One Click Experience

M. Blanc-2
Philippe,

I can't upload files to Pier using the out-of-the-box One Click
Exerience. Safari says:

> Internal Server Error
>
> ConnectionTimedOut: Data receive timed out.
>
> Comanche/6.2 (Mac OS) Server at 'localhost' Port 8080

I don't know if this is the best solution but I've [up | down]graded
my image to KomHttpServer-gc.30 and uploads are working fine now.

More difficult for me to solve is that since the application always
uses Seaside.image, switching to ImagePersistency doesn't produce the
expected results.

Cheers

--manuel

Re: One Click Experience

Philippe Marschall
Confirmed:
http://bugs.squeak.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=6762

Cheers
Philippe

2007/11/11, M. Blanc <[hidden email]>:

> Philippe,
>
> I can't upload files to Pier using the out-of-the-box One Click
> Exerience. Safari says:
>
> > Internal Server Error
> >
> > ConnectionTimedOut: Data receive timed out.
> >
> > Comanche/6.2 (Mac OS) Server at 'localhost' Port 8080
>
> I don't know if this is the best solution but I've [up | down]graded
> my image to KomHttpServer-gc.30 and uploads are working fine now.
>
> More difficult for me to solve is that since the application always
> uses Seaside.image, switching to ImagePersistency doesn't produce the
> expected results.
>
> Cheers
>
> --manuel

Re: One Click Experience

M. Blanc-2
Lukas,

Since this One Click setup is intended for first-timers, I'd suggest
activating by default the PRImagePersistency and modifying its method
saveImageAs: by changing (or adding) two messages  :

                saveChangesInFileNamed: (image fullNameForChangesNamed:
'seaside.changes');
                saveImageInFileNamed: (image fullNameForImageNamed: 'seaside.image')

...may be even calling those methods only when the running image is
already named 'seaside'?

Cheers
--manuel

On 11 Nov 2007, at 21:23, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Confirmed:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=6762
>
> Cheers
> Philippe
>
> 2007/11/11, M. Blanc <[hidden email]>:
>> Philippe,
>>
>> I can't upload files to Pier using the out-of-the-box One Click
>> Exerience. Safari says:
>>
>>> Internal Server Error
>>>
>>> ConnectionTimedOut: Data receive timed out.
>>>
>>> Comanche/6.2 (Mac OS) Server at 'localhost' Port 8080
>>
>> I don't know if this is the best solution but I've [up | down]graded
>> my image to KomHttpServer-gc.30 and uploads are working fine now.
>>
>> More difficult for me to solve is that since the application always
>> uses Seaside.image, switching to ImagePersistency doesn't produce the
>> expected results.

Re: One Click Experience

Lukas Renggli-2
> Since this One Click setup is intended for first-timers, I'd suggest
> activating by default the PRImagePersistency and modifying its method
> saveImageAs: by changing (or adding) two messages  :

The One-Click Experience does not target to provide an image for
production. It is more like a ready-made image to experiment (I am
using for lectures and tutorials) and to develop. Having the
PRImagePersistency enabled in a development environment can cause
serious troubles, therefor it is off by default.

> saveChangesInFileNamed: (image fullNameForChangesNamed:
> 'seaside.changes');
> saveImageInFileNamed: (image fullNameForImageNamed: 'seaside.image')
>
> ...may be even calling those methods only when the running image is
> already named 'seaside'?

What does this do different to what we have now?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: One Click Experience

M. Blanc-2

On 12 Nov 2007, at 11:14, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Since this One Click setup is intended for first-timers, I'd suggest
>> activating by default the PRImagePersistency and modifying its method
>> saveImageAs: by changing (or adding) two messages  :
>
> The One-Click Experience does not target to provide an image for
> production.

Agreed. My proposal was so that newbies don't need to learn the hard
way they have to save their work on Pier... mainly because saving is
important for them but it is not obvious (can be done from http://
localhost:8080/seaside/tools/versionuploader or from the Squeak world
menu... but, in this case, only with 'save', since the image seaside.
1.image produced by 'save as a new version' will be ignored by the
One-Click setup).

> It is more like a ready-made image to experiment (I am
> using for lectures and tutorials) and to develop.

It is great. I plan to use to my web designers to experiment and learn.

> Having the
> PRImagePersistency enabled in a development environment can cause
> serious troubles, therefor it is off by default.

I beg to disagree. As PRImagePersistency is currently implemented,
the only risk I can see is that it eventually fill up the disk, which
is actually a very minor trouble.

Moreover, with my my proposed change for newbies, PRPersistency would
would save always with the same filename (seaside.image instead of
2007-11-12 11-05-38.image or whatever), so no fill up of the disk
would happen. If the newbee messes up and needs to start from a blank
slate, he would do fine decompressing the distribution zip again.

Instead, with the current setup, he would be always starting from a
blank slate, want it or not, until he discovers he can save his work.
My fear is that most newbies won't discover http://localhost:8080/
seaside/tools/versionuploader before they give up.

>> saveChangesInFileNamed: (image fullNameForChangesNamed:
>> 'seaside.changes');
>> saveImageInFileNamed: (image fullNameForImageNamed:
>> 'seaside.image')
>>
>> ...may be even calling those methods only when the running image is
>> already named 'seaside'?
>
> What does this do different to what we have now?

At start up, One-Click Experience currently ignores any image not
named 'seaside.image' at start-up. If you detect that the image is
named 'seaside.image', you know that you are running under a One-
Click setup, so you can act in a more newbee friendly way as
suggested above.

Cheers
--manuel

Re: One Click Experience

Lukas Renggli-2
> I beg to disagree. As PRImagePersistency is currently implemented,
> the only risk I can see is that it eventually fill up the disk, which
> is actually a very minor trouble.

This is the standard implementation as I use it on all my web servers.
Propre persistency is something currently lackin in Pier, but the
issue will be tackled soon.

> Instead, with the current setup, he would be always starting from a
> blank slate, want it or not, until he discovers he can save his work.
> My fear is that most newbies won't discover http://localhost:8080/
> seaside/tools/versionuploader before they give up.

The 'Seaside One-Click Experience' is not supposed to be a Magritte,
Pier, Scriptaculous, RSRSS, Comet, ... distribution, even though these
packages are all included. Its goal is to provide an easy start into
Seaside, for people that want to quickly take a look at it. I
originally created this package for a newbie tutorial I was giving at
the CHOOSE Forum 2007, Languages for the Web [1]. If people discover
Pier, that's fine, but this is not the goal.

Cheers,
Lukas

[1] http://www.choose.s-i.ch/Events/forum2007.html

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: One Click Experience

keith1y
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I beg to disagree. As PRImagePersistency is currently implemented,
>> the only risk I can see is that it eventually fill up the disk, which
>> is actually a very minor trouble.
>>

> This is the standard implementation as I use it on all my web servers.
> Propre persistency is something currently lackin in Pier, but the
> issue will be tackled soon.

ahem, I think Magma persistency counts as proper don't you. I mean how
much more proper do you want?

Keith

Re: One Click Experience

Lukas Renggli-2
>>> I beg to disagree. As PRImagePersistency is currently implemented,
>>> the only risk I can see is that it eventually fill up the disk,
>>> which
>>> is actually a very minor trouble.
>>>

>> This is the standard implementation as I use it on all my web
>> servers.
>> Propre persistency is something currently lackin in Pier, but the
>> issue will be tackled soon.
>
> ahem, I think Magma persistency counts as proper don't you. I mean how
> much more proper do you want?

Sorry, I didn't want to offend you. I was only thinking about what is
included with the core package, not available as an extension.

Frankly I must say that I neither tried Magma nor the XML storage. I
don't know if any of these are maintained?

What is your experience with the Magma storage? Do you have productive
instances successfully running with Maga?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: One Click Experience

Jason Johnson-5
Is there a universe somewhere I can load magma and it's Pier interface
to experiment?