One-Click Installer for Cuis

EuanM
I've just recently put-together a cross-platform Installation Tutorial
for beginners to Smalltalk.

I was keen to include Cuis in the exercise.

One thing that becomes clear in the comparison is that Cuis is a good
beginner's environment from the point of view of size and complexity
and their bearing in learnability.

It is however, the worst Smalltalk (of the 4 in the tutorial) to get
downloaded and installed.

This seems a pity.

Would anyone be willing to help me put together a One-Click Install
package, similar to Squeak's and Pharo's?

(My plan is to do the grunt-work, if other people are willing to
indulge my noob questions while I do it)

Is there a particular place that it could be hosted, once ready?

Would anyone disagree with a 6-monthly update cycle for the One-Click installer?

(Frequent enough to send a signal to interested beginners that the
project is alive and kicking.  Infrequent enough that there is not
much work to be done)

Cheers,
   Euan

Re: One-Click Installer for Cuis

Juan Vuletich-4
On 14/11/2015 02:12 a.m., EuanM wrote:
> I've just recently put-together a cross-platform Installation Tutorial
> for beginners to Smalltalk.
>
> I was keen to include Cuis in the exercise.

Again, thank you for this.

> One thing that becomes clear in the comparison is that Cuis is a good
> beginner's environment from the point of view of size and complexity
> and their bearing in learnability.
>
> It is however, the worst Smalltalk (of the 4 in the tutorial) to get
> downloaded and installed.
>
> This seems a pity.

Please take a look at
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/tree/master/Documentation
. There are three 'Getting Started' guides, for different OSes and user
style / preferences. They were tried (as described) in Linux, MacOsX and
Windows.

> Would anyone be willing to help me put together a One-Click Install
> package, similar to Squeak's and Pharo's?
>
> (My plan is to do the grunt-work, if other people are willing to
> indulge my noob questions while I do it)

I believe that if you take the One-Click for Squeak or Pharo, and
replace the image with a Cuis image, it should work.

> Is there a particular place that it could be hosted, once ready?
>
> Would anyone disagree with a 6-monthly update cycle for the One-Click installer?
>
> (Frequent enough to send a signal to interested beginners that the
> project is alive and kicking.  Infrequent enough that there is not
> much work to be done)

Yep, this sounds great. The natural place is
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev isn't it?

> Cheers,
>     Euan

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: One-Click Installer for Cuis

Hannes Hirzel
On 11/17/15, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/11/2015 02:12 a.m., EuanM wrote:
>> I've just recently put-together a cross-platform Installation Tutorial
>> for beginners to Smalltalk.
>>
>> I was keen to include Cuis in the exercise.
>>

> Again, thank you for this.
>
>> One thing that becomes clear in the comparison is that Cuis is a good
>> beginner's environment from the point of view of size and complexity
>> and their bearing in learnability.
>>
>> It is however, the worst Smalltalk (of the 4 in the tutorial) to get
>> downloaded and installed.
>>
>> This seems a pity.
>
> Please take a look at
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/tree/master/Documentation
>
> . There are three 'Getting Started' guides, for different OSes and user
> style / preferences. They were tried (as described) in Linux, MacOsX and
> Windows.
>
>> Would anyone be willing to help me put together a One-Click Install
>> package, similar to Squeak's and Pharo's?
>>
>> (My plan is to do the grunt-work, if other people are willing to
>> indulge my noob questions while I do it)
>
> I believe that if you take the One-Click for Squeak or Pharo, and
> replace the image with a Cuis image, it should work.

It is worthwhile to have a look as well at the Squeak all-in-one package.

I have done it in the past in an adhoc way about by taking
http://ftp.squeak.org/5.0/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.zip.

There is quite some discussion about how this was constructed on the
Squeak list and people are willing to answer questions.

--Hannes

>> Is there a particular place that it could be hosted, once ready?
>>
>> Would anyone disagree with a 6-monthly update cycle for the One-Click
>> installer?
>>
>> (Frequent enough to send a signal to interested beginners that the
>> project is alive and kicking.  Infrequent enough that there is not
>> much work to be done)
>
> Yep, this sounds great. The natural place is
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev isn't it?
>

>> Cheers,
>>     Euan
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: One-Click Installer for Cuis

KenDickey
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 08:02:05 +0100
"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is worthwhile to have a look as well at the Squeak all-in-one package.
>
> I have done it in the past in an adhoc way about by taking
> http://ftp.squeak.org/5.0/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.zip.

Note that Squeak 5.0 uses the new Spur memory format which is incompatable with the older (4.x and Cuis) image format.

Cheers,
-KenD

-KenD

Re: One-Click Installer for Cuis

EuanM
That's a useful thing to know!

Is there a sense of when Cuis will be able to use the Spur VM?  Squeak
5.0 is *much* faster on ARM than Squeak 4.6 (thanks to Tim Rowledge
and co).

And my own usecase for Cuis is the Raspberry Pi.  (and of course, now
also development on my Chromebook)

Cheers,
    EuanM

On 11/21/15, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 08:02:05 +0100
> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It is worthwhile to have a look as well at the Squeak all-in-one package.
>>
>> I have done it in the past in an adhoc way about by taking
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/5.0/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.zip.
>
> Note that Squeak 5.0 uses the new Spur memory format which is incompatable
> with the older (4.x and Cuis) image format.

Thanks, Ken for the correction. I based the ad-hoc Cuis all-in-one on
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/Squeak-4.6-All-in-One.zip

--Hannes

> Cheers,
> -KenD

Re: One-Click Installer for Cuis

KenDickey
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 23:05:26 +0000
EuanM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a sense of when Cuis will be able to use the Spur VM?

You pushed me over the edge.  I am now/currently working on this.

> > Note that Squeak 5.0 uses the new Spur memory format which is incompatable with the older (4.x and Cuis) image format.

FYI, stkspurlinuxhtARM-15.24.3386.tgz can run Squeak 5.0 images on an ARM Chromebook under Crouton/Ubuntu.

Cheers,
-KenD

-KenD