One more project proposal for GSoC

Dennis Schetinin
Rustem Kkubbatov (http://gsoc2012.esug.org/rustem-khubbatov), another student I mentor in Tver State University, decided to try his luck with a project for GSoC. The problem is he can't currently choose a better approach.

The original idea is to build a two-tier Human-Machine Interface (HMI) system (which can be used in a wide range of projects) with Pharo image as back-end (where a model lives) and Amber-based client as a front-end. But this thing seems to be "a little bit" too large for GSoC, isn't it?

An alternative task could be to build a framework for message exchanging between Pharo and Amber. I could be the first mentor for a project based on original idea, or the second/first (depending on if anyone interested) for communication framework.

Any ideas and advices are welcome (ASAP). Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin

Re: [gsoc-mentors] One more project proposal for GSoC

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 2 apr 2012, at 19:41, Dennis Schetinin wrote:
> The original idea is to build a two-tier Human-Machine Interface (HMI) system (which can be used in a wide range of projects) with Pharo image as back-end (where a model lives) and Amber-based client as a front-end. But this thing seems to be "a little bit" too large for GSoC, isn't it?

As long as he's able to define value-delivering small, concrete steps it is ok to have big goals.

Stephan

HMI (was: One more project proposal for GSoC)

Dennis Schetinin
So, here is the proposal:

Name: Khubbatov Rustem

Difficulty Level: Intermediate

Description

 A framework for building Human-Machine Interfaces with Pharo back-end providing model, and presentation front-end in Amber.

Technical Details

A concrete task that should be implemented with this project is a prototype of UI for network management system or SCADA. Server-side (Pharo) will simulate network components and their data, and provide relevant events for client (Amber). The latter will present network items, their state and associated information, and provide UI to control them. An important part of this system is a communication layer between Amber and Pharo.

Benefits for the Student

The student will gain experience in building client-server applications with advanced UI and providing two-way communication between client and server.

Benefits for the Community

An ability to create highly interactive web-based applications is a must-have feature for any modern development system. Amber is a bleeding edge in this area in Smalltalk world. A good communication layer between Amber and (for example) Pharo is a very appealing decision for building complex client-server systems.

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin
Sent with Sparrow

On Monday, 2 April 2012 г. at 21:47, Janko Mivšek wrote:

Hi Dennis,

I'd suggest to go ahead. This is first Amber-related project, so it seems even more interesting. But hurry up. Let Rustem prepare the proposal and you post here then we'll open the project page.

Best regards
Janko

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: HMI

Ben Coman

I am an electrical engineer whose work includes SCADA programing for
operator interfaces of industrial plants using Citect [1] and a bit of
Wonderware [2].  Both of these products include very nice sample
projects for their tutorials - which would provide a student a good
introduction to the functionality required of a HMI development tool.

What do you mean two-tier HMI?  In my work, tier1 would be a PLC
containing the running control model of the plant, providing measured
values to the control logic programmed in the PLC and driving relays and
actuators.  Tier2 is the HMI that provides the mimic of the PLC as a
graphical representation of the plant, colourizing warning and alarm
conditions, fill levels of tanks and allowing the operator to send
commands to the PLC to start machinery.  Something doing this based in
Smalltalk would be wonderful.

[1]
http://www2.schneider-electric.com/sites/corporate/en/products-services/automation-control/products-offer/range-presentation.page?c_filepath=/templatedata/Offer_Presentation/3_Range_Datasheet/data/en/shared/automation_and_control/citect_scada.xml#

[2] http://global.wonderware.com/EN/Pages/WonderwareInTouchHMI.aspx

Dennis Schetinin wrote:

> So, here is the proposal:
>

> Name: Khubbatov Rustem
>

> Difficulty Level: Intermediate
>
> Description
>  A framework for building Human-Machine Interfaces with Pharo back-end providing model, and presentation front-end in Amber.
>
> Technical Details
>

> A concrete task that should be implemented with this project is a prototype of UI for network management system or SCADA. Server-side (Pharo) will simulate network components and their data, and provide relevant events for client (Amber). The latter will present network items, their state and associated information, and provide UI to control them. An important part of this system is a communication layer between Amber and Pharo.
>

> Benefits for the Student
>

> The student will gain experience in building client-server applications with advanced UI and providing two-way communication between client and server.
>

> Benefits for the Community
>
> An ability to create highly interactive web-based applications is a must-have feature for any modern development system. Amber is a bleeding edge in this area in Smalltalk world. A good communication layer between Amber and (for example) Pharo is a very appealing decision for building complex client-server systems.
>

> Best regards,
> Dennis Schetinin
>

> On Monday, 2 April 2012 г. at 21:47, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>

>> Hi Dennis,
>>
>> I'd suggest to go ahead. This is first Amber-related project, so it seems even more interesting. But hurry up. Let Rustem prepare the proposal and you post here then we'll open the project page.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])> wrote:
>>
>>> Rustem Kkubbatov (http://gsoc2012.esug.org/rustem-khubbatov), another student I mentor in Tver State University, decided to try his luck with a project for GSoC. The problem is he can't currently choose a better approach.
>>>
>>> The original idea is to build a two-tier Human-Machine Interface (HMI) system (which can be used in a wide range of projects) with Pharo image as back-end (where a model lives) and Amber-based client as a front-end. But this thing seems to be "a little bit" too large for GSoC, isn't it?
>>>
>>> An alternative task could be to build a framework for message exchanging between Pharo and Amber. I could be the first mentor for a project based on original idea, or the second/first (depending on if anyone interested) for communication framework.
>>>
>>> Any ideas and advices are welcome (ASAP). Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Dennis Schetinin

Re: HMI

Dennis Schetinin
Thank you for the references.

"Two-tier" here means that UI (in this project) is running in browser. We have a server that provides "logic" (model for UI) and a client that just represents and allows to control that model (the latter translates those control actions into commands for devices it controls). Over the longer term, there could be different types of clients (desktop, mobile, etc.).

…And one more thing: We see HMI in a wider perspective then just SCADA, as this approach (I hope) can be applied to network management, building automation, time and attendance etc. All these applications have many common aspects and it would great to extract them to an extensible platform that allows to build any kind of these systems or even their combinations. And I see that Smalltalk is the best tool to build such a platform today …Except maybe data-acquisition part as it does not have sufficient mass of libraries for different protocols. So, in fact I see a three-tier system: data-acquisition subsystem, business logic subsystem, and UI subsystem with at least two of them written in Smalltalk.

So, that was the inspiration for the project that I suggested to Rustem as a term project some time ago and now he translated to the GSoC proposal.

BTW, the project does not have the second mentor yet.

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin
Sent with Sparrow

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Dennis Schetinin <[hidden email] ([hidden email])> wrote:
[...]

GSoC 2013 Modbus was Re: HMI

Ben Coman
Hi Dennis,

We corresponded about this time last year when you where getting the
Amber-MMI GSoC project started.  I have just suggested a 2013 GSoC
project [1] to implement the Modbus industrial communications protocol
in Smalltalk.  I think it has application to provide a data acquisition
layer for the Amber-MMI project you mentored last year.   I believe the
industrial automation sector doesn't need Smalltalk to support a large
number of comms protocols.  Modbus together with the Amber-MMI should be
sufficient to crack the chicken-and-egg problem.  An optimistic scenario
would be Modbus helping Amber-MMI find a revenue stream from industrial
plant clients, which funds additional requirements for the Amber-MMI,
and as that grows in features it becomes more worthwhile for someone to
fund other industrial protocols.

I know I did not step-up as a second mentor with you last year - but at
that time I was really not confident in my Smalltalk ability and also I
was working a 60 hour week on a large construction job that was behind
schedule, yet I was wondering....
could I interest you in being second mentor for the Modbus project [1] ?

Since the past 12 months I am now confident in my Smalltalk programming,
and I have the domain knowledge of configuring and troubleshooting
Modbus from programming PLCs and CitectSCADA as part of my employment.
I foresee I would do most of the leg-work, but I'd like someone with
greater OO experience to advise on best practice OO architecture.  A bit
more about me here [2] and also [3].

What do you think?

cheers -ben

[1] http://gsoc2013.esug.org/ideas#h-40
[2] http://www.linkedin.com/in/bencoman
[3] http://blog.openinworld.com/

On 04/04/1012 Dennis Schetinin wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> Benefits for the Student
>>>

>>> The student will gain experience in building client-server applications with advanced UI and providing two-way communication between client and server.
>>>

>>> Benefits for the Community
>>>
>>> An ability to create highly interactive web-based applications is a must-have feature for any modern development system. Amber is a bleeding edge in this area in Smalltalk world. A good communication layer between Amber and (for example) Pharo is a very appealing decision for building complex client-server systems.

Re: GSoC 2013 Modbus was Re: HMI

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

Just to know that you have all my support on this project. Getting
Smalltalk back into industrial plants (we were already there) is
certainly a path to better professionalization and monetization of our
efforts as a community. Which then returns back to help to be more live,
lively and to earn for live out of our passion.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: GSoC 2013 Modbus was Re: HMI

Dennis Schetinin
Hello Ben,

Just to be short:

 could I interest you in being second mentor for the Modbus project [1] ?

Absolutely yes!

I'm not an expert in SCADA systems, but my primary work is a little bit related with this kind of systems, and I was promised to get help and support from one of colleagues who has much more experience with SCADA systems (and used to be a Smalltalker in the past). AFAIK, Modbus is considered a protocol that is old enough to be "slowly getting outdated", but it is still very popular and powerful enough, and will remain it for many years, I believe. Taking into account its simplicity, I can say it is a very good starting point of a Smalltalk-based SCADA. Although, the Amber-MMI project was more about (web-based) UI, I think most of the results we achieved in that project can be applied to SCADA.

So, thank you for the offer, I'll be glad to take part in this project.

--

Best regards,

Dennis Schetinin

 Dennis Schetinin wrote:

[...]

Its great to hear your enthusiasm. Thanks Dennis.

Yes Modbus is old, which shows it has withstood the test of time.
"Slowly" would definitely be the term I'd use when thinking about Modbus
being outdated.  Sure there are other newer protocols with more bells
and whistles which might make sense for new plants, but they add a lot
of unnecessary complexity for existing plants.  Many plants have a 20
year old infrastructure and consistency with existing equipment is
paramount.  Introducing a new protocol is generally avoided due to
retraining requirements and supporting two systems in parallel.

In my work I have come across small plants that could not justify the
_capital_ cost of several thousand dollars for CitectSCADA licenses, so
instead they run using just field push buttons and gauges.  However they
could pay for the engineering _service_ to develop a custom HMI
application.  Business can be funny that way with different accounting
rules applying in each case. That would be the obvious initial target
market - small plants that don't have any existing SCADA.

cheers -ben
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenfield_project#Greenfield_land>