One-click Windows comment

blake watson
I set up the regular Pharo (since I managed to get that instead of the
one-click), then decided to try the actual one-click.

The previous one-click had a Windows shortcut ".lnk" whereas this one
uses a batch file. The former is preferable, as the batch file opens a
console window and leaves it open. You can close it--but that's not
always the case in Windows.

I created a link by using "Create shortcut" on CogVM and then copying
the parameter out of the batch file, and pasting it into the "Target":

[yourPharoDriveAndDir\]CogVM.exe Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.4-one-click.image

===Blake===

Re: One-click Windows comment

Herby Vojčík
The ideal way would probably that .bat (or .cmd or .vbs) creates the
.lnk by some ActiveX magic, runs it and quits; subseuqntly .lnk could be
clicked directly.

Herby

blake wrote:

> I set up the regular Pharo (since I managed to get that instead of the
> one-click), then decided to try the actual one-click.
>
> The previous one-click had a Windows shortcut ".lnk" whereas this one
> uses a batch file. The former is preferable, as the batch file opens a
> console window and leaves it open. You can close it--but that's not
> always the case in Windows.
>
> I created a link by using "Create shortcut" on CogVM and then copying
> the parameter out of the batch file, and pasting it into the "Target":
>
> [yourPharoDriveAndDir\]CogVM.exe Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.4-one-click.image
>
> ===Blake===

Re: One-click Windows comment

Gastón Dall' Oglio
Hi.

Personally, I hate windows links :) The .bat can be have /C parameter for automatically close the open windows. Like this:
start "%~dp0\CogVM.exe" "%~dp0\Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.4-one-click.image"

Another little fix, the files readme.txt and OneClick.txt have line ending for Unix, and in Windows for default those are open in the Notepad, then all is showed in one line. Maybe those file can be shipped with LF+CR line end.

Regards.

blake wrote:
I set up the regular Pharo (since I managed to get that instead of the
one-click), then decided to try the actual one-click.

The previous one-click had a Windows shortcut ".lnk" whereas this one
uses a batch file. The former is preferable, as the batch file opens a
console window and leaves it open. You can close it--but that's not
always the case in Windows.

I created a link by using "Create shortcut" on CogVM and then copying
the parameter out of the batch file, and pasting it into the "Target":

[yourPharoDriveAndDir\]CogVM.exe Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.4-one-click.image

===Blake===

Re: One-click Windows comment

Ricardo Moran
There is no need for a .Ink or .bat in Windows. You can just point to the correct image in the .ini file so that users will only click on the .exe (which should be renamed to Pharo.exe, BTW).

If I remember correctly, older versions of Pharo did it this way, why did it change?

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is no need for a .Ink or .bat in Windows. You can just point to the
> correct image in the .ini file so that users will only click on the .exe
> (which should be renamed to Pharo.exe, BTW).
>
> If I remember correctly, older versions of Pharo did it this way, why did it
> change?

I would've sworn I recently downloaded a one-click that had a
.LNK--that was where I got the idea to do it for this one. It even
referenced the .LNK in the readme.bat.

That said, I have the Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.zip file handy here,
and it does just use an .INI file and tell Windows users to just click
on the pharo.exe.

So, I think all possible ways of starting Pharo have been explored at
this point. :-)

===Blake===

Re: One-click Windows comment

Ben Coman
blake wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There is no need for a .Ink or .bat in Windows. You can just point to the
>> correct image in the .ini file so that users will only click on the .exe
>> (which should be renamed to Pharo.exe, BTW).
>>
>> If I remember correctly, older versions of Pharo did it this way, why did it
>> change?
>>

> I would've sworn I recently downloaded a one-click that had a
> .LNK--that was where I got the idea to do it for this one. It even
> referenced the .LNK in the readme.bat.
>
> That said, I have the Pharo-1.3-13315-OneClick.zip file handy here,
> and it does just use an .INI file and tell Windows users to just click
> on the pharo.exe.
>
> So, I think all possible ways of starting Pharo have been explored at
> this point. :-)
>
> ===Blake===

The INI file next to the EXE appears to be missing
ImageFile=Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.4-one-click.image

btw Though I don't have an opinion either way, I am curious about the
change of the image name from just Pharo-1.4.image, in case I can learn
something about the management of such things.

cheers -ben

Re: One-click Windows comment

blake watson
> I would've sworn I recently downloaded a one-click that had a
> .LNK--that was where I got the idea to do it for this one. It even
> referenced the .LNK in the readme.bat.

Seaside one-click does this, that's what I was remembering. But that's
not Pharo.

Re: One-click Windows comment

Marcus Denker-4

On Apr 20, 2012, at 11:49 AM, Herby Vojčík wrote:

> The ideal way would probably that .bat (or .cmd or .vbs) creates the .lnk by some ActiveX magic, runs it and quits; subseuqntly .lnk could be clicked directly.

We are planning of having installers for the three platforms... so we can make them more in the style that people expect.

But this will be done step by step and slowly (like everything :-)

For the meantime, I added a catch-all tracker for ideas how to improve the one-click:

Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: One-click Windows comment

philippeback
Inno Setup would be a good thing to use for creating a Windows installer.

I use it regularly. Interested in a sample?

Phil

--
Philippe Back
"Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"

Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges

Re: One-click Windows comment

Igor Stasenko
On 21 April 2012 10:48, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Inno Setup would be a good thing to use for creating a Windows installer.
>
> http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
>
> I use it regularly. Interested in a sample?

Since we're using automated builds, it is important that install
packaging tools can run from command line
and don't require any user interaction(s) in order to create an output.
is inno installer allows to do that?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.