> add a page or 1.3 on pharo-project.org

       -> clean up a bit, no need to have pages for old .1 release.

->  add actions done: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotThree

Maybe Laurent can help since he has access :)

       Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: On the way to 1.3 Release: images

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks, Marcus!

On Aug 9, 2011, at 08:41 , Marcus Denker wrote:

[...]

> Next steps:

[...]

> -> change the links on pharo-project to point to these images for
> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable
> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable-core

Done.

> -> change the link
> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/unstable(-core)
>    to point to the one jenkins build of 1.4

I changed /unstable-core to point to https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pharo-1.4.zip

I assume there is no /unstable build (yet)?

> -> add a page or 1.3 on pharo-project.org

I added a place holder with a link to the Wiki page http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-1-3

It would be nice if we could move the text over and revise it a bit. Any taker?

> -> clean up a bit, no need to have pages for old .1 release.

On pharo-project.org?

Once we have the one-click image, we also need to update the download banner and the links on http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: On the way to 1.3 Release: images

Marcus Denker-4

Thanks!

>> -> change the link
>> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/unstable(-core)
>>    to point to the one jenkins build of 1.4
>
> I changed /unstable-core to point to https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pharo-1.4.zip
>
> I assume there is no /unstable build (yet)?

For 1.4, we want to not have multiple images anymore... this is really difficult to fix bugs in two images, it's hard to explain,
it complicated harvesting fixes (two completely different ways), it confuses new people.

So there is just one Pharo starting from 1.4

Right now, this is the same as what used to be the core image. But we will add everything there that is needed
to make it that environment that we want to use for developing Pharo itself...

>> -> clean up a bit, no need to have pages for old .1 release.
>
> On pharo-project.org?

yes... the page for 1.1.1 we should merge into the page for 1.1 (just to make it look cleaner)

        Marcus

On Aug 9, 2011, at 9:23 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So now we have images on Gforge that will be the release:
>
> Core:
>        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28859/PharoCore-1.3-13298.zip
>
> Full:
>        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28860/Pharo-1.3-13298.zip
>

> They are the ones build by Hudson, because magically the unix vm used
> there reads cog images but saves interpreter images (didn't know that).
>

> I have just tested in Mac OS and it works with both, Cog and not Cog vms :)
>
> So these images should even run on ancient VMs, as promised for 1.3.
>

> Next steps:
>
>        -> Build a one-click image. If nobody helps, I will do the same like 1.2:
>            take the one of 1.2 and just copy some random VMs in there. Worked
>            fine last time...
>

> I think Igor can help us to decide which VMs to use. I would use the latest stable of Jenkis.
> For the Windows VM, Torsten did some branding:
> http://forum.world.st/ANN-Customized-Cog-Win32-for-Pharo-1-3-based-on-Cog-r2474-tp3701507p3701507.html
>
> However, that's not yet integrated to jenkis. Even more, that VM is "old" and I think the bug fixed in the last days is quite important. So I would try first to update ConfigurationOfCog and gitorious in order to get a last VM. I think Igor said he was going to do that.

yes but he found in bug in the Code Generator (eliot is aware of it) so he could not compile the vm once merging
the last bug eliot fixed.

>        -> change the links on pharo-project to point to these images for
>                        http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable
>                        http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable-core
>
>        -> change the link
>                        http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/unstable(-core)
>            to point to the one jenkins build of 1.4
>
>        -> add a page or 1.3 on pharo-project.org
>
>        -> clean up a bit, no need to have pages for old .1 release.
>
> ->  add actions done: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ActionsInPharoOneDotThree
>
> Maybe Laurent can help since he has access :)
>

>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: On the way to 1.3 Release: images

adrian

do you have the banner file formats so that we store them on svn?

Stef

On Aug 9, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Thanks, Marcus!
>
> On Aug 9, 2011, at 08:41 , Marcus Denker wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Next steps:
>
> [...]
>
>> -> change the links on pharo-project to point to these images for
>> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable
>> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable-core
>
> Done.
>
>> -> change the link
>> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/unstable(-core)
>>    to point to the one jenkins build of 1.4
>
> I changed /unstable-core to point to https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pharo-1.4.zip
>
> I assume there is no /unstable build (yet)?
>
>> -> add a page or 1.3 on pharo-project.org
>
> I added a place holder with a link to the Wiki page http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-1-3
>
> It would be nice if we could move the text over and revise it a bit. Any taker?
>

>> -> clean up a bit, no need to have pages for old .1 release.
>
> On pharo-project.org?
>

> Once we have the one-click image, we also need to update the download banner and the links on http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

Re: On the way to 1.3 Release: images

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
marcus.denker wrote
For 1.4, we want to not have multiple images anymore...
Awesome! Fixing bugs will be much more fun with e.g. OB loaded :)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: On the way to 1.3 Release: images

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
marcus.denker wrote
on pharo-project.org... clean up a bit...
I clicked through the website a bit thinking from a new user perspective:
  * /Home -> Shortcuts section in center
     - Downloads: what is the difference between Pharo and PharoCore? It's not explained, but it'd probably be better to list only Pharo anyway. Anyone sophisticated enough to need Core/Unstable will figure out where to look.
     - the way "Downloads" is lined up with "External sites" links, makes it seem like they're related, especially since the above list is one list in two columns. I think it would be clearer to stack them vertically.
  * /pharo-download - there are two one-clicks, Cog and standard. Using the same reasoning as above, I think we should pick the one that we want newbies to use and put it there by itself (no choice = no error), and put the other in the "Custom Downloads" section below with a short description saying why someone would want to use it instead.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

On Aug 9, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> marcus.denker wrote:
>>
>> For 1.4, we want to not have multiple images anymore...
>>

> Awesome! Fixing bugs will be much more fun with e.g. OB loaded :)

The problem with multiple browsers is that we have to maintain right now two Browsers. The problem
is that one can only use one, and than the other will degrade. Or the other way around.

        Marcus

On Aug 9, 2011, at 10:48 , Marcus Denker wrote:

> Thanks!
>

>>> -> change the link
>>> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/unstable(-core)
>>>    to point to the one jenkins build of 1.4
>>
>> I changed /unstable-core to point to https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pharo-1.4.zip
>>
>> I assume there is no /unstable build (yet)?
>>
> For 1.4, we want to not have multiple images anymore... this is really difficult to fix bugs in two images, it's hard to explain,

Right, that's what I remembered too (there fore the "yet" ;). My question was more regarding what we do with those links since there probably are scripts that use the /unstable-core and /unstable URLs. For now I made both point to .../lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Pharo-1.4.zip.

>>> -> clean up a bit, no need to have pages for old .1 release.
>>
>> On pharo-project.org?
>>
> yes... the page for 1.1.1 we should merge into the page for 1.1 (just to make it look cleaner)

I would keep the old release pages for historic reasons, but move them out of the Download menu. We could add a page named "Previous releases" and link these pages from there. Then under "Download" in the menu, we only keep the most recent version.

Adrian

Re: On the way to 1.3 Release: images

Adrian Lienhard
Sure. I'll mail the Photoshop file to you privately.

Adrian